GMS

Im pregnant and willing to apply for AOS, can I ask for a health insurance?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello, I really hope you can help me with this. 

I`m 3 months pregnant and my husband is a permanent resident, I don`t live in the US though, I live in Peru (sorry if my english has some mistakes) We have been waiting for 2 years to get my residency and finally be together. We wanted everything to be super legal. 

Anyway, with my pregnancy we would like to be together ASAP...but WITH HEALTH INSURANCE. 

I would like to enter the US with my Tourist Visa and then apply for the AOS. If I just apply for the AOS can I apply for a health insurance RIGHT AWAY? so my baby and I could be covered? According to Health Market place I can get coverage because I´m changing my status to resident (or in this case AOS). How do I do that? what papers do I have to present? HOW DO I ENROLL TO HEALTH INSURANCE WHILE MY AOS is pending? HELLLLP! 

Here are some facts:

1. My priority date is 17-Jul-15.

2. According to the Visa Bulleting I can apply for an AOS

3. Visa Bulletin has 8-may-15 as priority date

About my SSN:

I do have a SSN. 10 years ago I had a J1 visa and work for 3 months in a cafe (enter and left the country as required) ...and back then I was given a SSN. Is it still active? can I use it to get my Health insurance?

Do I have to upgrade my SSN if I have tourist visa?

thanks a lot for your help!!!

really appreciate it. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like in a few months you will have your immigrant visa interview.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

A few things...

1. You cannot file for AOS. AOS by marriage is for people currently within the US.
  2. You can file for an immigrant visa now that your PD is current. However, this likely will not occur before you give birth. Even if it was, you will very likely not be permitted to fly if you are that far along in your pregnancy.
  3. 28 minutes ago, GMS said:

I would like to enter the US with my Tourist Visa and then apply for the AOS

You cannot enter the US on a non-immigrant visa with the intention on staying in the US. That is visa fraud. Do NOT do this.
  4. Your SSN is still valid, but that doesn't really have any impact on your case. You do not qualify for any US health insurance because of it.
Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Note that neither health insurance nor babies are cheap.

Also, out of curiosity, why didn't your husband sign you up for health insurance last month? The marketplace was open for over a month less than a month ago,  you could have had you husband add you to his plan then if I'm not mistaken. When the market place opens, you don't need a qualifying event to get insurance or add a spouse onto a plan.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

****** As Op is asking about illegally immigrating and comitting visa fraud, and her question has been answered, closing this thread. *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.