Adam&Allison

Cigna Global for health insurance queries?

3 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Quick question for you. I've been searching for good health insurance providers in Pennsylvania, and I was pretty much set on an IBX Gold PPO plan that is gonna cost around $500p/m. However I recently found Cigna Global - and I'm not really sure whether to trust them or not. Firstly, their domestic website does not list Pennsylvania as a state that they cover, however I received an email from a sales representitive who is saying that their domestic website applies to United States citizens only, and that because I'm an expat moving from the UK to the USA, their health coverage would cover me in Pennsylvania. Couple of things around this that makes me suspicious, first of all I've NEVER heard of this being a thing, that if you're an expat you can get coverage US citizens cannot. And secondly, their premiums are way, way lower than the average. Typically, as I said, Gold plans for me are around $4-500, I'm 25, no health problems apart from mild asthma, and I was fine with that - however Cigna's Platinum plan is only $330 per month.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm trying to get more information out of the sales rep emailing me but he seems to be going around the houses with everything.

"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future." - John F. Kennedy

Well this seems to be expat international medical insurance, which really doesn't apply to you. You will be an expat of the UK, but you aren't an American expat.. and that's what this coverage is for. It's medical insurance that would be useful if you were an American and then spent a good deal of time in another country. This is what I call ''travel medical insurance'', and it's a very good one at that, just not useful to you here in America. Also it wouldn't absolve you of the penalty. IBX is going to be your best bet, if you've found nothing cheaper.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

12 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Well this seems to be expat international medical insurance, which really doesn't apply to you. You will be an expat of the UK, but you aren't an American expat.. and that's what this coverage is for. It's medical insurance that would be useful if you were an American and then spent a good deal of time in another country. This is what I call ''travel medical insurance'', and it's a very good one at that, just not useful to you here in America. Also it wouldn't absolve you of the penalty. IBX is going to be your best bet, if you've found nothing cheaper.

Aye looks like IBX is gonna be my best bet, seems thats the only coverage I'm gonna be able to get in my county.

"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future." - John F. Kennedy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.