blackeyedsusan

AP travel experience

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

I just wanted to share our recent experience using AP. My husband and I were in Haiti when the changes regarding the seven countries being placed on hold were announced. I was a little worried, but not too much since nobody really bothers with Haiti. (And I know the media always blows things out of proportion anyway.) We traveled back through Ft Lauderdale on February 1. He had his EAD/AP card, passport, I-485 NOA, and our marriage license. We went through the line that was marked "Visitor's with Visas." They took his fingerprints and photo, checked my passport, and then told me to go wait downstairs while they took him to another room. Talk about stress! His original POE was Miami back in May, and they let us wait together. So for some reason I hadn't prepared myself to be separated.

Turns out I didn't need to worry, though. They didn't ask him a single question or ask to see any other documents. Two hours later, they just called him up to the window to take his passport back and he was free to go. I'm assuming they were running a quick check to make sure he hadn't committed any crimes?

So other than me freaking out because they separated us, it was a completely hassle free experience. I have to say though, the CBP officers in Ft Lauderdale were much meaner than the ones in Miami. It wasn't as busy, but it wouldn't be my first choice for entry.

Just wanted to share, hopefully it will calm some of you worried about getting back in with AP.

K-1 Process:

12/04/15 - Engaged (L)

12/17/15 - K-1 submitted

12/31/15 - NOA1

02/09/16 - NOA2

03/16/16 - NVC case number assigned

03/17/16 - In transit to consulate

03/22/16 - "Ready" on CEAC tracker

04/14/16 - Received packet 3 by email

04/15/16 - Medical exam

04/28/16 - Interview - Approved!

05/25/16 - POE at Miami

07/08/16 - Married! (L)

08/09/16 - Filed for AOS

08/12/16 - Case received

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thank you for sharing your experience. I traveled to Mexico and back to the USA through Austin back in January without any problems. I did not even have to go through secondary revisions. I am wanting to travel again, but I am a bit skirmish given the current situation.

I have a EAD with AP, currently adjusting my status through marriage.

Edited by aalonso93

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.