5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

This post is not a question. It just contains information for those who want a license while AOS. So, I did a lot of reading about how you can prove legal status while you are waiting for AOS and you haven't even received a work permit yet. Basically, you're legal, but there is no document that says you are legal until a certain date. My husband's K-1 expired on January 25th, but we married the beginning of January and filed the AOS paperwork. He got his US license in December, but it expired on January 25th. When we got the notice of his case receipt, we took that, his passport, his SSN, and old license to the DMV. They extended his license for an extra six months (that EAD better come in that time) and just put Restriction 9 in little letters. On the back, restriction 9 means the legality of his license pends legal status. So basically, he can keep on driving even while he doesn't have his EAD. This is awesome, because it keeps me from having to take him everywhere!

So, if you already got a license while your fiancé was here during a K-1, try to go into the DMV and renew it. Don't just assume that they won't do it. I almost didn't want to try, but my husband insisted, and it worked!

Met: 09/14/2013

Started Dating: 02/09/2014

Began Long Distance Relationship: 02/13/2014

I moved to Costa Rica: 01/15/2015

My parents visited and he proposed: 06/29/2016

Packet Sent: 07/01/2016

NOA1: 07/05/2016

NOA2: 08/25/2016

NVC Tracking number: 09/12/2016

Medical: 09/28/2016

Interview: 10/11/2016

POE: 10/28/2016

Wedding: 1/6/17 !!!!!

AOS and EAD Packet Sent: 1/18/17

NOA1: 1/23/17

Bio Appointment: 2/27/17

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Just now, Laurel0708 said:

So, if you already got a license while your fiancé was here during a K-1, try to go into the DMV and renew it. Don't just assume that they won't do it. I almost didn't want to try, but my husband insisted, and it worked!

I've been here since 26 of Jan on IR1 visa , haven't received my SSN yet , but I need to get a licence , can I get it without having SSC ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

I would get your SSN first. We did that after my then fiancé had been here a week. It's pretty necessary for you to do things like get a bank account, license, insurance, etc.

Met: 09/14/2013

Started Dating: 02/09/2014

Began Long Distance Relationship: 02/13/2014

I moved to Costa Rica: 01/15/2015

My parents visited and he proposed: 06/29/2016

Packet Sent: 07/01/2016

NOA1: 07/05/2016

NOA2: 08/25/2016

NVC Tracking number: 09/12/2016

Medical: 09/28/2016

Interview: 10/11/2016

POE: 10/28/2016

Wedding: 1/6/17 !!!!!

AOS and EAD Packet Sent: 1/18/17

NOA1: 1/23/17

Bio Appointment: 2/27/17

4 hours ago, kareelina said:

I've been here since 26 of Jan on IR1 visa , haven't received my SSN yet , but I need to get a licence , can I get it without having SSC ?

Check the local DMV site to get all the requirements.

If you are in California you can get one without even proving legal status, but that one is not great for anywhere else or Federal identification.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Just now, Laurel0708 said:

I would get your SSN first. We did that after my then fiancé had been here a week. It's pretty necessary for you to do things like get a bank account, license, insurance, etc.

I've just received my SSN  now I'll be able to get a bank account

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.