JayJayH

Trump's newest tweet is really scary

127 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, eieio said:

Trump appointed a constitutionalist judge. Conservative and Republicans are untitled in calling this a great pick. Why? Because he will make his decisions based on the constitution.

Democrats are opposing this Supreme Court pick. Why? Because he will make his decisions based on the constitution.

Unfortunately neither group (Dems/GOP) cares that much about the constitution. Just how they can bend it to their will.

Conservatives are excited because they know the judge will interpret the constitution in a way that supports their conservative ideals. I've already cited an example where that is happening with the 1st amendment. Allowing people to discriminate based on their "1st amendment freedom of religion" is an interpretation of the constitution that supports conservative ideals. That is not written in the constitution literally. 

As for the 2nd amendment - It is literally a sentence long. A literal interpretation is merely that people can keep and bear arms. Great, that says nothing about what kind of arms they can keep. If we want to think literally why don't we only allow people to keep 18th century muskets? Wouldn't that be most appropriate?

Edited by bcking

Just now, eieio said:

We don't get to decide if the constitution is conservative or liberal. It is what it is. Conservatives stand with the constitution. 

Why don't you actually respond to the arguments instead of just make grandiose statements?

The 1st Amendment states only that the government will not pass laws infringing on the free exercise of religion, or supporting the establishment of a particular religion. That is all. That is the literal meaning.

Conservatives have tried to "bend" that to mean that a Mom and Pop shop that makes fried chicken can choose not to sell to someone because they are gay. That is an interpretation. That is not "the constitution". 

5 minutes ago, eieio said:

I agree the 1st amendment is under assault. The attacks have all been coming from liberals lately.

Examples please?

In case you have forgotten:

" Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. "

And remember we are talking about LITERAL readings of that sentence only. No interpretations. As you said, it is "under attack" from the left. Please provide examples of where the left has attacked the LITERAL meaning of that sentence.

I'll give you a hint - Focus on "Congress shall make no law..."

Edited by bcking

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
14 minutes ago, bcking said:

Examples please?

In case you have forgotten:

" Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. "

And remember we are talking about LITERAL readings of that sentence only. No interpretations. As you said, it is "under attack" from the left. Please provide examples of where the left has attacked the LITERAL meaning of that sentence.

I'll give you a hint - Focus on "Congress shall make no law..."

Plenty of videos out there showing liberals trying to and sometimes successfully so, shutting down free speech. I could post them...but I would be given another break.....as they are profanity laced.

1 minute ago, eieio said:

Plenty of videos out there showing liberals trying to and sometimes successfully so, shutting down free speech. I could post them...but I would be given another break.....as they are profanity laced.

If they were credible, they wouldn't be profanity laced. 

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

2 minutes ago, eieio said:

*woosh* over the head. That doesn't violate the 1st amendment. The 1st amendment is about CONGRESS making laws prohibiting/abridging the freedom of speech.

So unless you have examples of CONGRESS trying to pass laws to limit freedom of speech, then "liberals" aren't attacking the 1st Amendment. It has nothing to do with the people trying to limit freedom of speech, only the government.

I even quoted the amendment for you. It's written right there. Quite obvious what the literal interpretation would be.

EDIT: For it to violate the 1st amendment, the amendment would have to read "The people of the USA should not yada yada"

Edited by bcking

32 minutes ago, eieio said:

You are a conservative?

are you a liberal?

I'm assuming by his lack of response, eieio has no actual examples of "filthy liberals" trying to violate the 1st amendment, since the 1st amendment only addresses Congress establishing laws.

Tell me again how it is only conservatives who value the constitution? We all value it, we just all take different meaning from it.

Just now, bcking said:

I'm assuming by his lack of response, eieio has no actual examples of "filthy liberals" trying to violate the 1st amendment, since the 1st amendment only addresses Congress establishing laws.

Tell me again how it is only conservatives who value the constitution? We all value it, we just all take different meaning from it.

to be fair i don't think trump takes meaning from from the constitution, doubtful he's read it. just like those eo's president bannon wrote up.