inman

Naturalization - estranged

3 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

I have a question before I commit to an immigration lawyer, just want to know opinions from you all before doing all that.  

My situation is.. Married for 9 years with my wife US citizen, been together for 12 years. Never did my citizenship due to monetary issues, we are in good terms and all. But she is moving back to her parents in another state after splitting up and later on I guess we will get our divorce going, as of now not yet again due to monetary issues.  I got my Green card through the adjustment of status almost 5 years ago. 4 months to go for 5 years. 

What is the best route to get my naturalization done?  what is confusing me a lot is the requirements for naturalization which I will paste below.

"

• the applicant has been married to and living in a valid marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse for all three years;"  

Does this mean that as long as she isn't living with me I cannot do this?   what do I do in this case all?   please advice I am very confused..    

Thank you very much! appreciate the help greatly. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

nope, you will file under the 5 year rule, 90 days before you have been a GC holder you can file for citizenship

it is not based on how you became a resident, but that you have been a resident for 5 years

You are eligible to apply for citizenship if you have been a permanent resident for 5 years or more, regardless of your marriage situation.

In part 1 of the the N-400 form, you will select option A: "Have been a lawful permanent resident of the United States for at least 5 years".

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.