Lisbeth

Is now a confusing time to active the GC?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Good Morning.

I am quite confused as I need to travel to USA to active the green card before 27 of March.

There is a huge confusion now at USA airports. People who are not even from the banned countries have been

detained and asked to sign the form I-407. There are so many rumors and apparently not even the immigration

agents are fully aware about which procedure to follow (according to CNN).

Shall I wait until the situation is calmed down? Shall I go earlier to prevent that at some point, Trump includes more countries to the list and

stop me to activate the green card?

I am so confused now. Honestly I would not like to loose the opportunity as Luckily the presidency period is only 4 years, but the green card is

for a lifetime.

Your recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Regards.

Lisbeth

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I see you are coming from Venezuela, which is no where near the banned countries. I would not anticipate you should have a problem, you should complete your travel as planned.

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

It's too soon to tell if you would have problems. But I agree  you should continue with your travel plans to so you may renew your green card. And make sure you DON'T sign I-407.

-Con Dios todo es posible.

Timeline

Ok. Once I enter to USA would you recommend me to stay? Or I could go back within one year after finalising everything pending and get ready to relocate? Now I have the feeling that I need to hurry up!

You're not from an affected country, and you shouldn't have any issues - not sure about these rumors you've heard, if it has happened I doubt it's related to the executive order.

in fact I'd suggest you activate as soon as you can, because if the president decides to arbitrarily choose some other countries, you'll have more protection as a green card holder than just someone with a visa, even an immigrant visa - this is what we've just seen play out.

Timeline

Thanks Susie. That's my feeling as well. In fact I've been checking the new very closely and not only GC holders but also citizen have been detained at the airport and the situation is very very delicate.

Regarding the rumors (thousands of them) such as the immigrant agents asking to the people to sign the form I-407 comes from relatives / friends from Venezuela who have been traveling to/from USA. But it is true that no Official mass media has reported as reliable information.

If I become green card holder and I leave the country there is no warranty that they will allow me to enter again base on the facts we have been reading on the news. That is why I am considering to enter as soon as I can and may be stay??

Now I am feeling a little bit nervous honestly.

Thanks for your help.

Lis

The amdinistration themselves have confirmed that green card holders are ok, though those from the affected countries may have to undergo secondary inspection. Once you have entered you are a green card holder. Under the circumstances I'd be especially sure to prove ties to the US. Staying is the easiest way to do that but I don't know all your circumstances about what you have to wrap up back home, so you need to figure that out, if you go back for a relatively short time you shouldn't have any issues.

And again, your friends and others might have had problems but these are not necessarily due to the executive order seeing as they are not from the affected countries.  (I'm not sure where you have time to listen to or read 'thousands of rumors' but that's another matter.) It is possible that CBP officials are becoming more strict on enforcing existing residency requirements but this doesn't have to be related to the EO (and in fact many of us would argue it's something long overdue and have long warned people trying to keep GCs by e.g. visiting every 6 months are heading for trouble).

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.