qingshuiyiju

Recent J1 waiver timeline 2017

277 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

But you have to be careful because usually USPS does not delivery letters if someone's name is not on the mailbox. That has happened to me several times. 

My name has never been on the mailbox and I've never had that happen.. 

But just in case that is what the section "in care of" will come into play ^_^ We dont want that letter to be sent back AGAIN!!!

Live, love, laugh.. and try not to think too much about USCIS

37 minutes ago, logisticamente said:

My name has never been on the mailbox and I've never had that happen.. 

But just in case that is what the section "in care of" will come into play ^_^ We dont want that letter to be sent back AGAIN!!!

Yeah, is that I was thinking that maybe the reason why the letter was sent back was because her name was not on the mailbox.

7 hours ago, Coco8 said:

But you have to be careful because usually USPS does not delivery letters if someone's name is not on the mailbox. That has happened to me several times. 

That's what I heard as well. What should I do if I want to have it delivered to my attorney to his office? I don't even live in the US anymore,  so I doubt my name is on the mailbox in my apartment address. 

35 minutes ago, jz4112 said:

That's what I heard as well. What should I do if I want to have it delivered to my attorney to his office? I don't even live in the US anymore,  so I doubt my name is on the mailbox in my apartment address. 

Ohhhh okay.. I just saw your comments about the in care of. Yeah I did make a request on 10/29 with my attorneys address and his name as the person in care of my mail. I never heard anything from USCIS as of now. I'll call USCIS again tomorrow to ask about my service request.. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I have seen image posted by "Poopahpoopah". It seems that DoS asked funding source memo from him after 2 months receiving his No Objection statement. I am wondering asking funding source memo is routine request or not? I also saw another case, again DoS was asking Funding Source Memo.

My No Objection statement was received by DoS on November 27, 2017 and I am wondering if they may give the favorable recommendation right away or not? What would be the current timeline?

I will be happy to hear if you have opinion/experience about it.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

iron man

46 minutes ago, iron said:

I am wondering asking funding source memo is routine request or not?

No, it is not routine. It seems they sometimes ask that for people doing postdocs, so J1-Scholar. They do that to figure out of the position was being paid by US funds.

40 minutes ago, iron said:

Is sending email to expedite case possible or not? Is there fee involved for this?

No. It is not possible. You can sometimes request this if they have take over the number of weeks they say (> 9 weeks) AND you have an extreme circumstance. However, most likely, they will not even pay attention to the request.

Edited by Coco8

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all,
I have found your discussion very helpful. I applied for J-1 waiver under the "No objection" category. Here is my timeline with the State Department:

Department of State Advisory Opinion Finding: Favorable Recommendation

Item Action Date
Recommendation Sent December, 28 2017
No Objection Statement Received December, 15 2017
Fee Received November, 09 2017
Form DS-3035 Received November, 09 2017
Form DS-2019 Received November, 09 2017
Passport Data Page Received November, 09 2017
Statement Of Reason Received November, 09 2017

Now my case number with the USCIS says that they received the State Department's Favorable Recommendation on January 3rd, 2018, which has been more than 10 weeks since.
 I have a few questions:

1. How can I expedite the process from USCIS, who can I call?
2. I have to apply for an OPT and start work on July 1st, 2018, if the USCIS process is delayed will this impact my OPT application?

Thank you.

2 hours ago, aioli said:

Hello all,
I have found your discussion very helpful. I applied for J-1 waiver under the "No objection" category. Here is my timeline with the State Department:

Department of State Advisory Opinion Finding: Favorable Recommendation

Item Action Date
Recommendation Sent December, 28 2017
No Objection Statement Received December, 15 2017
Fee Received November, 09 2017
Form DS-3035 Received November, 09 2017
Form DS-2019 Received November, 09 2017
Passport Data Page Received November, 09 2017
Statement Of Reason Received November, 09 2017

Now my case number with the USCIS says that they received the State Department's Favorable Recommendation on January 3rd, 2018, which has been more than 10 weeks since.
 I have a few questions:

1. How can I expedite the process from USCIS, who can I call?
2. I have to apply for an OPT and start work on July 1st, 2018, if the USCIS process is delayed will this impact my OPT application?

Thank you.

1. You need to contact USCIS because maybe they misplaced your case or they never got the letter from DOS (it has happened to other people).

2. If you have an F1, the OPT for the F1 is not conditioned on the J1 waiver. Apply for the OPT when needed.

Hello guys, just sharing my J1 Waiver journey! It was a No objection waiver. I haven’t seen any timeline from a Jamaican citizen so that led me to upload my journey. I must say the getting the No objection letter  from Jamaica was the longest wait. When I read on the Consulate Generalm of Jamaica website it said this NOS can take anywhere from 90-120 days to prepare... longest wait of my life! after receiving the NOS from my Home country, I was sent an email stating that it was granted and passed on to DOS who took another two weeks to upload it to their site! I have attached a screenshot of the journey. I am now awiating a letter from DOS of the favorable recommendation. Im not sure if one was sent in the mail, so I emailed them asking for a copy. So, all in all, because of my home country , this journey, although not complete, took me all of SIX months, but 8 weeks from DOS. 

What comes next in the process if anyone knows? Please help. 

Thanks

4BCC485C-C1DF-43A9-957F-C24A40DA6CB1.jpeg

Edited by Sidzz

1 hour ago, Sidzz said:

What comes next in the process if anyone knows? Please help. 

You will get a letter from USCIS saying that they got the letter from DOS. You will get a number and with that you can check online.

A few weeks later (it could be a soon or 2 months) you will get the official waiver from USCIS (it is a letter on green paper). 

Edited by Coco8

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.