tanyakaraman

F1 Visa Interview in Istanbul - can sponsor attend?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Thanks to anyone who can answer a quick question about the F1 interview in Istanbul. 

My husband's nephew has been turned down several times for his F1 student visa. His family has plenty of money, which we have demonstrated, and he has a house in his name in Turkey. He has been accepted at the college in the US. We are sponsoring him and he is going to stay with us while he is here.  There should be no problem, but he keeps getting turned down at his interview, each time for a different minor reason. He's a little shy and nervous and his English isn't great. My husband would like to attend the next interview with him at the embassy in Istanbul to ensure everything goes smoothly next time. Does anyone know if this is possible? My husband doesn't want to fly all the way to Turkey if he won't be allowed into the interview. 

Thanks!

Tanya Karaman

ROC Journey:

01/19/2010 - Mailed ROC paperwork to Vermont Service Center

01/21/2010 - ROC package arrived at VSC

01/26/2010 - Check cashed

01/28/2010 - Received NOA, GC extended for 1 year

02/25/2010 - Biometrics taken

04/23/2010 - Conditions lifted! :)

05/01/2010 - Ten-year GC received...on hubby's birthday! Yay!

MeandOzzy.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Typically if someone is allowed inside the embassy in relation to a visa interview, it is the USC petitioner

As in the case of an F1 visa, there is no USC petitioner

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Timeline

Thank you. 

ROC Journey:

01/19/2010 - Mailed ROC paperwork to Vermont Service Center

01/21/2010 - ROC package arrived at VSC

01/26/2010 - Check cashed

01/28/2010 - Received NOA, GC extended for 1 year

02/25/2010 - Biometrics taken

04/23/2010 - Conditions lifted! :)

05/01/2010 - Ten-year GC received...on hubby's birthday! Yay!

MeandOzzy.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why the desperation?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 hours ago, tanyakaraman said:

My husband's nephew has been turned down several times for his F1 student visa. His family has plenty of money, which we have demonstrated, and he has a house in his name in Turkey. He has been accepted at the college in the US. We are sponsoring him and he is going to stay with us while he is here.  There should be no problem, but he keeps getting turned down at his interview, each time for a different minor reason. He's a little shy and nervous and his English isn't great. My husband would like to attend the next interview with him at the embassy in Istanbul to ensure everything goes smoothly next time. Does anyone know if this is possible? My husband doesn't want to fly all the way to Turkey if he won't be allowed into the interview. 

How could he expect to follow along classes in english if unable to have a short conversation flow with a CO?  

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

I would suggest applying for an English language program first, maybe the CO didn't think they had the appropriate level of language fluency to follow college courses. Chatting with people is very different than writing academic papers and following lectures... If they denied the application, they must have a valid reason.

N-400 Application for Naturalization

Day    00 - 08/31/20 - Submitted online N-400 application. ROC still pending. Requested combo interview.

Day    01 - 09/01/20 - NOA received online. Status says biometrics appt letter will be sent. (PD 08/31/20)

Day  141 - 01/20/21 - Biometrics reuse letter

Day  233 - 04/22/21 - ROC approved, no news on N-400

Day  288 - 06/18/21 - Interview scheduled

Day  332 - 07/30/21 - Successful interview. No decision yet.

Day 758  - 09/28/22 - Oath ceremony will be scheduled

Day 870 - 01/18/23 - Oath ceremony complete

• 2 months later...
Timeline
On 1/28/2017 at 0:33 PM, bunkx said:

I would suggest applying for an English language program first, maybe the CO didn't think they had the appropriate level of language fluency to follow college courses. Chatting with people is very different than writing academic papers and following lectures... If they denied the application, they must have a valid reason.

i wish they would tell people why they deny them and if its something that can be remedied, they can work on it or if not they can just cut their hopes and plan things where they reside.

as for the nephew, depending on the type of school he got accepted here, his english might be a problem. IF he had applied for English classes, (there are some 'schools' that offer classes that are focused only on teaching English)  his lack of english really should not have been a problem since his goal is to learn it by attending classes here. but if he applied to a regular school for a degree or something, yes his english might be the factor effecting his visa. 

also, i know for tourist visas they usually don't like it when the tourist has family, especially very close family, cause in the eyes of the CO, that gives the tourist a reason to stay in america, where as if s/he didn't have family they would be lesss inclined to stay do to lack of financial support they can get for or by themselves, especially for certain age groups i think. I don't know if this is the case F1 though. Maybe the fact that your husband is sponsoring him is the issue? instead had he applied all by himself and his own family's financial means and to maybe a boarding school or said he would find like an student exchange type family to give him shelter while his studies, that might have worked out better? I mean my cousin came here on F1 couple years back, and she too got it after several trials so i don't know what she updated or changed each time and what she told them in regards to where she would be staying but I believe she stayed with her uncle all the time she went to school.  

Filed: Timeline
On 4/20/2017 at 11:40 AM, sarah86 said:

i wish they would tell people why they deny them and if its something that can be remedied, they can work on it or if not they can just cut their hopes and plan things where they reside

. . 

They do, actually, tell people why they are denied, but many times the applicant doesn't understand or agree with the reason -- especially the application of 214b on the INA -- so they will say that they were not given a reason for the denial.  

I suspect the reason in this case is a simple one -- the visa officers did not see strong enough ties (i.e., reasons to leave the US at the end of studies) to overcome the presumption of intending immigration built into US immigration law.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.