KurosawaSan

J1 Waiver - Sponsor Views

38 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My sponsor views were requested on October 30th, and until today, I still see two options in the online system:

Sponsor Views - Requested

Request for Sponsor Views - Sent

Both marked with the date above. I've contacted DOS 3 times now and they say they will request the views again, but seems like nothing comes out of it. Is there a way to reliably determine the sponsor contact information, so that I can reach out to them and maybe ask to send the views? 

Or is there a better way around the problem?

PS: This thread is related to this thread.

Edited by KurosawaSan

• 1 month later...

Hello, i think we are on sane boat. I have requested to waive my j1 visa waiver on december, after long wait, my sponsor views has been received march 06, I didn't have any decision yet. I am a former Fulbright scholar and dos funded. But i think i have completed 21 months of my requirement, physically. I was visiting to usa back and forth on tourist visa, that days aren't count towards to 2year hrr. And i am guessing rest of months are still subject :unsure: so I requested advisory opinion. The response received i am a subject.  :o

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Yeah this is definitely the fun part - waiting for the results. My sponsor views are still pending since October. @BLR when did they request your sponsor views?

For Fulbright (and really, any govt-funded program) I would expect that the Advisory Opinion would come back positive - that was one of the reasons I didn't bother applying for it and instead chose to go straight for the waiver.

Edited by KurosawaSan

• 2 weeks later...

That is great news @KurosawaSan - Good luck!

I hope my sponsor views don't take 5 months! But I found someone else on this board (who posted like 2 years ago) and her/his sponsor views also took like 5 months. That is unacceptable. I feel that they should have a system in place.

I already submitted everything. My No objection letter should be ready soon. And then DOS will request sponsor views and I'll have to wait.

Edited by Coco8

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2017 at 6:32 PM, BLR said:

Hello, i think we are on sane boat. I have requested to waive my j1 visa waiver on december, after long wait, my sponsor views has been received march 06, I didn't have any decision yet. I am a former Fulbright scholar and dos funded. But i think i have completed 21 months of my requirement, physically. I was visiting to usa back and forth on tourist visa, that days aren't count towards to 2year hrr. And i am guessing rest of months are still subject :unsure: so I requested advisory opinion. The response received i am a subject.  :o

Hi: Did you find out what the "sponsor views" were? If so, could you share your complete timeline?

Edited by Coco8

4 hours ago, Coco8 said:

Hi: Did you find out what the "sponsor views" were? If so, could you share your complete timeline?

Hi Coco8,

i got the favorable recommendation on 29th march. I don't know what is in the sponsor views, but its response took a month and received on 6th of march. The recommendation decision took 23 days, that is longer than i expected. Finally i got decision and hard copy arrived on 4th of April. I still have no response or anything from uscis. Regardless of that, my route is no objection, so i proceeded with my aos.

IMG_0167.PNG

Edited by BLR

1 hour ago, BLR said:

Hi Coco8,

i got the favorable recommendation on 29th march. I don't know what is in the sponsor views, but its response took a month and received on 6th of march. The recommendation decision took 23 days, that is longer than i expected. Finally i got decision and hard copy arrived on 4th of April. I still have no response or anything from uscis. Regardless of that, my route is no objection, so i proceeded with my aos.

IMG_0167.PNG

Cool. Yours is the fastest timeline I've seen (for a case requiring sponsor views). I know it probably felt like a lot to you!  They actually asked for the sponsor views pretty fast. I've seen that often it takes them like 2 months just to request the opinion! 

I am at the stage that they just got the "no objection statement" so now they have to ask for the sponsor views. I hope it takes a short amount of time, like yours. I'm not Fulbright.

You got really lucky with Fulbright. I have a lot of friends that had to go back home after their PhD even though they had no job prospects there but they had offers here. Pretty sad. They probably gave you the waiver because you had almost completed the 2 years.

Edited by Coco8

1 hour ago, Coco8 said:

Cool. Yours is the fastest timeline I've seen (for a case requiring sponsor views). I know it probably felt like a lot to you!  They actually asked for the sponsor views pretty fast. I've seen that often it takes them like 2 months just to request the opinion! 

I am at the stage that they just got the "no objection statement" so now they have to ask for the sponsor views. I hope it takes a short amount of time, like yours. I'm not Fulbright.

You got really lucky with Fulbright. I have a lot of friends that had to go back home after their PhD even though they had no job prospects there but they had offers here. Pretty sad. They probably gave you the waiver because you had almost completed the 2 years.

But for Fulbrighters, it is hard to get the no objection waiver. For my case, I have completed 21 months and several days physically spent in my country. Technically, 2 years was done already. Only my tourist visa days in USA, probably aren't count towards my requirement. I have visited to USCIS, infopass officer told me that I have completed my requirement. Just in case, I am making sure for everything. After my sponsor views are received, DOS sent me several additional documents to submit ( not recorded in the status check). I have submitted my each exit/entry stamps, issued visas, highlighting the issued place, paystubs, electric and water bills, my tax records etc.  

1 hour ago, Jack1994 said:

I'm about to start this process - under what circumstances do they ask for sponsor views, and do I have to inform my sponsor that I'm applying for a J1 waiver?

Thanks.

They ask for sponsor views if your J1 has "government funding". You can check that on your DS2019. Sometimes they ask for "funding source memo" if you are in a postdoc, mostly to figure out if your postdoc was funded by a government grant like NIH or NSF (they don't always do that). 

DOS does everything once all your documents are on the system. So you don't have to request anything from the sponsor, they do it after the get your documents and the no objection letter from your embassy.

Someone on one of these boards told me that you sometimes know who the "sponsor" is and you can e-mail them to make sure they got the request and they answer the request. 

Edited by Coco8

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

My sponsor is a private organization that receives a small amount of funding from my home government - definitely not funding from the U.S. Government - and I personally don't receive funding from anywhere. Will they still be asked / informed I'm applying for a waiver - and could they cancel my visa if i apply for the waiver? 

Thanks for being so helpful.

7 minutes ago, Jack1994 said:

My sponsor is a private organization that receives a small amount of funding from my home government - definitely not funding from the U.S. Government - and I personally don't receive funding from anywhere. Will they still be asked / informed I'm applying for a waiver - and could they cancel my visa if i apply for the waiver? 

Thanks for being so helpful.

When you ask for the "no objection letter" from your embassy, they might contact the private organization and ask for their opinion before submitting it to the Department of State. You could call the private organization before going through the process to ask them about it. To me, it seems that your case should be easy as long as they give you the letter from your embassy, which usually is not a problem. 

I'm assuming you are from Ireland, so when I say the "no objection letter", this is what I mean:

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-consulate/sanfrancisco/our-services/visas/statement-of-no-objection/

The barcode (number 1) is given to you after you fill in the paperwork on the Department of State website. You will have to finish all the paperwork with the Department of State before you request the no objection letter from your embassy. Here,  https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/study-exchange/student/residency-waiver.html

The Department of State only asks for "sponsor views" when the "sponsor" is part of the US government (State Department, NSF, NIH, etc.). 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.