Pig

Lost wedding pics

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

My husband and I got married several years ago with a small court wedding. He had the hard copy pictures with him in ghana (we didn't have them digitally). He moved and all his pictures went missing. Our I-130 should be approved shortly, but do you think we should include an explanation at the NVC stage as to why we don't have pics from our wedding, or just wait to see if they ask at the interview and explain it then?  We have lots of other pictures and evidence, and we will be having a big wedding reception this year and will bring those pics to the interview of course. Thanks for any advice you can give! 

Edited by Akua and Papa

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
2 hours ago, Akua and Papa said:

My husband and I got married several years ago with a small court wedding. He had the hard copy pictures with him in ghana (we didn't have them digitally). He moved and all his pictures went missing. Our I-130 should be approved shortly, but do you think we should include an explanation at the NVC stage as to why we don't have pics from our wedding, or just wait to see if they ask at the interview and explain it then?  We have lots of other pictures and evidence, and we will be having a big wedding reception this year and will bring those pics to the interview of course. Thanks for any advice you can give! 

Hey Akua and Papa --

My advice would be to not worry about the photos. They are not required by USCIS, but they do provide strong evidence that you are a couple and have real shared history. I would prep photos for the interview (or in case you get an RFE) -- include shots before you married, after you married, trips, etc. and especially include photos with family and friends. 

Personally I think it would be weird to send NVC photos - the AOS and IV packages are concerned with the sponsor's ability to support the beneficiary and to gather additional information about the immigrant (police records, etc.) Sending photos to prove the validity of your relationship when that was already established (and accepted by) USCIS is overkill to me. 

If you are still concerned try checking with other folks who have gone through the process in Ghana to see what their experiences were. Good luck! :)

7-26-2016: Married in Washington, DC! 

USCIS Stage

9-15-2016: I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

9-17-2016: USPS delivery confirmation to Chicago lockbox

9-21-2016: NOA1 Email and text received. Case sent to Texas Service Center, priority date 9-19-2016

10-13-2016: NOA2 approval  (10-17-2016: NOA2 Hardcopy received)

10-27-2016: Case sent to NVC

NVC Stage

11-03-2016: Case received by NVC

11-14-2016: NVC case number assigned

11-16-2016: Welcome email received, DS-261 completed online

11-17-2016: AOS bill paid

11-18-2016: DS-261 reviewed over the phone

11-20-2016: IV Fee Invoiced, IV Fee Paid

12-26-2016: Completed DS-260

01-18-2017: Sent AOS and IV package (via electronic processing)

01-27-2017: Checklist received, documents sent back to NVC (via electronic processing)

02-03-2017: Case Complete 

03-08-2017: Interview and APPROVED!

04-21-2017: POE Philadelphia 

Timeline

Pictures are very important at any point in this immigration process, whether uscis, nvc or at the interview stage. The CO asked a specific question after glancing through an album I presented at the interview

Timeline

I think what Akua and papa can do is to contact friends or family members who were there at the time of their marriage if they have some pictures of their marriage and use to support their case than wait for rfe

Timeline
4 hours ago, misshepburn said:

Hey Akua and Papa --

My advice would be to not worry about the photos. They are not required by USCIS, but they do provide strong evidence that you are a couple and have real shared history. I would prep photos for the interview (or in case you get an RFE) -- include shots before you married, after you married, trips, etc. and especially include photos with family and friends. 

Personally I think it would be weird to send NVC photos - the AOS and IV packages are concerned with the sponsor's ability to support the beneficiary and to gather additional information about the immigrant (police records, etc.) Sending photos to prove the validity of your relationship when that was already established (and accepted by) USCIS is overkill to me. 

If you are still concerned try checking with other folks who have gone through the process in Ghana to see what their experiences were. Good luck! :)

Thank you, we have lots of photos before and after the wedding- trips, with family/friends, neighbors, etc. I've read here it's highly recommended  to add more evidence at NVC stage for ghana. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Myprincess said:

I think what Akua and papa can do is to contact friends or family members who were there at the time of their marriage if they have some pictures of their marriage and use to support their case than wait for rfe

Thank you. There are no photos, just hard copies that got lost. That's why I'm trying to think if there's something else we can do to make up for it. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

You will need photo's. The Ghana embassy is a tough one and you need every evidence you can get.

Even at the Netherlands embassy,which is a complete low fraud country. (Note the speed we had and less requirements) they wanted all kinds of pictures. They want more then staged one's as well. Not just wedding or staged family meetings.

Met 6/21/15 Online

Married since February 29th 2016 In the Netherlands (Where she is from)

6/12/16 - Preparing to send packet to USCIS

6/27/16 - Sent Package to Chicago lock-box via UPS

7/5/16 - NOA1 Text/Email / sent to Potomac (Hardcopy 7/10/16)

8/3/16 - NOA 2 I-130 Approved! Case sent to NVC! (Hardcopy 8/6/16)

8/19/16 to 9/4/16 - Visited wife for two weeks in NL. =}

9/1/16 - NVC Case and invoice # received. (Email) Finished DS260 and Paid AOS Fee.

9/8/16 - IV Fee Paid!

9/16/16 - DS260 Finished!

9/27/16 - Sent Documents to NVC.

11/21/16 - Called NVC. Case reviewed and accepted on 11/18. Waiting for email/mail.

11/28/16 - Got Email stating we are now waiting for an interview spot!

12/11/16 - Got the interview date! 1/12/17!

1/12/17 - ...ACCEPTED SHE IS NOW WAITING FOR HER PASSPORT IN THE MAIL! =]

1/18/17 - Passport and visa in her hands! We now wait till 2/24 for her to fly to me! (Has to finish work contract)

2/24/17 - She is now here with me! POE was simple,she only took 10 minutes with them checking her visa! "Welcome to America,missus"

3/15/17 - SSN Card Received.

4/10/17 - Greencard Received.

Preparing I-751 (ROC)

11/26/18 - I-751 Prepared and mailed out.

11/27/18 - UPS Confirmed Delivery at 10:30AM

12/3/18 - Checks cashed and got Email/Text With Receipt #

01/3/19 - Extension letter received.

Timeline
24 minutes ago, MrChamploo said:

You will need photo's. The Ghana embassy is a tough one and you need every evidence you can get.

Even at the Netherlands embassy,which is a complete low fraud country. (Note the speed we had and less requirements) they wanted all kinds of pictures. They want more then staged one's as well. Not just wedding or staged family meetings.

I have lots of pictures, just not the wedding ones.  There's nothing I can do about getting those back.  My question is should I send an explanation during NVC or has anyone had this issue and how did you deal with it? Thank you! 

1 minute ago, Akua and Papa said:

I have lots of pictures, just not the wedding ones.  There's nothing I can do about getting those back.  My question is should I send an explanation during NVC or has anyone had this issue and how did you deal with it? Thank you! 

You can try sending an explanation but they don't really take your word for anything. You really need to dig for some wedding pictures from friends and family. Not having wedding photos i think will come back and bite you in the butt.

Met 6/21/15 Online

Married since February 29th 2016 In the Netherlands (Where she is from)

6/12/16 - Preparing to send packet to USCIS

6/27/16 - Sent Package to Chicago lock-box via UPS

7/5/16 - NOA1 Text/Email / sent to Potomac (Hardcopy 7/10/16)

8/3/16 - NOA 2 I-130 Approved! Case sent to NVC! (Hardcopy 8/6/16)

8/19/16 to 9/4/16 - Visited wife for two weeks in NL. =}

9/1/16 - NVC Case and invoice # received. (Email) Finished DS260 and Paid AOS Fee.

9/8/16 - IV Fee Paid!

9/16/16 - DS260 Finished!

9/27/16 - Sent Documents to NVC.

11/21/16 - Called NVC. Case reviewed and accepted on 11/18. Waiting for email/mail.

11/28/16 - Got Email stating we are now waiting for an interview spot!

12/11/16 - Got the interview date! 1/12/17!

1/12/17 - ...ACCEPTED SHE IS NOW WAITING FOR HER PASSPORT IN THE MAIL! =]

1/18/17 - Passport and visa in her hands! We now wait till 2/24 for her to fly to me! (Has to finish work contract)

2/24/17 - She is now here with me! POE was simple,she only took 10 minutes with them checking her visa! "Welcome to America,missus"

3/15/17 - SSN Card Received.

4/10/17 - Greencard Received.

Preparing I-751 (ROC)

11/26/18 - I-751 Prepared and mailed out.

11/27/18 - UPS Confirmed Delivery at 10:30AM

12/3/18 - Checks cashed and got Email/Text With Receipt #

01/3/19 - Extension letter received.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

you are working with the HARDEST embassay.. do you think they are going to believe an explanation of what happened?? NO! - dont draw more attention to your mistake

try to get more proof.. spend more time together to overcome this mishap.  yes, it is going to be a huge point against you.  getting married and no pictures, how can you prove what happened and who was there? you are from a very very high fraud country so therefore you need to plan accordingly... 

i always suggest you go and read the ghana board and see what others from ghana did to successfully get a cr1. what someone did from canada, the uk, australia, fillipines to get a cr1 is NOT going to help your case!!!!

my interview was 5 mintues and the IO asked one question.. your interview is NOT going to be that way.  so if you were from canada i would say, pictures don't matter; your case is a whole other ballgame. 

Edited by caliliving

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

moving forward take lots of photos.. not just of you and him, but of you and your friends/family all together.. make sure he has met and knows who everyone is in each photo.  it is more important to have people in the photos with you then just you and him! anyone can get pictures with a guy and say its there husband and go on a few trips, but friends and family its much harder to 'fake' 

if you go there for a holiday, spend it with friends and family and take LOTS OF PICTURES! 

when u say a small court wedding, was anyone else there? if so, find photos from someone else. how did they go missing? photos are saved on a phone and backed up to icloud/google... also if you have a photographer (or chapel photographer) find out who it was!  it is very hard to hear that pictures just vanished in this day and age.

Timeline
7 hours ago, caliliving said:

moving forward take lots of photos.. not just of you and him, but of you and your friends/family all together.. make sure he has met and knows who everyone is in each photo.  it is more important to have people in the photos with you then just you and him! anyone can get pictures with a guy and say its there husband and go on a few trips, but friends and family its much harder to 'fake' 

if you go there for a holiday, spend it with friends and family and take LOTS OF PICTURES! 

when u say a small court wedding, was anyone else there? if so, find photos from someone else. how did they go missing? photos are saved on a phone and backed up to icloud/google... also if you have a photographer (or chapel photographer) find out who it was!  it is very hard to hear that pictures just vanished in this day and age.

Thanks...as stated before we have lots of pics with family and friends and trips we took. We got married 7 years ago, before everyone had smart phones. Back then we took pictures with a digital camera. However we had a photographer who took pictures and printed them out for us at the wedding.  It's been so long there's no way to get copies from the photographer. 

So its better just to wait until the interview to explain this? 

Timeline

If it is lost then there's nothing you can do about it.

You can write the letter or you can ignore it until it comes up.

My parents never had wedding pictures (they married in the 80's tho) but my family is all here. Focus more on the other evidence you have not what you don't have. But go over your explanation for how those pictures all got lost.

What you said here might be good but you need to give a concise explanation that doesn't give room to speculation.

Good luck to you!

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.