Nikolo

K1 Fiance Visa in Montreal Canada timeline? Getting worried about the interview

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone, first time poster here!

Hopefully I'm at the right place to ask this, otherwise please direct me otherwise. I've been reading a lot on this forum and everyone seems very helpful so I thought to give this a shot.

A little background of where we are at now:

Me: Canadian living in Montreal

Fiancee: Californian

Been dating for 8 years long distance, met about 20 times, over 350 days of being together physically on trips, met her family, she met mine, our I-129F binder was about the size of the Bible due to our long story.

There's no doubt we are a solid couple with a million proof to show.

We are ready to get married, we have a big wedding planned in Las Vegas

We got engaged in March 2016

We started our K1 preparation in June 2016 while she was here in Montreal

We are currently waiting for our interview at the Montreal Embassy (luckily I live in Montreal) and I'm starting to panic a bit about the time delays and how they keep us in the dark.

So a few dates:

Initial I-129F request sent: 23 Sept 2016

I-797C Notice of Action received: 28 Sept 2016

I-797 Approval: 14 Nov 2016

NVC forwarded to Montreal US Embassy: 9 Dec 2016

Packet 3 Received: 22 Dec 2016

DS-160 done and Packet 3 Sent by email on: 6 Jan 2016

In my email I sent 

1) DS160 Confirmation receipt page
2) Packet 3 Checklist checked, dated and signed
3) Color-scanned copy of the biographic data page of my passport

At that point I received an automated message that went along like this:

Thank you for your message to the
Immigrant Visa (IV) unit

Please note: the review process for mail received is eight weeks. Please do not contact us for an update of your file before eight weeks.

Now if I believe this email, they would read my email in 8 weeks?? And then schedule me for an interview, which will bring us in the middle of the month of March if not further.

On the other hand, I've been reading up on my compatriotes here in Canada that are in the same boat on VisaJourney's statistics and I see numbers more like:

Package 3 sent: 2017-01-06

Package 4 received: 2017-01-12

Package 3 sent: 2016-12-28

Package 4 received: 2016-12-30

Package 3 sent: 2016-12-20

Package 4 received: 2016-12-21

So based on these figures, they seem to receive a quick response in a day or two. At worst, the one that sent it on the same day as me received a response already on January 12th!

You can see what I'm talking about here:

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/k1list.php?cfl=0&op1=3&op2=&op3=1&op4=1&op5=5,6,8,10,11,13,14,15,16,17,18,20,21,22,25,26,27,28,108,110,111,208,210,211&op6=All&op66=All&op7=Canada&dfile=No&adv=1

Here's my question:

We are currently January 19th, it has been 16 days since I have not received anything from them either by mail or email. No info regarding Packet 4, no medical appointment, no interview date or anything.

The reason why I'm starting to panic is that we have a big wedding in Las Vegas on March 19th 2017 with 75 guests including people that are taking planes, etc...

Obviously I'm getting very anxious to get my visa, otherwise I need to cancel that wedding venue and hope to God that I can switch the date on them and people can cancel their plane tickets, hotel reservations, etc... :(

I feel alone in this, completely in the dark and I'm seeking re-assurance, help, anything at this point to enlighten me.

Based on experience who should I believe: The US Embassy with their 8 weeks estimate? Or people are actually getting their interview in a timely manner in Montreal? I know that they are swamped since they are now the only bureau processing K1 visas in Canada but I'd like to know what's going on.

Is there anybody here that could answer if I have reasons to panic?

When do you think I'll hear from them?

If I should cancel my wedding plans for March 19 as they are unrealistic?

What have been your experience with K1 applications?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide and sorry for the long email, I wanted to be thorough!

-Nikolo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to the Canada forum, from K1 P&P - As the OP's question about Montreal~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Did your CEAC status say ready when you sent your p3?  Send it again, sometimes you need to do that.  As soon as you get p4 you book your own interview and then your medical. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thanks for replying NikLR!

Yes, to the best of my knowledge I did everything I needed to do.

I received the P3 letter (mail) from the US Consulate General in Montreal asking me to do the DS-160, which I've done and have my barcode confirmation.

But if I go on the website https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx I get this:

(I changed the case number to protect my anonymity)

U.S. Department of State
NONIMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION
No Status
Application ID or Case Number: AAXXXXXXXX
Case Creation Date: 06-Jan-2017

Please contact the U.S. Consular office you believe is responsible for processing your visa application.

For more information, please visit U.S. Consulate General Montreal.

I sent my DS160, my passport scan and the checklist back to their email address at "montreal-iv-dv@state.gov" as they requested.

But so far just an automated reply..

Should I contact them by email again?

Timeline

Well I decided to re-send them an email to their "customer service" at  montreal-niv@state.gov

I included my 3 documents again just in case. 

Another automatic response telling me they "might" reply in 2 days.

How did it work for you guys? You sent the DS160, the checklist and your passport and then what happened?
Did you received the P4 by email or by mail? 

Thanks again for your support!

-Niko

Timeline

Hey Niko!

We also received those emails saying to wait 8 weeks or whatever. We ended up getting P4 by email about a week and a half after sending P3. It was pretty much a test of our patience because our status only read as "ready" until we got P4 in my fiancé's (now husband's) email. We didn't know anything about where our case was haha.

Hope that helped! So excited for you guys. :)

Kristina

Timeline

Thank you so much for replying Kristina!

That reassures me a LOT knowing that this 8 week notice is kinda bogus. I know all cases are different but a week and a half is definitely better than 8 weeks! For me it's been 13 days so nearly 2 weeks.

I'm sorry but do you recall where you could check your status? I don't know if I'm "ready" or something else. On the website https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx I get: NO STATUS

That sounds worst than "READY" lol.. is this what your referring to?

I cannot set my interview until I receive my P4 right? I'd really like to get the ball moving so I can lock my chain to it (a little bit of wedding humor here.. ball-and-chain...)

Based on your picture I see stormtroopers, if you guys got married in a Star Wars setting, you rock!! My fiancée will be dressed in a princess Leia type wedding dress and our "wedding march" will be the throne room march at the end of Episode 4 :P

-Niko

Im surprised your case says no status. Have you tried calling the DOS? 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

It didn't occurred to me that it would be a problem to have a "NO STATUS" instead of "READY" since the online application worked otherwise and I got my confirmation barcode and everything, thank you for pointing that out NikLR.

I took a screenshot of it and sent it to  montreal-niv@state.gov  and to montreal-iv-dv@state.gov to make sure someone gets it.

I'm not sure what you mean by DOS (to me that's an acronym for an operating system, but I'm sure you mean something else). If you mean the embassy, the phone number at 514-398-9695 seems to be only for emergencies to US citizens. I don't think the Montreal embassy takes phonecalls for K1 questions.

Maybe that's why it's lagging my application but I really wished they had an easier way to contact them. This waiting game is aggravating..

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it!

-Niko

DOS = department of state. 

Also Montreal is a consulate not an embassy.  The only US embassy in Canada is in Ottawa.  

Really all you can do to contact Montreal is email (which is new within the last few years) and their online form through the US embassy website.  

Timeline
On 1/19/2017 at 1:38 PM, Nikolo said:

Thank you so much for replying Kristina!

That reassures me a LOT knowing that this 8 week notice is kinda bogus. I know all cases are different but a week and a half is definitely better than 8 weeks! For me it's been 13 days so nearly 2 weeks.

I'm sorry but do you recall where you could check your status? I don't know if I'm "ready" or something else. On the website https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx I get: NO STATUS

That sounds worst than "READY" lol.. is this what your referring to?

I cannot set my interview until I receive my P4 right? I'd really like to get the ball moving so I can lock my chain to it (a little bit of wedding humor here.. ball-and-chain...)

Based on your picture I see stormtroopers, if you guys got married in a Star Wars setting, you rock!! My fiancée will be dressed in a princess Leia type wedding dress and our "wedding march" will be the throne room march at the end of Episode 4 :P

-Niko

Hey Niko!

Sorry to be so late with my response. NikLR is right. I would email the DOS about that. I'm not sure if Montreal could help you with that just yet.

Yes, you need to wait until you have P4 to sign up for an interview!

And we got married at an art gallery! The art gallery happened to have some Star Wars pieces in it! My husband loves SW so he and I wanted to take some pictures with that art piece. I love you and your fiancée's idea! That's so unique! 

I think you may be right to think you might not make your wedding :( hopefully you do! However, I received the same email as you after sending my Packet 3 (I sent it before I even received my packet 3). They responded with my Packet 4 two days later, so even if it says 8 weeks it likely will not take 8 weeks! You can resubmit the Packet 3, but your status on the CEAC website needs to say "Ready," the moment mine said ready I sent my packet 3. Once I received my Packet 4 I scheduled my medical and interview. I was lucky that I didn't wait for my Packet 3 because I received my packet 4 on November 4, immediately got on my computer and was able to get an interview December 21. There were two left that day, and had I not gotten one the next available interviews were the end of January. My interview was approved, administrative processing took a matter of hours the next day and it was mailed to me. I would have received it on December 24 had it not been the holidays. So even if you receive your Packet 4 this week, you'll probably end up with an interview the first or second week of March, and it usually takes 1-2 weeks to receive it in the mail. 

I hope everything works out okay for you!

K1 Visa Timline                                               AOS Timeline

2016/08/11: I-129F Package Sent                   2017/02/09: AOS/EAD/AP Package Sent

2016/08/17: NOA1 Received                          2017/02/23: NOA1 Received

2016/10/04: NOA2 Received                          2017/03/23: Biometrics Appointment

2016/10/21: NVC Received                            2017/04/06: Request to Expedite EAD

2016/10/24: Case # Assigned                        2017/04/12: Letter for Expedite Request Received 

2016/11/01: Consulate Received                    2017/04/13: Response to Letter Faxed

2016/11/01: Packet 3 Sent                           2017/04/19: EAD Expedite Approved - Card Being Produced

2016/11/04: Packet 4 Received                     2017/04/24: EAD/AP Card Mailed

2016/12/09: Medical                                     2017/04/26: EAD/AP Card Received

2016/12/21: Interview!! APPROVED               2017/09/08: AOS Approved - Card Being Produced

2016/12/23: Visa Issued                               2017/09/15: Conditional Greencard Received

2016/12/28: Visa Received

2016/12/31: POE as a K1!

2017/01/20: Wedding Day!!!

ROC Timeline:

2019/06/29: ROC Package Sent

2019/07/05: NOA1 Received

2019/10/25: Biometrics Appointment

• 6 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 1/19/2017 at 8:54 AM, Nikolo said:

Thanks for replying NikLR!

Yes, to the best of my knowledge I did everything I needed to do.

I received the P3 letter (mail) from the US Consulate General in Montreal asking me to do the DS-160, which I've done and have my barcode confirmation.

But if I go on the website https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx I get this:

(I changed the case number to protect my anonymity)

I sent my DS160, my passport scan and the checklist back to their email address at "montreal-iv-dv@state.gov" as they requested.

But so far just an automated reply..

Should I contact them by email again?

On 1/20/2017 at 3:14 PM, NikLR said:

Im surprised your case says no status. Have you tried calling the DOS? 

I know this is very old but incase anyone else id reading...    

the reason it said "no status" is because the OP was using the ds160# and not the case # (as per their screenshot) case # would have started with mtl under  imigrant..if you go to non imigrant it shows AA as the example and that is where people search for their AA # ..but they should go to immigrant on the tracker and put in their mtl #.

Im sure you guys figured that out already but i had a hard time once with the same mistake and got "no status" aswell..overthought it too.. so i hope this helps whomever reads this next.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.