ADCin2017

OPT overstay for 2 months

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone who is reading this.

So my story is this: I finished my MS Accounting degree in Dec 2015 and my EAD expires in Feb 2017. 

I am working in tax area and had 3 different jobs during my OPT and my last job is contract job that is gonna end in April 2017. I am working as replacement for person who is on maternity leave and she is planning to be back after April.

The issue is that my contract ends 2 months after my work permit ends. I planned to "figure out" something, but I messed up and time passed too fast so here I am with no back up plan and my boss seems to be really stressed about tax season when we will be extremely busy. I really want to help him out because tax season is a huge pain a neck. I work as assistant, so my help can save my boss a lot of time and money for alcohol (just kidding). So right now I am considering just to overstay for less than 180 days and peace out to home in April.

The question that concerns me is that rule of 180 days. I will overstay my OPT for 55-60 days and it seems to be OK-ish unless I catch attention of USCIS. I just dont really know the matter and don't wanna go to lawyer with this simple question. Can anyone just clarify if 60 days of overstay are not serious violation? 

Disclaimer: I am not gonna use your answers as a guide or base for decision for my future actions. This post is created for solely informative purpose.

Thank you and have a warm winter!

P>S>: a friend of mine says that visa violation records are shared between US and Australia. Sounds like legend, but is that true? If i am planning to apply for Australian visa in future, can my US student visa violation appear in Australian officials' records? Don't laugh pls. And thank you a big time

1 minute ago, ADCin2017 said:

Hello everyone who is reading this.

So my story is this: I finished my MS Accounting degree in Dec 2015 and my EAD expires in Feb 2017. 

I am working in tax area and had 3 different jobs during my OPT and my last job is contract job that is gonna end in April 2017. I am working as replacement for person who is on maternity leave and she is planning to be back after April.

The issue is that my contract ends 2 months after my work permit ends. I planned to "figure out" something, but I messed up and time passed too fast so here I am with no back up plan and my boss seems to be really stressed about tax season when we will be extremely busy. I really want to help him out because tax season is a huge pain a neck. I work as assistant, so my help can save my boss a lot of time and money for alcohol (just kidding). So right now I am considering just to overstay for less than 180 days and peace out to home in April.

The question that concerns me is that rule of 180 days. I will overstay my OPT for 55-60 days and it seems to be OK-ish unless I catch attention of USCIS. I just dont really know the matter and don't wanna go to lawyer with this simple question. Can anyone just clarify if 60 days of overstay are not serious violation? 

Disclaimer: I am not gonna use your answers as a guide or base for decision for my future actions. This post is created for solely informative purpose.

Thank you and have a warm winter!

P>S>: a friend of mine says that visa violation records are shared between US and Australia. Sounds like legend, but is that true? If i am planning to apply for Australian visa in future, can my US student visa violation appear in Australian officials' records? Don't laugh pls. And thank you a big time

Nobody is going to help you to commit fraud or violate the law by encouraging unauthorized work.  And yes, it's entirely possible that Australia receives some intelligence such as this.

2 minutes ago, ADCin2017 said:

Hmm, I think I was vague on my post. I just need to know how serious is this overstay I described. Maybe someone knows similar case. I don't need guidance for sure.

Thanks for answers by the way!

Again, nobody is going to guide you in that direction 

Unauthorized work is a serious violation of your status. If you read the back of your I-94 (or the electronic one), it clearly states that working without proper authorization is ground for deportation. In your case, you will be very clearly violating immigration and labor laws, and so will your employer by continuing your contract without proper authorization.

Edited by KurosawaSan

16 minutes ago, KurosawaSan said:

Unauthorized work is a serious violation of your status. If you read the back of your I-94 (or the electronic one), it clearly states that working without proper authorization is ground for deportation. In your case, you will be very clearly violating immigration and labor laws, and so will your employer by continuing your contract without proper authorization.

Thanks for answer!

Overstay is not permitted at all. Working without a valid work permit is illegal as well, and can get your employer in trouble if they get caught. Nobody here can answer your question to help you determine if you should break the law or not.

The OP has gotten correct answers, and this thread is now locked on the basis of VJ's Terms of Service.  Do not restart this thread or carry it elsewhere.

VJ Moderation

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.