Bayoubrit

A move to america ... my experience so far

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

:thumbs:

New Orleans is definately quite an experience when you get time to actually explore it.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

11 minutes ago, Bayoubrit said:

I thought i would share my journey and what it means to me personally. 

I am from the UK, my work took me around the world for long periods of time and at many points i was in the US working on projects. I fell in love with Boston, Chicago and New York but my passionate love is New Orleans. Being from Oxford everything there is old and steeped in history, I am proudly English and always will be but the passion the states has for flag and country is amazing. I met my now wife in Tulsa Oklahoma while i was there on work, it was a Disney movie of love at first sight. We lived together in the UK and then Abu Dhabi UAE before deciding after i got laid off from Oil and gas to move her home. I was going to return to the UK see out my final 4 months in the UK office while doing my CR-1 visa. I came here on a holiday before returning to the UK and my company told me i was not required to return... that was a change in the plan and once we found out about the change of status we started the ball rolling. While the paper work and processing was going on I explored New Orleans. 

Now i had never been here before, the first time was to visit my wife's family in 2015 and i fell in love with the city, people, food and culture here. I have spent time walking around the french quarter, the CBD and residential suburbs each step making me smile about my new home. 

Sure things are different here, i cant find a egg and bacon bap with a cup of tea. Bacon is different from home, marmite is impossible to find and try explain what blood pudding is to people who have no clue. Although for each one of those things i miss, i find something new to try, expand my tastes and horizons. I never had a shrimp Po Boy, ate craw fish or mud bugs as they are known here but the main thing for me and my own is .... New Orleans feels like home. I sound different than everyone else, sometimes the English language gets strange here and the English sense of humor lost in translation but New Orleans is my Home.

Would i wait as long as i did to get my green card again, you bet i would because at this point looking across at my wife in our home city makes all the stress, money and time spent all worth it....

Glad to hear your story! All the best to you and your wife.

Lovely story! Thanks for sharing. It's clear your positive attitude is going a long way to help you settle in a strange place :)

There are various places to get British stuff like marmite - bigger supermarkets may have "international aisles". If World Market is in NO they always have it in stock, if no local store  you can shop online - worldmarket.com - too so worth a look to stock up on that and various other British goodies too (aeros, birds custard powder, hobnobs....) :) There are various "British stores" dotted around the country too and a few of them also do online, but World Market will probably be cheapest.

Edited by SusieQQQ

7 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Lovely story! Thanks for sharing. It's clear your positive attitude is going a long way to help you settle in a strange place :)

There are various places to get British stuff like marmite - bigger supermarkets may have "international aisles". If World Market is in NO they always have it in stock, if no local store  you can shop online - worldmarket.com - too so worth a look to stock up on that and various other British goodies too (aeros, birds custard powder, hobnobs....) :) There are various "British stores" dotted around the country too and a few of them also do online, but World Market will probably be cheapest.

Thank you , i will look into that! 

5 minutes ago, Inikamoze said:

Lots if places you can get hold of PG tips or Tetleys....

digestives are making their way into normal ailes in the supermarket now too.... we're slowly turning them! 

I have see Tetleys but never PG tips down here... only these health teas

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

New Orleans is truly unique place. One of the few truly culturally American cities left. Glad you've found a new home! Laissez les bons temps rouler! :jest:

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Loved reading your experiences and you really never see and feel a different culture until you live it, I've yet to visit New Orleans but for sure plan on it some day. Again, thanks for sharing...the joys of loving life instead of finding all the flaws.

23 hours ago, Bayoubrit said:

I am from the UK, my work took me around the world for long periods of time and at many points i was in the US working on projects. I fell in love with Boston, Chicago and New York but my passionate love is New Orleans. Being from Oxford everything there is old and steeped in history, I am proudly English and always will be but the passion the states has for flag and country is amazing. I met my now wife in Tulsa Oklahoma while i was there on work, it was a Disney movie of love at first sight. We lived together in the UK and then Abu Dhabi UAE before deciding after i got laid off from Oil and gas to move her home. I was going to return to the UK see out my final 4 months in the UK office while doing my CR-1 visa. I came here on a holiday before returning to the UK and my company told me i was not required to return... that was a change in the plan and once we found out about the change of status we started the ball rolling. While the paper work and processing was going on I explored New Orleans.

Now i had never been here before, the first time was to visit my wife's family in 2015 and i fell in love with the city, people, food and culture here. I have spent time walking around the french quarter, the CBD and residential suburbs each step making me smile about my new home.

Sure things are different here, i cant find a egg and bacon bap with a cup of tea. Bacon is different from home, marmite is impossible to find and try explain what blood pudding is to people who have no clue. Although for each one of those things i miss, i find something new to try, expand my tastes and horizons. I never had a shrimp Po Boy, ate craw fish or mud bugs as they are known here but the main thing for me and my own is .... New Orleans feels like home. I sound different than everyone else, sometimes the English language gets strange here and the English sense of humor lost in translation but New Orleans is my Home.

Would i wait as long as i did to get my green card again, you bet i would because at this point looking across at my wife in our home city makes all the stress, money and time spent all worth it....

NO place like New Orleans.. i'm such a Cajun girl...Crawfish and King Cake season is here :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

What a lovely story! :)

:wub: Immigration & Expat Blog Links :wub:

My Full K1 Fiance Visa Journey

January 2017 Filer

K1 Approved on the 30th of June 2017 (6.5 months in total, no RFEs).

AOS Journey 

October 2017 filer

EAD/AP Approved December 2017 (75 days, no RFEs)

AOS Approved 8/15 (no RFEs) 

Living in the US

Info on getting set up

wedding planning

homesickness & everyday life

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Great story and one of the things I envy most about visitors to America, they tend to see and experience things natives never will. 

Pkg Sent:9/13/16

Received at Chicago Lock box: 9/16/16

Received Texts: 9/30/16

NOA1 Received: 10/4/16 : Receipt Date of 9/19/16

Bio Appt letter Received: 10/12/16

Bio Appt completed: 10/24/16

Card in production: 11/17/16

Combo Card received 11/25/16

• 4 weeks later...

You might could order marmite online at https://www.heb.com/product-detail/marmite-yeast-extract/606191. It's a TX food chain but they carry pretty much everything from all over the world.

I'm happy you're happy here though. The world is good when you're happy where you're at.

Edited by Marco&Bettina

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

• 1 month later...

So lovely to read your story. There are so many people who move to the USA and complain about everything, even though they made the choice to be there.  I personally am at the last part of NVC stage for my visa, and look forward to moving with a positive attitude like yours to absorb all the awesome things about our new adventure, not the negatives. 
I also plan to pack several jars of marmite ... the kiwi version ;-) 

Got married: 26th Sep 2013 

I-130 Petition Process:

Sent petition to USCIS Chicago lockbox (via in-laws to put check in US$): 11 Mar, 2016

NOA1: 24 Mar, 2016 (email notification 30 Mar. Hardcopy 11 Apr)

Service Centre: NEBRASKA

NOA2: 3rd Aug 2016

Petition sent to NVC: 18th Aug 2016

NVC Stage

Case number assigned: 8th Sep 2016

Paid AOS Fee: 9th Sep 2016

Paid IV Fee: 14th Sep 2016

DS-260 submitted: 25th Jan 2017

AOS & IV Package sent: 25th Jan 2017

Expedite requested: 25th Jan 2017

Expedite approved (consulate only): 1st Feb 2017

Scan Date: 31st Jan 2017

Case Complete: 14th April 2017 (10 weeks 4 days)

Full expedite approved (bypass NVC to send file to embassy), however too late as I already had case complete 17th Apr 2017

Case arrived at Embassy: 21st April 2017

P4 letter received: 26th April 2017 (expedite at embassy stage so this came from the consulate, not NVC)

Medical date: 26th April 2017

Interview date: 4th May 2017 APPROVED!!

Visa received: 8th May 2017 

POE (entered the USA): 15th May 2017 

On 4/1/2017 at 4:59 AM, Thesmiths2016 said:

So lovely to read your story. There are so many people who move to the USA and complain about everything, even though they made the choice to be there.  I personally am at the last part of NVC stage for my visa, and look forward to moving with a positive attitude like yours to absorb all the awesome things about our new adventure, not the negatives. 
I also plan to pack several jars of marmite ... the kiwi version ;-) 

Lots of luck to you! While living in NZ I was turned to eating Marmite every morning! Lucky for us, my mother-in-law sends us a box of goodies for Christmas filled with Cadbury and Marmite! 

I am happy for OP and his big easy living in New Orleans! Positive stories are always a good read, and indeed looking at my family after all the waiting, frustration and money is all worth it once everything comes through!

And as for the blood pudding, look into the local butchers and not the conventional grocery stores. We have been lucky to find such goodies after a while of looking!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.