Dowbs

UK passport name change during AOS

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

After arriving in November on a K1 visa, I got married in December, and chose to take my husband's last name. I've updated my SS card and applied for AOS with my new name.

I'd now like to update my UK passport. But is this possible / wise during AOS?? My concerns are:

• You have to send your application and supporting documents back to the UK to obtain a new passport - there is no option to go to a UK embassy or consulate in the US anymore 
  • Photocopies of your current passport aren't acceptable; you must send the passport itself with your application
  • My current passport obviously contains my K1 visa, and I feel nervous about being in the US without it, even though I've now married and am in the AOS process. It is also my only solid photographic ID, as I don't have a driving licence
  • The UK passport website says to expect to receive the new passport after 4 weeks, which is not especially quick.

Writing this down perhaps answers my own question, which is that I should wait until after AOS... and book any travel in the meantime under my maiden name. 

Has anyone renewed their passport during AOS though, and have any advice? I have a friend who says he knows someone (:huh:) who just sent in photocopies of her passport, along with an explanation of why she needed to keep her passport with her... anyone done this?!

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: just spoke to a friend and he managed to renew his passport during AOS without sending his current passport to the UK. He had his employer write a letter stating that he needed his passport for travel in the next month, and submitted that along with colour copies (not notarised) of his passport. 

I am planning to do the same - write a letter stating that I need my passport for ID purposes and for the K1 visa, and submit colour copies of the bio and visa pages of my passport.

Thanks for asking this question. I'm brand new to this forum and begun the process this week.

I too am wondering what happens all the way down the line in regards to this. My partner and I are going double-barreled, so will both be changing names. Will I have to change my name twice? Once with the US authorities, and again with the UK authorities, for a new British passport? Are there issues with having a US green card in one name, and a UK passport in another?

25 Jan: I-129F Sent from Berlin | 27 Jan: NOA-1 | 01 May: RFE19 May: NOA-2

03 Jun: NVC Received | 20 Jun: NVC Issued Case Number | 23 Jun: Case Ready 

29 Jun: Medical | 03 Jul: Packet 3 received & sent | 13 Jul: Interview | 20 Jul: Visa In Hand

07 Aug: POE | 06 Sep: AOS Sent | 15 Sep: NOA-1 | 15 Oct: RFE | 29 Nov: EAD/AP/AOS NOA-2 | 06 Dec: EAD/AP In Hand

02 Jan: AOS Interview | 08 Jan: GC Received

04 Oct: I-751 Filed | 10 Oct: GC Extended

18 Aug: I-751 Approved | 04 Oct: N-400 Window Open + Filed

18 Apr: Biometrics Reuse | 14 Jun: Interview

Are you a man or a woman?

In the US if you are a woman, a marriage certificate serves as proof of a name change, and you can just bring it to the SS office / DMV to change your name on your SS card / driving licence / state ID. You can also present your marriage certificate and an ID in your new name to your bank. When you apply for AOS (and Advance Parole and EAD), you should apply with your new double-barrelled name. If you continue to use your passport with your maiden name on it, it shouldn't be a problem (you'll need to book your travel in your maiden name), but you could bring your marriage certificate when travelling if you're worried. Ideally you should obtain a new passport in your new name within the first year of your marriage, apparently.

If you are a man, generally a marriage certificate isn't enough to prove a name change (which doesn't seem right to me :wacko:). The laws on how to do it vary state by state, so you'll need to research how it works where you live.

For a new British passport with a name change, just go to the UK passport website to see what documents are required. I think you need to send in one document that shows your new name is the one you currently use (like a SS card or driving licence), plus your marriage certificate. The requirements are the same whether you are a man or woman. You don't need to do a name change by deed poll or anything like that.

47 minutes ago, Dowbs said:

Are you a man or a woman?

In the US if you are a woman, a marriage certificate serves as proof of a name change, and you can just bring it to the SS office / DMV to change your name on your SS card / driving licence / state ID. You can also present your marriage certificate and an ID in your new name to your bank. When you apply for AOS (and Advance Parole and EAD), you should apply with your new double-barrelled name. If you continue to use your passport with your maiden name on it, it shouldn't be a problem (you'll need to book your travel in your maiden name), but you could bring your marriage certificate when travelling if you're worried. Ideally you should obtain a new passport in your new name within the first year of your marriage, apparently.

If you are a man, generally a marriage certificate isn't enough to prove a name change (which doesn't seem right to me :wacko:). The laws on how to do it vary state by state, so you'll need to research how it works where you live.

For a new British passport with a name change, just go to the UK passport website to see what documents are required. I think you need to send in one document that shows your new name is the one you currently use (like a SS card or driving licence), plus your marriage certificate. The requirements are the same whether you are a man or woman. You don't need to do a name change by deed poll or anything like that.

Thanks for getting back. I'm a guy, but thankfully we're going to be in Mass, and I've found the following below from Wikipedia:

In 2007, Michael Buday and Diana Bijon enlisted the American Civil Liberties Union and filed a discrimination lawsuit against the state of California. According to ACLU, the obstacles facing a husband who wishes to adopt his wife's last name violate the equal protection clause provided by the 14th Amendment of the Constitution.[25] At the time of the lawsuit, only the states of Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Massachusetts, New York and North Dakota explicitly allow a man to change his name through marriage with the same ease as a woman. As a result of the lawsuit, the Name Equality Act of 2007 was passed to allow either spouse to change their name, using their marriage license as the means of the change; the law took effect in 2009.[12][26]

I find it absurd that that's even a thing, but there you go. Thankfully I already have a SSN from my time studying in the states, so I guess I'll do the name change during AOS. And then apply for a new UK passport once it's gone through!

25 Jan: I-129F Sent from Berlin | 27 Jan: NOA-1 | 01 May: RFE19 May: NOA-2

03 Jun: NVC Received | 20 Jun: NVC Issued Case Number | 23 Jun: Case Ready 

29 Jun: Medical | 03 Jul: Packet 3 received & sent | 13 Jul: Interview | 20 Jul: Visa In Hand

07 Aug: POE | 06 Sep: AOS Sent | 15 Sep: NOA-1 | 15 Oct: RFE | 29 Nov: EAD/AP/AOS NOA-2 | 06 Dec: EAD/AP In Hand

02 Jan: AOS Interview | 08 Jan: GC Received

04 Oct: I-751 Filed | 10 Oct: GC Extended

18 Aug: I-751 Approved | 04 Oct: N-400 Window Open + Filed

18 Apr: Biometrics Reuse | 14 Jun: Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.