embay16

Tax Return - Which Spouse to List First?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Sorry if this is already been asked and answered, but I had no luck finding this answer anywhere. And maybe it's a silly question, but I don't want to risk it!

My husband (currently in the AOS process) has a social security # and has filed taxes previously for which he has been considered a resident for tax purposes. My thought is that I, the USC, should be listed first on the tax return, but then we are filing from his address (because we currently don't live together due to his schooling and my job). I know which forms we are using and that we can file electronically (since he has before), and that whichever way we list it this time we need to be consistent in future years.

Does anyone know if it matters if the USC or the pending permanent resident is listed first/as the primary spouse?

Edited by embay16

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Brit1 said:

Taxes have nothing to do with immigration, so no, I can't see this mattering...

I figured it was a silly question and didn't matter. I just wasn't sure if it was going to take longer to process depending on who is listed or something. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

first and last does not matter in context of immigration, however, out of context of immigration, do remember to file taxes in the same order of names for the rest of your lives, i remember CPA's insisting on it because it makes things easier for IRS/Financial Planning purposes

ROC Timeline

June 15, 2020: Sent package through USPS

June 18, 2020: Delivered to Arizona PO box

June 23, 2020: Credit Card Debited

June 24, 2020: E notification for case (LIN-Receipt) 

July  15, 2020: Case was updated to show that fingerprints were taken

July 16, 2020 : Official NOA letter dated July 1 was received  

July 20, 2020 : Official fingerprint taken notice dated July 15 was received

March 05, 2021: Status updated to "Card in Production"

March 06, 2021: Status updated to I-751 Approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you are "old School" the husband goes first, the wife goes second.  Honestly, it doesn't matter but you should be consistent going forward because it helps your accountant and IRS keep things straight-- its certainly not a requirement.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.