rfcpatrick09

Tips on AOS interview!

17 posts in this topic

Hi, me and my wife who have been patiently waiting, we now have an interview ahead of us at Seattle field office next Thursday. I met her two years ago while I was living back in Oregon in school and since then we moved to Seattle, got married about a year and half ago and been living the dream!

Though, she's only 22 and I am 25, we seem to have less documents to bring to the interview that worries me. 

First of all, she was married once but she got divorced before we got married because they were seperated when she met me and she fell in love with me. 

She has a couple misdeameanors(theft) on her criminal record, its hard for us to get a lease together for the apartment so we live in an apartment where I am on the lease alone. We do have a driver license with matching address since she lives here with me and have mails coming in under her name along with her paystub to match the address. 

So far, we have photos of us together on trips, with inlaws and not wedding photos due to us waiting till my father retires so we can have a proper wedding when he has more free time to come to the US. 

-bank statement together

-electricity bill together

-her car on my car insurance (couldn't get on her financed car cause i didnt have social back then but I pay for the monthly payment)

-statement from my sister and her fiance stating our relationship and marriage are bona fide

Honestly there are not many more things we can gather together. I feel like we are shorthanded. 

Any advice is welcome, how should we approach this?

Hi, me and my wife who have been patiently waiting, we now have an interview ahead of us at Seattle field office next Thursday. I met her two years ago while I was living back in Oregon in school and since then we moved to Seattle, got married about a year and half ago and been living the dream!

Though, she's only 22 and I am 25, we seem to have less documents to bring to the interview that worries me. 

First of all, she was married once but she got divorced before we got married because they were seperated when she met me and she fell in love with me. 

She has a couple misdeameanors(theft) on her criminal record, its hard for us to get a lease together for the apartment so we live in an apartment where I am on the lease alone. We do have a driver license with matching address since she lives here with me and have mails coming in under her name along with her paystub to match the address. 

So far, we have photos of us together on trips, with inlaws and not wedding photos due to us waiting till my father retires so we can have a proper wedding when he has more free time to come to the US. 

-bank statement together

-her car on my car insurance (couldn't get on her financed car cause i didnt have social back then but I pay for the monthly payment)

-statement from my sister and her fiance stating our relationship and marriage are bona fide

Honestly there are not many more things we can gather together. I feel like we are shorthanded. 

Can you get a letter from the apartment complex confirming that she lives with you? Do you have any joint health/other insurance? 

Do you not have any pictures from the day you got married?

I wouldnt worry too much; you have a decent amount of evidence. Good luck!

Edited by Brit1

Hi most of the time IO's likes to see a lease, as the above person said you should probably ask for a written letter from you apartment complex stating that your wife live with you. Bring a lot of pictures all through your relationship, dating stage, trips together, wedding day etc. Receipt of gifts to each other. I also brought a copy of the whole package I sent to them, and all original documents. USCIS will look close and deep to the applicant and not the USC petitioner. If you have chat logs you should print that out and bring it with you at the interview, it is always better to be over prepared

to give you my case experience, we did not have a lease together, bank account or anything that had both our names on. We had pictures, letters from relatives , flight tickets , hotel bookings and text messages. When the IO asked why we didn't have joint documents i explained that i didn't have a SSN to be allowed to do some items and that i never wanted to do anything in a grey area to ruin my chances of getting approved.  He said that it makes perfect sense and approved us on the spot. The most important things in my eyes are the divorce decrees for ALL previous marriages, married documentation and a copy of everything in the file you submitted & anything that has happened since the filling. 

17 hours ago, rfcpatrick09 said:

-bank statement together

Do you have Wills? or Power of Attorneys for each other?    Life insurance on each other, making each other the beneficiary's?

Any Sams clubs memberships? or joint credit cards? Joint gym memberships?  All those are good to have.

On 1/17/2017 at 11:27 PM, Brit1 said:

Can you get a letter from the apartment complex confirming that she lives with you? Do you have any joint health/other insurance? 

Do you not have any pictures from the day you got married?

I wouldnt worry too much; you have a decent amount of evidence. Good luck!

I think you are okay. you have enough evidences. 

Just now, Megha13 said:

I think you are okay. you have enough evidences. 

And yes, bring gifts, cards, pictures. the documents you have is enough i think. You can try to get a letter from the lease consultant that she lives with you. I did that. My husband's name is on the lease, as he pays the rent. I got a letter from the apartment that I also live with him . 

Before living with my boyfriend before (husband now) we were able to have my name on the lease even without the SSN, I was able to open a joint bank account with my husband and he added me as authorize user of his credit card. The lease or a letter from the owner of the aparment makes your evidence much stronger as I say better to be over prepared :)

Thanks everyone for the replies. I see a lot of people saying about the lease agreement but my wife (the us citizen) who has misdeameanor won't pass background check for the apartments that's why I can't get the proof from the apartment that she lives with me. Any alternative options??

3 hours ago, rfcpatrick09 said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I see a lot of people saying about the lease agreement but my wife (the us citizen) who has misdeameanor won't pass background check for the apartments that's why I can't get the proof from the apartment that she lives with me. Any alternative options??

Since I moved in after my husband had signed the lease, we couldn't convert it to a joint lease, however we managed to add me as a "legal occupant"

There was no background checks or anything, it was as simple as going to the realtors office and putting my name on some odd page of the lease. Maybe you can do something similar? Might be worth looking into ;) 

A legal occupant is different than a tenant, though. You're not required to pay rent if the tenant disappears etc. It just gives you the right to lawfully have access to the apartment/house.

5 hours ago, bunkx said:

Since I moved in after my husband had signed the lease, we couldn't convert it to a joint lease, however we managed to add me as a "legal occupant"

There was no background checks or anything, it was as simple as going to the realtors office and putting my name on some odd page of the lease. Maybe you can do something similar? Might be worth looking into ;) 

A legal occupant is different than a tenant, though. You're not required to pay rent if the tenant disappears etc. It just gives you the right to lawfully have access to the apartment/house.

Yes, so you can get a letter that she is an occupant of the apartment and she is livung with you. I have the same exact thing. I signed as a roommate, because my husband is paying the rent. I got a letter from the apartment thar i am living with my husband . You can do that

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.