JL818

Philippines passport renewal confusion

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Some background information:

- My wife came over last year on a K1 visa, we got married, and she is currently adjusting status, pending the final interview (scheduled for February).

- We have overseas travel scheduled for end of June. However, her Philippines passport is expiring in March, and therefore we will need to renew the passport.

- We've completed the paperwork for advance parole and are awaiting the response (we obtained this once already but it has already expired).

My questions:

- On the Philippines consulate website, it states that one of the requirements for passport renewal is "Proof that applicant has not applied for foreign citizenship e.g., resident alien card (green card)." Does this mean that we will not be allowed to renew the passport given that she IS applying for adjustment of status?

- When applying for the passport, is it okay for her to use her unmarried name, so that we don't have to take the trouble going through the name change process of getting a report of marriage, etc., etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
34 minutes ago, JL818 said:

Hi all,

Some background information:

- My wife came over last year on a K1 visa, we got married, and she is currently adjusting status, pending the final interview (scheduled for February).

- We have overseas travel scheduled for end of June. However, her Philippines passport is expiring in March, and therefore we will need to renew the passport.

- We've completed the paperwork for advance parole and are awaiting the response (we obtained this once already but it has already expired).

My questions:

- On the Philippines consulate website, it states that one of the requirements for passport renewal is "Proof that applicant has not applied for foreign citizenship e.g., resident alien card (green card)." Does this mean that we will not be allowed to renew the passport given that she IS applying for adjustment of status?

- When applying for the passport, is it okay for her to use her unmarried name, so that we don't have to take the trouble going through the name change process of getting a report of marriage, etc., etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Yes the consulate is looking for the green card or EAD card.    Your AP card expired already???  It has been a year or did you apply for the AP before filing AOS?

Yes the passport can be renewed in her maiden name.  

ROM is easy to complete as it can all be done by mail.

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

2 hours ago, Sagot said:

Yes the consulate is looking for the green card or EAD card.    Your AP card expired already???  It has been a year or did you apply for the AP before filing AOS?

Yes the passport can be renewed in her maiden name.  

ROM is easy to complete as it can all be done by mail.

Just want to be sure I understand your response. When you say that the consulate will be looking for the green card or EAD card, do you mean that if they see that my wife is currently on her way to getting a green card, or already has one, that she will be denied a passport renewal? I just want to make sure because as mentioned, on the Philippines consulate website, it states that one of the requirements for passport renewal is "Proof that applicant has NOT applied for foreign citizenship e.g., resident alien card (green card)."

Yes, my AP (I received paper documents, not a card) will be expiring in May, which is before my trip in June. Therefore, I have reapplied in case my wife doesn't get approved for her AOS on time.

The ROM can be done but I'm guessing that it will take some time to process and I would have to wait for that prior to even starting to process my passport, and I may not have the time to do that right now given that I need everything well in advance of June?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, JL818 said:

4 hours ago, JL818 said:

Just want to be sure I understand your response. When you say that the consulate will be looking for the green card or EAD card, do you mean that if they see that my wife is currently on her way to getting a green card, or already has one, that she will be denied a passport renewal? I just want to make sure because as mentioned, on the Philippines consulate website, it states that one of the requirements for passport renewal is "Proof that applicant has NOT applied for foreign citizenship e.g., resident alien card (green card)."

Yes, my AP (I received paper documents, not a card) will be expiring in May, which is before my trip in June. Therefore, I have reapplied in case my wife doesn't get approved for her AOS on time.

The ROM can be done but I'm guessing that it will take some time to process and I would have to wait for that prior to even starting to process my passport, and I may not have the time to do that right now given that I need everything well in advance of June?

Copy of the 797 NOA may be adequate, that shows applying for GC

ROM can be completed in 6-8 wks

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.