31 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

On the  December 21:2016..i went to us embassy  in Ghana...  for an interview ..everything  went well. The counselor  said he is not convinced..... So he is sending my case back to Homeland Security..... He gave me this white paper... 221g....

What should  I do.... 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

So they said they are denying the visa directly? What exactly does the 221g form say?

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
6 minutes ago, dodzipop said:

On the  December 21:2016..i went to us embassy  in Ghana...  for an interview ..everything  went well. The counselor  said he is not convinced..... So he is sending my case back to Homeland Security..... He gave me this white paper... 221g....

What should  I do.... 

If you can, please write exactly what was said on that paper, it'll allow us to help you better. In general, A 221g White slip denotes requirement for further processing by the USCIS. The Consulate pushes back these kinds of cases to the USCIS and the decision is taken based on the information obtained from the USCIS. In the context of a CR1 application, this usually (but not always) means that they do not believe the marriage was bonafide. They will send you're application back to the NVC, which will then send it back to the USCIS service center. The service center at that point will send you a notice of intent to revoke (NOIR), which will contain the reasons the counselor believes your application/visa should be rejected. At that point, you will have a chance to rebut these objections. If the service center reaffirms you're application, it will be sent back to the NVC, and then embassy for a second interview. Unfortunately, all of this will take some time. It may take more than a year to receive the NOIR notice, and another year or more (if you're petition is reaffirmed) to receive another interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I am so sorry this happened to you. Sadly Ghana is a tough embassy.

Have you contacted your Senator or Congressman? If not, you should. They can request a second interview (though not likely to be granted) and ask for the specific reasons why you were denied. At this point, the embassy will eventually send it back to the USCIS, where they will decide to either reaffirm or revoke the case. From what I have read, expect it to take about 12-18 months for that happened.

A couple of questions: 

- What evidence did you submit? 

- What questions did they ask you? 

- How many times have you visited? 

- Do you have any red flags like an age gap? 

Sorry for the questions. If you can give us some more info, we might be able to help you figure out why you were denied. 

Timeline

They gave me a White  sheet .

They ask me how did I meet my wife... 

What is my wife funny moments... 

I apply for  a visiting visa before... And I was denied... 5 times 

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove attachment containing personal information.

Timeline

That looks like a straight denial.

Like others said, the USC should contact their congress rep or senator; but there may not be much even they can do.

Seems like the case will return to USCIS and sit there until it basically expires after about 6-12 months... 

You can either try to file for an appeal (which I have heard is not worth the money), or formally withdrawl the petition and then refile again, or just wait for 6 some months to hear from USCIS.

Edited by Ben&Zian

02/03/2017 - Married 

Timeline

I apply for  a visiting visa before... And I was denied... 5 times .

I submitted  my medical... My fone record..... My police  report....... our marriage  pictures..... Marriage  certificate s..birth certificate... 

6 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

You can either try to file for an appeal (which I have heard is not worth the money), or formally withdrawl the petition and then refile again, or just wait for 6 some months to hear from USCIS.

I wouldn't recommend refiling without knowing why it was denied. It will likely just be denied again unless the cause for denial is resolved.

The 5 previous tourist visas attempts were likely a red flag that they thought you were visa shopping. This is just a guess, but 5 denials is a lot.

If the issue is that they don't believe you have a bona fide marriage, then more evidence will be needed. Face to face time is viewed upon heavily as good evidence.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

I wouldn't recommend refiling without knowing why it was denied. It will likely just be denied again unless the cause for denial is resolved.

The 5 previous tourist visas attempts were likely a red flag that they thought you were visa shopping. This is just a guess, but 5 denials is a lot.

If the issue is that they don't believe you have a bona fide marriage, then more evidence will be needed. Face to face time is viewed upon heavily as good evidence.

That is a good point. Forgot to put that info in there.

As said, you need to correct what ever it was that caused them to deny the visa.

And 5 denials is quite a few... a couple times maybe but 5 does seems like a lot.

02/03/2017 - Married 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
27 minutes ago, dodzipop said:

I apply for  a visiting visa before... And I was denied... 5 times .

I submitted  my medical... My fone record..... My police  report....... our marriage  pictures..... Marriage  certificate s..birth certificate... 

Truthfully, you didn't submit nearly enough evidence for this embassy. Did you submit proof of your spouses trips? Letters of support from family? Written conversations between you two? Anything other than a few wedding pics to support your relationship? With this embassy you have to submit anything and everything to prove your relationship. 

How many times did your spouse visit you? Did you get married during the first trip? 

Also, you should remove your image on here or at least black out your case number. 

Timeline

I did not know.... I have to submit  her trip to Ghana.. 

They gave me a check list  to present  to the embassy which I did.... 

Timeline
8 hours ago, O&GForever said:

Truthfully, you didn't submit nearly enough evidence for this embassy. Did you submit proof of your spouses trips? Letters of support from family? Written conversations between you two? Anything other than a few wedding pics to support your relationship? With this embassy you have to submit anything and everything to prove your relationship. 

How many times did your spouse visit you? Did you get married during the first trip? 

Also, you should remove your image on here or at least black out your case number. 

How will I do that  show me.... 

Sorry  it escape  me.... 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.