sdunford22

Am I able to get drivers license while waiting on my AOS NOA1?

10 posts in this topic

In all likelihood the answer will be no for most states. You are going to usually need an SSN, your EAD (in lieu of your green card), and your name on a piece of mail. You can obtain a license usually up to the point your I94 was valid for, but it expires on the same day the I94 does making it kind of pointless - so it's best to wait until the EAD comes through (go back and update this again when you have the green card too). If you already know how to drive it is likely you'll be able to bypass much of the 'new driver' stuff. Refer to your state DMV website or speak with a representative for specific rules and regulations.

Edited by yuna628

Just now, yuna628 said:

In all likelihood the answer will be no for most states. You are going to usually need an SSN, your EAD (in lieu of your green card), and your name on a piece of mail. You can obtain a license usually up to the point your I94 was valid for, but it expires on the same day the I94 does making it kind of pointless. If you already know how to drive it is likely you'll be able to bypass much of the 'new driver' stuff. Refer to your state DMV website or speak with a representative for specific rules and regulations.

Ok thank you, I have an SSN and a piece of mail with my name on it. I just don't have EAD as I mailed my paperwork two and a half weeks ago 

Call them and explain your current situation . As what I've seen on the Alabama website it could be possible. 

http://dps.alabama.gov/Home/wfContent.aspx?ID=30&PLH1=plhDriverLicense-DocumentRequirementsAndFees

scroll all the way down. 

Edited by Dutchster

Every state is different, so don't assume the answer is no. Google "Alabama driver license adjustment of status" and read through the results.

We live in Florida and my husband was able to get his DL even before he had his EAD or SSN. I know that's not the case everywhere, but Florida is not always the most progressive state, so you never know till you look.

Good luck!

Im in Utah and was able to get a 1 year license with my NOA1 for my adjustment of status. I don't have an EAD.

You should wait until you get the NOA1 and go to the DMV with your passport, NAO1,proof of SSN + proof of residence . They will use your A-Number to verify you on the DHS save case checker. But this all depends on the states rules, it looks like Alabama want proof of an approved I485... But you never know a lot of it's down to the luck of the person who deals with your case. 

Wish you all the best

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.