nepali29292

forcing me to divorce my wife

93 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, LionessDeon said:

How did they "force" you to sign? You shouldn't have signed anything without your own lawyer to review it.  Did you get anything in the divorce?   Go to Catholic Services in your area.  

they threatened me to charge me domestic violence and told me since im a immigrant i dont know much about the law here and told me that ill be in jail for next 10 years if i dont do it and on top of that i couldn't believe that this was happening to me, i still can't believe it. is catholic service going to help? ill see for one right now but let me know how they could help

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

They help people with a variety of services. They are a charity.  Sometimes legal services, clothing, shelter, etc. 

But it sounds as if you have no one here going home to your family and friends maybe best. Wil your ex wife and family at least buy you a plane ticket home?  You didn't even ask for that in the divorce settlement?

Just now, LionessDeon said:

They help people with a variety of services. They are a charity.  Sometimes legal services, clothing, shelter, etc. 

But it sounds as if you have no one here going home to your family and friends maybe best. Wil your ex wife and family at least buy you a plane ticket home?  You didn't even ask for that in the divorce settlement?

i was studying here and i left everything back in my home, i dont have anyone to support or anyone that i could go to. i had a job here but we moved so i had to quit it. im going to see for a lawyer if i can cause her http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/fiance-marriage-visa-book/chapter3-5.html , it clearly says that they will be responsible. i have no other option to fight for it. i have to fight my own wife who i could do anything for 

Filed: Timeline

So about 10 days ago you posted this thread and got repeated advice to contact a lawyer and that no one can FORCE you to sign divorce papers- and then a few days after being told this- you go ahead and sign the divorce papers....

Now you are posting "woah is me, I am an immigrant and naive and dont know about the laws here- so I was bullied/forced into signing and I didnt understand it".... Um really? Multiple posters advised you of the laws and suggested you see an attny. So honestly I dont really have much sympathy for you taking the 'naive stance' now.

No one here knows exactly what you signed- so no one is going to be able to give you specific advice OR know exactly what is going on. I can tell you a divorce is more then just 'signing papers'. Just because you signed something doesnt necessarily mean its official (yet) OR theres nothing you can do to alter it. So you NEED to contact an attny. You can try Catholic Charities or search for legal aid in your area. They will ONLY help you with the actual divorce. You may be able to contact the court and file additional paperwork contesting what you signed. You may not. This is why you need an attny.

If you are seeking support under the 864 then you need to contact a specialized attny for that. There are some websites advertising services for collecting under the 864. None of which I want to post here- but you can find them on google... 

If your (ex) spouse is not financially well off- which she doesnt sound to be since you have a joint sponsor- its unlikely any of those attnys will take your case and try to collect 864 money from her. Same goes for the joint sponsor. There is a thread about the 864 called something like suing under the 864 on here. Look for it and read it. 

Yes your sponsor agreed to provide for you- but that does not mean its easy to collect under the 864 NOR does it mean you will be able to. The courts expect YOU to take care of YOU. Just because someone promised to provide you support doesnt mean you get to sit back and do nothing while they take care of you. Its called personal responsibility. People that are successful in obtaining orders for support under the 864 in court need to show that even TRYING they can not keep themselves above the poverty line OR can not obtain stable employment due to a disadvantage like having children or no education. The courts will not award you support just so you dont have to work or can have an easier time with things. Again the thread referenced contains more info on this. 

OP.... I warned you several times about what not to do or take the family's threats seriously. Apparently you chose to ignore everyone's good advice on this thread. I'm sorry but you have put yourself into this mess. I would strongly strongly suggest you start following the good advice on here. 

On 1/17/2017 at 4:05 PM, rcripps said:

So you think you wife is going to swear under oath that you beat her up many times? She says you "made" her hit herself. Telling a counselor these things does not mean a swearing under oath you did them.  I will give one piece of advice. At this point, stay away from her, don't talk to the parents. Only see her with a fair witness present. Don't sign anything they ask you to sign.

I recall this from 10 days ago. 

Yeah, now tough to sympathize with OP. Why post on the forum to ignore advice? 

Edited by KierenHby

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

17 minutes ago, KierenHby said:

I recall this from 10 days ago. 

Yeah, now tough to sympathize with OP. Why post on the forum to ignore advice? 

The first thing that comes to mind is you ignore advice when the advice might expose a part of the story you don't want exposed. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

As for support, that could have been worked out in the divorce. If you were eligible,  they will granted you spousal support. That is all done through the court but if you signed an uncontested divorce then your hands are tied unless you can prove you signed under duress again you need a lawyer as you are so emotionally involved that you are not even able to accept sound rational advice for free. As for 864 support you are misinterpreting the language. She will be responsible to the government if you become a public charge. What you need to do is apply for public benefits of some sort if you need them and let the rest take care of itself. Good Luck with everything. i think we all have sympathized and empathized with you as much as we can however if you refuse to follow our advice  for example do not sign anything, they cannot make you, and no you would not be deported. Your plight is in your hands now and it is time to Man up and handle your business. Instead of worrying about how someone will take care of you, think about the child and how you will take care of them. The relationship is apparently over but if you continue to engage you are going to make yourself sick. I really sincerely wish you the best but anything that happens from this point on is all on you. 

Pkg Sent:9/13/16

Received at Chicago Lock box: 9/16/16

Received Texts: 9/30/16

NOA1 Received: 10/4/16 : Receipt Date of 9/19/16

Bio Appt letter Received: 10/12/16

Bio Appt completed: 10/24/16

Card in production: 11/17/16

Combo Card received 11/25/16

21 minutes ago, Chardon Ne' said:

As for support, that could have been worked out in the divorce. If you were eligible,  they will granted you spousal support. That is all done through the court but if you signed an uncontested divorce then your hands are tied unless you can prove you signed under duress again you need a lawyer as you are so emotionally involved that you are not even able to accept sound rational advice for free. As for 864 support you are misinterpreting the language. She will be responsible to the government if you become a public charge. What you need to do is apply for public benefits of some sort if you need them and let the rest take care of itself. Good Luck with everything. i think we all have sympathized and empathized with you as much as we can however if you refuse to follow our advice  for example do not sign anything, they cannot make you, and no you would not be deported. Your plight is in your hands now and it is time to Man up and handle your business. Instead of worrying about how someone will take care of you, think about the child and how you will take care of them. The relationship is apparently over but if you continue to engage you are going to make yourself sick. I really sincerely wish you the best but anything that happens from this point on is all on you. 

i talked to free lawyer a while ago who saw my divorce papers and told me that it's not going to affect me from suing them for affidavit of support i-864. I wish i was in my right mind before signing the divorce paper but the lawyer said that it's a good thing that i signed it because now they can't charge me for any kind of abuse once I sue them for 864. he said that divorce and immigration law are 2 different things

Timeline
11 minutes ago, nepali29292 said:

i talked to free lawyer a while ago who saw my divorce papers and told me that it's not going to affect me from suing them for affidavit of support i-864. I wish i was in my right mind before signing the divorce paper but the lawyer said that it's a good thing that i signed it because now they can't charge me for any kind of abuse once I sue them for 864. he said that divorce and immigration law are 2 different things

Ok but we told you not to worry about it if she did because a charge is just an accusation and she could not win without any proof. Yes divorce and immigration are two different things but you are not in as bad a position as you think because you already have a green card. Now if you continue to focus on the hurt  as opposed to finding a job,  when it is time to file an extension you are doing a disservice to yourself because if you let your GC expire, there will be bigger issues. Your immediate issue is finding employment. Let your success be your revenge. 

Edited by Chardon Ne'

5 minutes ago, rcripps said:

You don't sue them for I-864 support. You get your government services and the government goes after them.

i hope it works. i still regret signing it but the lawyer said that i can still change the divorce papers by appealing for it so i'll see if i can get a lawyer who can help me with it. 

1 minute ago, Chardon Ne' said:

Ok but we told you not to worry about it if she did because a charge is just an accusation and she could not win without any proof. Yes divorce and immigration are two different things but you are not in as bad a position as you think because you already have a green card. Now if you continue to focus on the hurt  as opposed to finding a job,  when it is time to file an extension you are doing a disservice to yourself because if you let your GC expire, there will be bigger issues. Your immediate issue is finding employment. Let your success be your revenge. 

i really regret it now that i think of but i was really not in my right mind to think anything reasonably. im trying to look for a job now and my friend offered me to stay at his place until i get a place to stay. my GC expires in november 2018 but i heard that if i apply i751 this early then they will send my application back. thank you so much for your support though. everyone here has been very helpful but i acted the other way

Timeline
Just now, nepali29292 said:

i hope it works. i still regret signing it but the lawyer said that i can still change the divorce papers by appealing for it so i'll see if i can get a lawyer who can help me with it. 

It will only work if you receive some government services like Public Assistance benefits. You basically have to receive welfare benefits in order to be eligible to file that case. Your best bet was a contested divorce and proving she was the primary bread winner and you will require support to live without the marriage. If you signed uncontested, and can prove it was under duress, you may have a case but you need a lawyer for that because if you were able to do the research and find out these things on your own, you would not be here.  other than that its a wrap...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.