nepali29292

forcing me to divorce my wife

93 posts in this topic

i came to america as a fiance. it has been 10 months since we have gotten married and have gotten my conditional green card but now she is asking for a divorce. We have had fights and it was never a big deal. she lied to her parents for me to come here and never told them about the paperwork but her parents persistently kept asking her to tell the truth but she never wanted to. her dad emotionally tortured her everyday to make her tell her the truth. on january 11 we had a fight on the call regarding her parents and right after we hung up her parents came and asked her again and she finally said it because she was angry and was sick of their torture.  just until new year 2017 we were together and celebrating and going to parties but now she is filing a divorce and all her parents are threatening me to send me to jail because apparently she went to counselling and stufff because she was tired of my emotional and physical abuse and was not in any condition to be with me and all this has been recorded and has been documented. They told me how if i dont simply sign on the divorce papers they are going to throw me in jail for 10 years and then deport me back to my country. I dont know what to do at this point because i was attending college here and now if i do go back my entire year will get wasted and also i am madly in love with her. they never let her talk to me after january 11 and now she has been brainwashed completely against me.  Im really worried because my entire life feels scattered. what should i do? is there any way i can get out of it? i didnt do anything to deserve this. please any suggestion will be greatly appreciated 

There is a lot of missing story here. Can you start with that?

Like how did you guys get separated? Why is she with her parents and not with you? For starters.

Edited by Marco&Bettina

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Filed: Timeline

Calm down. They can't jail you or deport you. I'm sorry you are going through this. Ignore their threats. Get some counseling if you need it. If they filed for divorce then you can ignore it or sign it. Even if you sign it, you can still stay here and do removal of conditions with a divorce waiver.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Effects Of Major Family Changes from K1 P&P- As similar threads are discussed here.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Get a Divorce Lawyer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, rcripps said:

Calm down. They can't jail you or deport you. I'm sorry you are going through this. Ignore their threats. Get some counseling if you need it. If they filed for divorce then you can ignore it or sign it. Even if you sign it, you can still stay here and do removal of conditions with a divorce waiver.

but what if they actually end up charging me for domestic violence? she has been to counseling before and they say they have her recorded and documents words. plus its just been 10 months and dont you have to stay married for at least 2 years?

8 minutes ago, Marco&Bettina said:

There is a lot of missing story here. Can you start with that?

Like how did you guys get separated? Why is she with her parents and not with you? For starters.

she went for winter break to her parents and thats when this started. one day we were talking and the next thing i know is that they stopped her from talking to me because she finally accepted that she lied to them and brought me here

1 minute ago, nepali29292 said:

but what if they actually end up charging me for domestic violence? she has been to counseling before and they say they have her recorded and documents words. plus its just been 10 months and dont you have to stay married for at least 2 years?

They won't. It's a bluff/threat. Did you hit her? Restrain her? Threaten to harm her? Throw something at her? If no, then you probably have nothing to worry about and can jsut ignore them. They have to have "Physical" proof, police reports and hospital reports. They are just threatening you with the worst thing they can think of to make you sign a divorce document.

Just now, rcripps said:

They won't. It's a bluff/threat. Did you hit her? Restrain her? Threaten to harm her? Throw something at her? If no, then you probably have nothing to worry about and can jsut ignore them. They have to have "Physical" proof, police reports and hospital reports. They are just threatening you with the worst thing they can think of to make you sign a divorce document.

i never did any of those but what if she says that i have laid my hands on her couple of times and have done other stuffs? her parents told me that the police are easily going to believe it because she is a woman and its much more supported 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is there any chance you can talk to your wife? If so tell her to call the police that she is being held against her will or you will call them. 

If she can go out for a walk tell her to go somewhere where you can meet her. That is if she wants to go home with you. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

3 minutes ago, nepali29292 said:

i never did any of those but what if she says that i have laid my hands on her couple of times and have done other stuffs? her parents told me that the police are easily going to believe it because she is a woman and its much more supported 

I'm telling you that you need to stop listening to her parents' threats. I have said they are empty threats a couple of times. Stop worrying about it.

2 minutes ago, nepali29292 said:

If the parents are so manipulative like you say they are, then think about it...they're just trying to say whatever they can to manipulate you into doing what they want (signing papers). If you didn't do anything, then there's nothing to be so worried about. They need actual proof to escalate it anywhere.

Yes, you can ROC yourself if you get divorced. You don't have to wait the 2 years.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

2 minutes ago, rcripps said:

I'm telling you that you need to stop listening to her parents' threats. I have said they are empty threats a couple of times. Stop worrying about it.

ii just read this and it says that if there is sworn affirmation then its going to be a problem whether you are a us citizen or spouse of us citizen. when she went to counselling she has said how Ive made her hit herself and beaten her up in many occasions and all. isnt it a sworn affitmation? im sorry im really worried and depressed and very very scared. ill try my best 

One or more of the following criteria needs to be met to be accepted by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS):

(1) Proof that the marriage was legitimate (“in good faith”), for example, photos, confirmation of shared property or leases, joint bills and other proof of a life together.

(2) Proof that you will endure compelling hardship if sent back to your nation of birth (example: poverty, business loss, etc.).  Or, if there are children of the marriage.

(3) Proof of having experienced abuse, torture, or mistreatment by the US citizen partner, with police reports or sworn affirmations from neighbors and relatives.

So you think you wife is going to swear under oath that you beat her up many times? She says you "made" her hit herself. Telling a counselor these things does not mean a swearing under oath you did them.  I will give one piece of advice. At this point, stay away from her, don't talk to the parents. Only see her with a fair witness present. Don't sign anything they ask you to sign.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.