Jrozzler

Passport organization question?

12 posts in this topic

hello VJ community. i had a quick question in regards to my k1 petition that im organizing. i am at the part where I (the petitioner) needs to prove my citizenship. i am going to copy all pages of my passport but im not sure how many photos and what size to put on my papers.  example: copying both sides of passport page together ie. 17 and 18. then putting that into a 4x6 size and having two of them per page. So 15 pages to my passport would total 8 sheets of paper with the last paper only including one 4x6 copy of the last page in my passport . is this to much? can i make the copies smaller and include more on a page? also, do they need to be in color?

thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Color is not needed.

B&W is fine.

Copy every single page even if no stamps.

I actually enlarged each page and highlighted my custom stamps to show entry and exit of Philippines.

If you want you can put 2 pages of PP on each page. I would not try to make a little booklet out of it as they need to attach this to their file folder and having different sized papers just makes it harder on them.

There is no set rule however other than give them what they ask for.

If you are US Born don't forget your BC (not hospital copy) certified from state in which you were born.

If you are naturalized then you will need your naturalization certificate.

Good luck

Jim

10/29/16....I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX
10/31/16....Delivered at Dallas Lock Box - per USPS

11/02/16....NOA1 Date on Hard Copy Notice
11/03/16....NOA1 Text and Email. Case sent to CSC
11/07/16....NOA1 Hard Copy Received

xx/xx/xx....NOA2 Text and Email

6 minutes ago, JimJesDuma said:

Color is not needed.

B&W is fine.

Copy every single page even if no stamps.

I actually enlarged each page and highlighted my custom stamps to show entry and exit of Philippines.

If you want you can put 2 pages of PP on each page. I would not try to make a little booklet out of it as they need to attach this to their file folder and having different sized papers just makes it harder on them.

There is no set rule however other than give them what they ask for.

If you are US Born don't forget your BC (not hospital copy) certified from state in which you were born.

If you are naturalized then you will need your naturalization certificate.

Good luck

Jim

ok thank you. i thought you could provide your passport OR birth certifcate. So you actually need to provide both?

14 minutes ago, Jrozzler said:

ok thank you. i thought you could provide your passport OR birth certifcate. So you actually need to provide both?

Only one form is required. Providing both is unnecessary.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

Only one form is required. Providing both is unnecessary.

JRozzler,

Geowrian is correct you actually don't need both, I did send both of them however and you may need your BC later so would not hurt to secure a copy.

Thanks Geowrian for clarifying.

Jim

What Documents Do You Need to Show That You Are a U.S. Citizen? a. If you were born in the United States, submit a copy, front and back, of your birth certificate. b. If you were naturalized, submit a copy, front and back, of your original Certificate of Naturalization. c. If you were born outside the United States and you are a U.S. citizen through your "parents", submit: a. The primary evidence document does not exist or is not available; (a) Police reports; (d) Trial transcripts. (c) News articles; or (b) Court records; Applicants may submit any credible evidence that is relevant to the request for a waiver. IMBRA requires USCIS to maintain a database to track repeated petitions for K visas. Upon approval of a second petition for a K-1 or K-3 visa filed by a U.S. citizen petitioner, USCIS will notify the petitioner that information concerning the petitioner has been entered into a multiple visa petition tracking database. USCIS will enter all subsequent K-1 or K-3 petitions filed by that petitioner into the database. Once a petitioner has had two K-1 or K-3 petitions approved, if a subsequent petition for a K-1 or K-3 visa petition is filed less than 10 years after the date the first petition was filed, USCIS will notify both the petitioner and the beneficiary of the number of previously approved petitions listed in the database. 4. What Case Tracking Requirements Were Added by IMBRA? (1) A copy of your original Certificate of Citizenship; or (2) Your Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of a United States Citizen. d. In place of any of the above, you may submit a copy of your valid, unexpired U.S. passport issued with a validity period of at least 5 years. You must submit copies of all pages in the passport. e. If you do not have any of the above and were born in the United States, see Item 6. of these instructions entitled

1 hour ago, JimJesDuma said:

JRozzler,

Geowrian is correct you actually don't need both, I did send both of them however and you may need your BC later so would not hurt to secure a copy.

Thanks Geowrian for clarifying.

Jim

What Documents Do You Need to Show That You Are a U.S. Citizen? a. If you were born in the United States, submit a copy, front and back, of your birth certificate. b. If you were naturalized, submit a copy, front and back, of your original Certificate of Naturalization. c. If you were born outside the United States and you are a U.S. citizen through your "parents", submit: a. The primary evidence document does not exist or is not available; (a) Police reports; (d) Trial transcripts. (c) News articles; or (b) Court records; Applicants may submit any credible evidence that is relevant to the request for a waiver. IMBRA requires USCIS to maintain a database to track repeated petitions for K visas. Upon approval of a second petition for a K-1 or K-3 visa filed by a U.S. citizen petitioner, USCIS will notify the petitioner that information concerning the petitioner has been entered into a multiple visa petition tracking database. USCIS will enter all subsequent K-1 or K-3 petitions filed by that petitioner into the database. Once a petitioner has had two K-1 or K-3 petitions approved, if a subsequent petition for a K-1 or K-3 visa petition is filed less than 10 years after the date the first petition was filed, USCIS will notify both the petitioner and the beneficiary of the number of previously approved petitions listed in the database. 4. What Case Tracking Requirements Were Added by IMBRA? (1) A copy of your original Certificate of Citizenship; or (2) Your Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of a United States Citizen. d. In place of any of the above, you may submit a copy of your valid, unexpired U.S. passport issued with a validity period of at least 5 years. You must submit copies of all pages in the passport. e. If you do not have any of the above and were born in the United States, see Item 6. of these instructions entitled

ok thanks, could you clarify what the vailidity period means? my passport expires in 2019. does it need to be valid for 5 years past the date im petitioning?

Timeline

US Passports for adults are valid for 10 years. I would read that as your expiration date must be at least 5 years away from 1/2017.

EDIT: ok did some research the passport needs to be valid for at least 5 years when it was issued.

I'm not aware of any passport that would be valid for less than 5 so kind of an odd question that USCIS is asking.

You should be fine.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/FAQs.html#General

I was born in Colorado and ordered on-line in the past it was very quick

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/news/ways-order-vital-records

Jim

Edited by JimJesDuma

12 minutes ago, JimJesDuma said:

US Passports for adults are valid for 10 years. I would read that as your expiration date must be at least 5 years away from 1/2017.

EDIT: ok did some research the passport needs to be valid for at least 5 years when it was issued.

I'm not aware of any passport that would be valid for less than 5 so kind of an odd question that USCIS is asking.

You should be fine.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/FAQs.html#General

I was born in Colorado and ordered on-line in the past it was very quick

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/news/ways-order-vital-records

Jim

I concur. Any passport valid for at least 5 years would qualify - not to be confused with the expiration date on it (albeit I wouldn't use one that is likely to expire while waiting for processing).

A passport can be issued for less than 10 years if you are a minor.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/limited-validity.html

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

9 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I concur. Any passport valid for at least 5 years would qualify - not to be confused with the expiration date on it (albeit I wouldn't use one that is likely to expire while waiting for processing).

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/limited-validity.html

ok gotcha, well mine was issued in 2009 and expires in 2019. ill find by BC just to be safe though

Timeline
4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I thought about that as my kids have passports and they are valid for 5 years but USCIS says it must be a validity of at LEAST 5 years to be used in place of a BC.

So if 5 years validity for minor and 10 years for adult I'm not aware that they issue passports for LESS than 5 years hence the UCIS passport qualifications seem irrelevant unless there is a special circumstance where they would have a validity period of LESS than 5 years.

Jim

16 minutes ago, JimJesDuma said:

I thought about that as my kids have passports and they are valid for 5 years but USCIS says it must be a validity of at LEAST 5 years to be used in place of a BC.

So if 5 years validity for minor and 10 years for adult I'm not aware that they issue passports for LESS than 5 years hence the UCIS passport qualifications seem irrelevant unless there is a special circumstance where they would have a validity period of LESS than 5 years.

Jim

Good point. I thought they were for less than 5 years as a minor. Guess not...

I did a quick search and it's not uncommon for a replacement of a lost/stolen passport while abroad to be issued for shorter durations than 10 years.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

Good point. I thought they were for less than 5 years as a minor. Guess not...

I did a quick search and it's not uncommon for a replacement of a lost/stolen passport while abroad to be issued for shorter durations than 10 years.

Aha ha! Mystery solved! :thumbs:

Jim

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.