Cybery

Anyone traveled on I-551 Stamp

13 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I am in ROC process for past 17 months(yes gahhh). So i got the stamp I-551. I have been avoiding to travel outside US but now I am sick and tired of waiting.Me and my husband want to go to Mexico for a vacation. 

My situation is this my passport expired so when i went to get the green card stamp(I-551)at local InfoPass,they took my actual green card and they gave me this little paper with the I-551 stamp. Honestly the paper looks so bogus,so now i am worried if I travel and to re-enter I will have issues. 

I have traveled before on my green card and I had terrible experience,I was questioned for 3 hours because they couldnt find that I was married in their system. This is why I have been putting off traveling outside the US,since it seems like they are kind of confused with their systems and stuff. 

I want to hear your experience traveling on I-551 and if you had any issues entering the US. Also I will be getting a new passport,should I go back to Info Pass and ask for stamp there? 

Thank you

I traveled on the I-551 stamp last week and had no problems at all. My experience was no different than traveling with the plastic green card. Two minutes with an agent at the border, fingerprints and gone.

Good luck!

Edited by Dembele

3 hours ago, Dembele said:

I traveled on the I-551 stamp last week and had no problems at all. My experience was no different than traveling with the plastic green card. Two minutes with an agent at the border, fingerprints and gone.

Good luck!

Do you have stamp on your passport?

Did the USCIS take your plastic green card when they issued you the stamp?

8 minutes ago, Cybery said:

Do you have stamp on your passport?

Did the USCIS take your plastic green card when they issued you the stamp?

Yes and yes.

I still have the 1 year extension receipt which I showed alongside the I-551 stamp. It's definitely worth bringing along as additional evidence.

I should also mention that my experience at the border was easier than I've heard from others. Many people have reported being taken for additional screening in a side office. I think it depends on the airport.

Edited by Dembele

I flew back to the US (Newark airport) from Mexico City on Dec9 using my extension stamp. The immigration officer stated that secondary inspection is required to verify the stamp, and I followed another officer into the appropriate area. Within the secondary inspection room I spent about 5 min waiting for the officer to call me, and we spoke for about 30 seconds and I was on my way. 

22 hours ago, Dembele said:

Good luck!

Hi Dembele

Had your extension letter expired? I was under the impression that you do not need the stamp if your letter is still valid? The reason I ask is because I am travelling next week with the valid extension letter and expired GC.

Thanks

53 minutes ago, TYorke1 said:

Hi Dembele

Had your extension letter expired? I was under the impression that you do not need the stamp if your letter is still valid? The reason I ask is because I am travelling next week with the valid extension letter and expired GC.

Thanks

Hi,

Last week I traveled with the I-551 stamp and the expired extension letter.

Earlier in 2016 I traveled with the expired green card and the valid extension letter, also without any problems.

I suspect the border agents are seeing a TON of these right now.

On 1/16/2017 at 4:40 PM, Cybery said:

Hello, 

I am in ROC process for past 17 months(yes gahhh). So i got the stamp I-551. I have been avoiding to travel outside US but now I am sick and tired of waiting.Me and my husband want to go to Mexico for a vacation. 

My situation is this my passport expired so when i went to get the green card stamp(I-551)at local InfoPass,they took my actual green card and they gave me this little paper with the I-551 stamp. Honestly the paper looks so bogus,so now i am worried if I travel and to re-enter I will have issues. 

I have traveled before on my green card and I had terrible experience,I was questioned for 3 hours because they couldnt find that I was married in their system. This is why I have been putting off traveling outside the US,since it seems like they are kind of confused with their systems and stuff. 

I want to hear your experience traveling on I-551 and if you had any issues entering the US. Also I will be getting a new passport,should I go back to Info Pass and ask for stamp there? 

Thank you

I think your situation is a little different, your passport is going to expire, you don't have the plastic green card, your passport does not have a ink stamping , all that is left is a piece of fake looking paper with a ink stamping..   you may have to check with the airlines if they will allow boarding?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.