Ashley Scott

UK beneficiaries :)

114 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Tigerflower said:

Hi Ashley. We're not newbies on here, but can well remember the excitement and worry that went along with the very first filing. :)  Our NoA2 for the K1 visa took almost 9 months... agony. But it's all worth it. He had no trouble with the medical interview at Knightsbridge, or the American embassy in London. My husband is from a town north of Brighton, and moved near Asheville, North Carolina. He found the weather in the 'deep' south a bit too humid in the summer, but loves the blue skies. He is now a licensed realtor and is waiting for his citizenship interview appointment. It's been almost five years now, and he really hasn't missed much at all about England. His family visits regularly as they love to come to America to shop. Much luck to you both for a swift journey! 

9 months!!  Ahh.. That would be so hard.  Definitely worth it though :)  Humidity.. lol. That is something I don't know if my fiancé will ever get used to.  The summers here in upstate South Carolina can get brutal. He described it as "walking into a brick wall" the first time he experienced the humidity. :) 

Thanks for sharing your story.  I love hearing from people who have completed the k1 journey.  It is encouraging to hear that "normal" life is around the corner.  Glad that your husband was able to adjust well and get on his feet here in the states.  I do have a question for you since you guys are far into your journey..  How long does it typically take to get the work visa approved to start working once over here?

:wub:"Waiting is a sign of true love and patience.  Anyone can say "I love you", but not everyone can wait and prove it's true" :wub:

12/21/16 - I-129f packet sent to Texas

12/23/16 - I-129f packet received

1/5/17- NOA1 receipt date

1/10/17 - NOA1 Hardcopy received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 minute ago, martin bk said:

Good Look for Saturday,

let us know how you get on, I have only driven through Arizona but hoping to visit the individual states and explore in more detail once I get over.

Talking about small towns we have less than 3k in the dale and heavy traffic basically  means we have sheep loose on the road.

Thank you very much :) You definitely have to see the states as individuals as I think they are all so different. 

sheep loose on the roads sounds familiar :lol:  

1 hour ago, Ashley Scott said:

Ha!  No proper bacon :P.  My fiancé is on about proper cheese.  He does not like our cheese AT ALL!  haha.  I have been researching to see if I can find anywhere local that would sell "proper cheese" but so far I have found nothing.  Food in general seems to be completely different.  I guess I will be learning how to make a proper roast and Yorkshire pudding to give him a little taste of home every so often.  :)  Good luck to you guys on your journey!  I look forward to keeping an eye on it!

My husband came here from the NE-UK, where the accent is thick and often confused for a whole host of other countries. Even after all his years of visiting, it took him about a year to adjust to life in America. I don't think he's 100% there yet, but I try to offer him what comforts I can from home. We can never offer proper chocolate unfortunately, so his parents send a steady supply. Try looking for fatback bacon or streak o' lean. It should be something a little closer to his 'proper bacon'. There are some specialty butchers in America that will also cut and cure meat the British way. For cheese it's a little more difficult, we have it good living near some states that do pride themselves on unique cheese. So far my husband likes Kerrygold which is small blocks of imported Irish cheese. We also have some local Amish markets and farms that make a good effort to recreate their own style of English cheeses... but there are plenty of specialty import shops. Is there a Wegmans down there yet? We have spent a good deal of time SC vacationing, and if iirc there are a couple of UK import shops and authentic eateries about.

25 minutes ago, ZoeUK1989 said:

Hi Ashley, I am from the UK, the West Midlands and moving to Arizona so this is a complete 180 for me and how I am used to things. I fly out to the USA on Saturday so very excited to finally get to be with my fiance Sarah.

Flip 180 as I am used to cold, dull weather for most of the year, very small town with a population of 22,000, places are very easy to get to as I am in the middle of everything, living with my parents etc... 

Going to the warmest part of Arizona, to a huge population where once you leave the city it seem miles before you see anything else where you can stop for a tinkle and a bite to eat, parents on Skype rather than my Fiance...

I also drive which I don't think I can do there straight away either so its like taking me back to the days of being 15 lol. I hope to pass my test and get on the road sharpish as this is my passion, I love driving!

I wish you the best of luck and I hope all is well :thumbs:  

Zoe: If you have a UK license you can drive, for a little while just as you would do when being a visitor. To be safe, I'd say stop just before your I94 runs out. It all comes down to when you are considered ''a resident'', and each state varies when you need to get a state license. For practical reasons get your SSN as soon as possible it will help you out faster in handling the DMV. Once you marry and apply for AOS (with EAD), as soon as you get your EAD - take that, your SSN, and proof of address into the DMV. You shouldn't have any problem obtaining your first license. What most states do is give you a bypass around starting over as a first-time driver. You'll probably need to complete a written and road test (instead of hours and hours of courses and drive time), and then you'll be all set. Go back in to update it once your green card comes, and you'll have a full license. Each state is different so refer to the local DMV. And if you encounter any employee that hasn't got a clue, ask for a supervisor. Driving in America to my husband is well.. boring lol. And it's true. Once you see driving in the UK vs America, it's easy to understand why. We have an automatic at present, and as soon as possible he wants to get back to stick shift.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ZoeUK1989 said:

I'm guessing you have been told you're not allowed to drive by someone who is scared right? Because legally you can drive in the UK on your US license :) 

What stage are you at with your process? 

Haha, yes.  That was my fiancé telling me there is no way he is going to ride with me driving in the UK.  I cant blame him.  I think I would be scared of my own driving over there. Lol. 

We are currently still in the beginning.  We have received our NOA1 with a receipt date of Jan 5.  Now we are just sitting and impatiently waiting for our NOA2.  And of course hoping that we don't receive an RFE but if we do.. we will handle that as it comes.  :) 

:wub:"Waiting is a sign of true love and patience.  Anyone can say "I love you", but not everyone can wait and prove it's true" :wub:

Just now, ZoeUK1989 said:

Thank you very much :) You definitely have to see the states as individuals as I think they are all so different. 

sheep loose on the roads sounds familiar :lol:  

It will be good to know about the driving as well, I am not sure about Arizona but I think in Utah I may just have to do the written test and fingers crossed I wont have to do another practical test, here's hoping

4 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

My husband came here from the NE-UK, where the accent is thick and often confused for a whole host of other countries. Even after all his years of visiting, it took him about a year to adjust to life in America. I don't think he's 100% there yet, but I try to offer him what comforts I can from home. We can never offer proper chocolate unfortunately, so his parents send a steady supply. Try looking for fatback bacon or streak o' lean. It should be something a little closer to his 'proper bacon'. There are some specialty butchers in America that will also cut and cure meat the British way. For cheese it's a little more difficult, we have it good living near some states that do pride themselves on unique cheese. So far my husband likes Kerrygold which is small blocks of imported Irish cheese. We also have some local Amish markets and farms that make a good effort to recreate their own style of English cheeses... but there are plenty of specialty import shops. Is there a Wegmans down there yet? We have spent a good deal of time SC vacationing, and if iirc there are a couple of UK import shops and authentic eateries about.

Zoe: If you have a UK license you can drive, for a little while just as you would do when being a visitor. To be safe, I'd say stop just before your I94 runs out. It all comes down to when you are considered ''a resident'', and each state varies when you need to get a state license. For practical reasons get your SSN as soon as possible it will help you out faster in handling the DMV. Once you marry and apply for AOS (with EAD), as soon as you get your EAD - take that, your SSN, and proof of address into the DMV. You shouldn't have any problem obtaining your first license. What most states do is give you a bypass around starting over as a first-time driver. You'll probably need to complete a written and road test (instead of hours and hours of courses and drive time), and then you'll be all set. Go back in to update it once your green card comes, and you'll have a full license. Each state is different so refer to the local DMV. And if you encounter any employee that hasn't got a clue, ask for a supervisor. Driving in America to my husband is well.. boring lol. And it's true. Once you see driving in the UK vs America, it's easy to understand why. We have an automatic at present, and as soon as possible he wants to get back to stick shift.

I so agree about the chocolate, but I have a lifeline, Utah has a British café - never tried the food because I don't get past the front as it stocks a wide selection of British Chocolate, downside is it costs four times the price.

I will Probably miss the bacon as well but I like American Cheese. :)

What Part of the North East is he from, I live County Durham but I grew up around Newcastle, most people seem to like my accent in the US, downside I get asked to say words like Squirrel when I visit.

3 hours ago, martin bk said:

Hi I am also new to the site, I am from Co Durham and moving to Utah to join my husband, Still trying to figure out what I want to take, leave behind.

We filed December and received the NOA1 so now the waiting game begins, I am just hoping Nebraska doesn't take that long, but we have already started getting everything ready for the next part so we can get it sent off ASAP.

Things I will miss - Probably everything, but the opportunities are endless so well worth it, plus I can always come back and visit.

Hey, we also filed our I-130 in December, but were sent to Texas Service Center.

I know the CR1 is a longer process than the K1, but from what I have seen, it seems to go quicker once it reaches the NVC stage. 

Good luck!

Just now, Shacues16 said:

Hey, we also filed our I-130 in December, but were sent to Texas Service Center.

I know the CR1 is a longer process than the K1, but from what I have seen, it seems to go quicker once it reaches the NVC stage. 

Good luck!

I think Texas gets through them a lot faster, the only difference I can see is not having to adjust status like you have to on the k1 and your green card arrives a few weeks after you do, so it makes it easier to get a job without having to wait while the AOS is being processed. 

2 minutes ago, martin bk said:

I so agree about the chocolate, but I have a lifeline, Utah has a British café - never tried the food because I don't get past the front as it stocks a wide selection of British Chocolate, downside is it costs four times the price.

I will Probably miss the bacon as well but I like American Cheese. :)

What Part of the North East is he from, I live County Durham but I grew up around Newcastle, most people seem to like my accent in the US, downside I get asked to say words like Squirrel when I visit.

The accent is beautiful, and most people love it here, when they aren't very confused. :P He also grew up around Newcastle. Love that city! It's a great place.

Thankfully TSC no longer handles K1 cases, so it's why they are completed much faster than the old days.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

1 minute ago, yuna628 said:

The accent is beautiful, and most people love it here, when they aren't very confused. :P He also grew up around Newcastle. Love that city! It's a great place.

Thankfully TSC no longer handles K1 cases, so it's why they are completed much faster than the old days.

The accent can be confusing to some, I have to remember to slow down.

Timeline
51 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Thank you for the advice!  I have researched a little bit regarding establishments to get proper English foods.  I haven't been able to find anything in my city but there does seem to be some places in South Carolina.  Seems to be more popular near the coast.  We will have to make trips to stock up once he gets here.  It really is the little things, such as salad cream, that are impossible to find here but yet are a staple back home for him.  I will have to look to see if there is a Wegmans.  I have never heard of this before but will be interested to find out! 

3 hours ago, Tigerflower said:

Hi Ashley. We're not newbies on here, but can well remember the excitement and worry that went along with the very first filing. :)  Our NoA2 for the K1 visa took almost 9 months... agony. But it's all worth it. He had no trouble with the medical interview at Knightsbridge, or the American embassy in London. My husband is from a town north of Brighton, and moved near Asheville, North Carolina. He found the weather in the 'deep' south a bit too humid in the summer, but loves the blue skies. He is now a licensed realtor and is waiting for his citizenship interview appointment. It's been almost five years now, and he really hasn't missed much at all about England. His family visits regularly as they love to come to America to shop. Much luck to you both for a swift journey! 

Hi

not really a newbie either, but not an old hand either - our first wedding anniversary is next month :)

I started life in Guildford, Surrey and also moved to just outside Asheville North Carolina - I miss proper sausages, bacon, coffee and chocolate - I get chocolate and coffee in care packages but not yet found sausage or bacon 

love love love the climate!

4 hours ago, ZoeUK1989 said:

Hi Ashley, I am from the UK, the West Midlands and moving to Arizona so this is a complete 180 for me and how I am used to things. I fly out to the USA on Saturday so very excited to finally get to be with my fiance Sarah.

Flip 180 as I am used to cold, dull weather for most of the year, very small town with a population of 22,000, places are very easy to get to as I am in the middle of everything, living with my parents etc... 

Going to the warmest part of Arizona, to a huge population where once you leave the city it seem miles before you see anything else where you can stop for a tinkle and a bite to eat, parents on Skype rather than my Fiance...

I also drive which I don't think I can do there straight away either so its like taking me back to the days of being 15 lol. I hope to pass my test and get on the road sharpish as this is my passion, I love driving!

I wish you the best of luck and I hope all is well :thumbs:  

You can drive on your U.K. license for a while (how long varies by state), you may find you can't get a US license until you have your EAD ( again all states do their own thing)

Have a safe trip Saturday and welcome to the US :D

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

Timeline
5 hours ago, Ashley Scott said:

Ha!  No proper bacon :P.  My fiancé is on about proper cheese.  He does not like our cheese AT ALL!  haha.  I have been researching to see if I can find anywhere local that would sell "proper cheese" but so far I have found nothing.  Food in general seems to be completely different.  I guess I will be learning how to make a proper roast and Yorkshire pudding to give him a little taste of home every so often.  :)  Good luck to you guys on your journey!  I look forward to keeping an eye on it!

Do a search in your area for British markets (or British Grocery Stores) We have a few here in Scottsdale.  The prices are a bit high(er) but well worth it to please the "proper"ness in demand LOL.  If you have a Kroger's line Supermarket (they go by many names) they sell "PROPER" Stilton Cheese (normally in the surrounding deli "fine" cheese section coolers) (it's Imported English Blue Cheese, btw) .

Make him a cottage pie, Toad in the hole, hot pot, scotch eggs, etc. :)

Happy Cooking!

12/01/2016 – Petition mailed
12/02/2016 – Petition received
12/07/2016 – NOA1 (text/email)
12/09/2016 – NOA1 (hard copy)
03/13/2017 – NOA2 (text/email) 102 days
03/16/2017 – NOA2 (hard copy)
03/23/2017 – NVC Received
03/31/2017 – US Embassy Received
04/18/2017 – DS-160 – Done
04/19/2017 – Visa Paid £217.30
04/19/2017 – Carrier Paid £18.00
04/24/2017 – NVC (hard copy)
04/28/2017 – Knightsbridge – Bentinck Mansions £290
05/12/2017 – Embassy Interview (Knightsbridge error cause delay)
05/22/2017 – Embassy (approved)
06/21/2017 – Arrived @ POE (Newark)
08/03/2017 – AoS mailed ($1140 & $85)
08/07/2017 – AoS received 
08/15/2017 – NOA1 – AoS Biometrics, Work Authorization & Travel Document
08/21/2017 – AoS, Work & Travel (hard copy)
09/05/2017 – AoS RFE (case status)
09/08/2017 – Biometrics (done)
09/18/2017 – RFE Received (text/email)
11/03/2017 – NOA2 – Work Authorization, Travel Document (text/email)
11/10/2017 – NOA2 – Work Authorization, Travel Document (hard copy)
11/20/2017 - EAD combo card (hard copy)
01/19/2018 - Change of Address (submitted)
02/05/2018 - Changed off Address (accepted/hard copy)
03/22/2018 - NOA2 AoS/Interview (Case Status)
03/28/2018 - NOA2 AoS/Interview (hard copy) 237 days
04/30/2018 - Interview Date @ 0800
04/30/2018 - RFE Received (Knightsbridge Error: Incomplete medical)
05/19/2018 - RFE Mailed (New Medical) $225
05/21/2018 - RFE (delivered w/ sign confirmation)
06/01/2018 - Green card received (mail) and e-Notifications

uk and usa.jpg

Timeline
2 hours ago, Shokra said:

Do a search in your area for British markets (or British Grocery Stores) We have a few here in Scottsdale.  The prices are a bit high(er) but well worth it to please the "proper"ness in demand LOL.  If you have a Kroger's line Supermarket (they go by many names) they sell "PROPER" Stilton Cheese (normally in the surrounding deli "fine" cheese section coolers) (it's Imported English Blue Cheese, btw) .

Make him a cottage pie, Toad in the hole, hot pot, scotch eggs, etc. :)

Happy Cooking!

I am going to have to look more intensely.  So far, my area doesn't seem to have many options when it comes to British anything.  We do have Kroger supermarkets around here.  I will have to go check that out!  I will make him cottage pie (but only if I can call it Sheppard's Pie and make it with beef :D).  The other stuff I am going to have to start practicing. lol.  I have almost got the English breakfast down.. only I guess I need to stock up on beans. haha. :) 

Timeline
53 minutes ago, Ashley Scott said:

I am going to have to look more intensely.  So far, my area doesn't seem to have many options when it comes to British anything.  We do have Kroger supermarkets around here.  I will have to go check that out!  I will make him cottage pie (but only if I can call it Sheppard's Pie and make it with beef :D).  The other stuff I am going to have to start practicing. lol.  I have almost got the English breakfast down.. only I guess I need to stock up on beans. haha. :) 

"I will make him cottage pie (but only if I can call it Sheppard's Pie and make it with beef :D)".   <--- then it wouldn't be cottage pie then :P Sheppard's Pie is made with Lamb, Cottage Pie is made with Beef (some are insulted if you call them the wrong thing ... 

12/01/2016 – Petition mailed
12/02/2016 – Petition received
12/07/2016 – NOA1 (text/email)
12/09/2016 – NOA1 (hard copy)
03/13/2017 – NOA2 (text/email) 102 days
03/16/2017 – NOA2 (hard copy)
03/23/2017 – NVC Received
03/31/2017 – US Embassy Received
04/18/2017 – DS-160 – Done
04/19/2017 – Visa Paid £217.30
04/19/2017 – Carrier Paid £18.00
04/24/2017 – NVC (hard copy)
04/28/2017 – Knightsbridge – Bentinck Mansions £290
05/12/2017 – Embassy Interview (Knightsbridge error cause delay)
05/22/2017 – Embassy (approved)
06/21/2017 – Arrived @ POE (Newark)
08/03/2017 – AoS mailed ($1140 & $85)
08/07/2017 – AoS received 
08/15/2017 – NOA1 – AoS Biometrics, Work Authorization & Travel Document
08/21/2017 – AoS, Work & Travel (hard copy)
09/05/2017 – AoS RFE (case status)
09/08/2017 – Biometrics (done)
09/18/2017 – RFE Received (text/email)
11/03/2017 – NOA2 – Work Authorization, Travel Document (text/email)
11/10/2017 – NOA2 – Work Authorization, Travel Document (hard copy)
11/20/2017 - EAD combo card (hard copy)
01/19/2018 - Change of Address (submitted)
02/05/2018 - Changed off Address (accepted/hard copy)
03/22/2018 - NOA2 AoS/Interview (Case Status)
03/28/2018 - NOA2 AoS/Interview (hard copy) 237 days
04/30/2018 - Interview Date @ 0800
04/30/2018 - RFE Received (Knightsbridge Error: Incomplete medical)
05/19/2018 - RFE Mailed (New Medical) $225
05/21/2018 - RFE (delivered w/ sign confirmation)
06/01/2018 - Green card received (mail) and e-Notifications

uk and usa.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.