Ariel and Joana

Is my Fiancee restricted from Traveling once Visa is approved?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all! I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I just needed to know. After the K-1 has been approved and my fiancee and I are married, are we resctricted from traveling abroad? The reason why I ask is that we're planning to have a civil wedding in the states and then have a church wedding in the Philippines. I thought I read something online that we had to wait 2 years before we could travel abroad. 

Thanks!

Ariel and Joana

The k1 is a one time entry visa, so once she enters the USA, she has to get married within the 90 days and after that apply for aos. With the aos, she can apply for advance parole (ap) as well, once granted, the document will allow her to go abroad and come back in. She will need either the ao or green card to be able to get back into the country

it takes around 90 after filing for aos to have the ap approved, so you'll need to wait at least 90 days after filing to plan a wedding abroad

Edited by p-ana
To add about ap wait

Timeline
Just now, p-ana said:

The k1 is a one time entry visa, so once she enters the USA, she has to get married within the 90 days and after that apply for aos. With the aos, she can apply for advance parole (ap) as well, once granted, the document will allow her to go abroad and come back in. She will need either the ao or green card to be able to get back into the country

What's the time frame with the AOS and Advance Parole?

4 minutes ago, Ariel and Joana said:

What's the time frame with the AOS and Advance Parole?

I edited the post to add that. After filing for aos, the ap is approved within around 90 days. Aos may take a lot longer, hard to predict, but I'd say within 6 months to a year

Timeline
4 minutes ago, p-ana said:

I edited the post to add that. After filing for aos, the ap is approved within around 90 days. Aos may take a lot longer, hard to predict, but I'd say within 6 months to a year

Okay, so we're looking at about almost a year before we can travel back to the Philippines?

Timeline
Just now, p-ana said:

No. If she comes here and you guys get married without delay, get your papers ready and sent right away, it would be around 90 days to travel. 

Oh, okay. As long as she has an approved AP right?

You are correct you can do exactly that and come to the USA get married, file for AOS with AP, then fly back to Pinas and get married again in the church. But in practical terms it does not make sense because you will spending alot of money to fly back and forth in so quick a time. What a majority of us do is get married here then in about 1-2 years go back to Pinas and do a renewal of vows in the church. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.