Adam&Allison

29th December 2016 Medical Experience

10 posts in this topic

Hey all,

So I thought I would add my experiences at Knightsbridge for a K1 visa for those of you who are worrying about it.

Before my medical I was really concerned for various reasons, the first and foremost being my BMI is very high right now, but it's high for unconventional reasons - I used to do alot of weight training and bodybuilding so am still packing quite alot of muscle, however when I stopped for a period of time - I also gained some fat, so I was worried about that. And I also got a virus two days before my medical that gave me a fever, chills, sore throat, stuffed nose etc. so I was concerned they'd not be able to get a good reading on the chest x-ray and I would have to go back.

So I arrived 40 minutes early at the Basil Mansions location (this is because the other location they use for medicals was closed between Christmas and New Year) and upon arrival the woman at the desk asked me for my police certificate, medical questionnaire, vaccination sheet, passport and passport photos, which I handed over then she handed me back another questionnaire to go and fill out - this had the usual questions you would anticipate on a questionnaire regarding your medical questionnaire, it took maybe 10 minutes to fill out - so I handed it back to the woman behind the desk and took a seat for around ten minutes, at which point I was called through for my chest x-ray. The radiologist had me take my shirt off, then hold two handles, press my chest up against the x-ray machine and roll my shoulders forward. We got this right the first time, and the reading was good enough that my worrying over the virus I got was all for nothing. 

After this, I was taken through to another waiting room (basil mansions is like a maze!) where I waited for maybe 15 or 20 minutes. I got speaking to a guy who was moving to Detroit with his child to be with his wife, so best of luck to him, anyways after about 20 minutes I got called through to a doctors office in which we went over both medical questionnaires (the one you fill out prior to the appointment, and the one you fill out at the appointment), we did a quick eye test (so take glasses/contact lenses if you need them!) then he took my blood pressure, which has been high lately with all the stress of the visa stuff but he didn't mention anything so I assume it was OK on the day. He then had a press around my neck, stomach and ankle area to check for abnormalities, of which, again he didn't mention anything so I assume their were none. He then attempted to take blood from my right arm but the vein collapsed, so he took it from my hand instead. Was quite unpleasant and I don't really mind needles. After that we had a quick five minute chat about where I'm moving, my thoughts on the new President-elect, and then I went right through to another room with a nurse to go over my vaccinations, of which all of mine were up to date except a flu shot which the nurse said I could either get over in England or in the USA, as long as I keep my proof I have it - she then signed my form off as complete pending the flu shot. 

That was it! I went to the front desk, handed in my urine sample which they give you a pot for at the start, paid the £290 fee, got my documents back and away I went! I was in for maybe 45 minutes. The results got to the embassy on the 10th January, which is fairly long but I assume it's because of the New Year bank holidays in between that time. My BMI wasn't even taken, and they also didn't check my genitalia.

Edited by Adam&Allison

"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future." - John F. Kennedy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Thanks for sharing your experience!  My fiancé is in England and will be doing his medical in London.  I know that he will appreciate being able to read other's experiences and getting a little heads up on what to expect.  Glad everything went well for you and hope you get your final approval and visa soon!

:wub:"Waiting is a sign of true love and patience.  Anyone can say "I love you", but not everyone can wait and prove it's true" :wub:

12/21/16 - I-129f packet sent to Texas

12/23/16 - I-129f packet received

1/5/17- NOA1 receipt date

1/10/17 - NOA1 Hardcopy received

7 minutes ago, Ashley Scott said:

Thanks for sharing your experience!  My fiancé is in England and will be doing his medical in London.  I know that he will appreciate being able to read other's experiences and getting a little heads up on what to expect.  Glad everything went well for you and hope you get your final approval and visa soon!

Tell him not to worry at all, I got myself all worked up for absolutely nothing. They're lovely people and the process is not hard at all! 

"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future." - John F. Kennedy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Adam&Allison said:

Tell him not to worry at all, I got myself all worked up for absolutely nothing. They're lovely people and the process is not hard at all! 

I will definitely let him know!  Thanks!  I look forward to hearing how your interview goes on Friday.  Hope it is as smooth as the medical! 

:wub:"Waiting is a sign of true love and patience.  Anyone can say "I love you", but not everyone can wait and prove it's true" :wub:

12/21/16 - I-129f packet sent to Texas

12/23/16 - I-129f packet received

1/5/17- NOA1 receipt date

1/10/17 - NOA1 Hardcopy received

7 minutes ago, Ashley Scott said:

I will definitely let him know!  Thanks!  I look forward to hearing how your interview goes on Friday.  Hope it is as smooth as the medical! 

You and me both! 

Hi,
It was really helpful to read your experience of the medical. Do you know if I need to have had the medical BEFORE I schedule my interview, or is it possible to schedule the interview and get the medical done in the interim?

Cheers,

Harry

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 1/20/2017 at 4:35 PM, harrynwaller said:

Hi,
It was really helpful to read your experience of the medical. Do you know if I need to have had the medical BEFORE I schedule my interview, or is it possible to schedule the interview and get the medical done in the interim?

Cheers,

Harry

You can schedule your medical in the interim as they are two separate booking processes (i.e you book the interview on line and book the medical over the phone with the doctors directly). Just to advise, it takes five working days for the results of your medical to be processed and couriered to the embassy, so ensure you do not book the interview without leaving a gap for the medical and a week for it to be processed.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just found this post, I've been told that I need my medical records to bring with me, it's listed on the medical confirmation email they sent "Summary of medical history from GP (NOT full medical records) and reports covering any medical conditions, disabilities, and prior serious illnesses you have been treated for or anything ongoing." this is adding 2 weeks at least onto my wait to go for the medical which isn't great as I need to get it done asap. I notice that you haven't mentioned anything to do with medical records being needed so I don't know whether I should get or not now.

I brought them but didn't need them, apparently you only need them if you have pre existing health conditions 

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Oh right, so did you have to pay for medical records at all? I heard you just need a summary of them not the full records. I have had asthma all my life so would I need to have medical records?

Edited by vaosauce

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.