Jump to content

Us citizenship after divorce

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Good afternoon, 


It has been 3 years this January that I've had a green card - I got the first one on January 2014 and I got the 10 year green card in December 2016. 

I was married to my ex-wife from august 2013 to November 2016 when our divorce was finalized (but were separated since July 2016).


1 - am I eligible to apply for dual citizenship? 

2 - where on n-400 is the option for dual citizenship and not just full us citizenship?

3 - my whole uscis process is in Indiana and I'm moving to Florida. Does this affect the citizenship process? To where do I send the N-400 form now? 

4 - how long does it take from the moment you apply until you have citizenship?


i travel a lot between the us and my home country and my daughter is actually an American citizen, so I find it easier to just have both passports, same thing will happen with her. 



Thank you in advance for any help provided! 


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites



no, once you divorce you have to apply under the 5 year rule, 90 days before your 5 years you can apply for citizenship


be careful of travelling too much, you must live and work here, physical presence in the country counts towards citizenship


and you might have problems with travelling too much with your GC if immigration thinks you are more in your home country than here, and as said it will go against your being able to obtain citizenship



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the quick answers! 


I know I can't be outside the US for long periods of time. I just normally visit family for special occasions, summer holidays and Christmas, never longer than 2 weeks. 


I really thought I could after 3 years even with a divorce. I read somewhere that I have to send the divorce papers when applying for citizenship, so I'm guessing that's when applying under the 5 year rule? 



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites



correct, you can only apply under the 3 year rule if you continue to be married with the usc, you have to prove once again that your marriage is bona fide, in good faith, just as the first time, same address, taxes together, bills together, everything in both your names


since you are divorced or even separated, you don't live under the same roof and it is not a bona fide marriage anymore



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.