Gulbalo

Father with two wives

61 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Gulbalo said:

there is a separate application for both but they are crisscrossed as husband and wife on the DS260, I-130. I don't know if they would be considered single

How would they be considered single? Are they legally married in your country? Then it means they are married

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Then you need to declare that you earlier said the answer was NO, which one is it?

I hope I am not confusing

Let me stab at this another way;

My biological mother and my father are the intended immigrants and I answered "NO" because my father is not coming to USA to practice polygamy by being legally married 'in the USA' to two wives. Therefore, on DS260s and I-130s they are crisscrossed as husband and wife.

I don't know if answered your questions. Bear with me if I am repetitive in my questions

6 minutes ago, Lenchick said:

it doesn't matter. When you send a petition to bring someone to the US. It  clearly asks about present and previous spouses. You also attach your divorce decrees from previous marriages where there is a court decision clearly states that your divorce is final.

What did you put in i-130 then for your parents? Current marriage? Previous marriage?

There is no option to mention more than two current wives on the DS260 or I-30. Therefore, I have not included my step mother on my Father's applications because there is not an option to do so unless my stepmother  was divorced. That's why my dad will be disclosing this to the embassy during his interview and explain why he did not disclose as I mention here

8 minutes ago, Lenchick said:

How would they be considered single? Are they legally married in your country? Then it means they are married

That is what I would think that my biological mother and father are married and coming to usa as married not Single.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

His wife is the one he married first and who has not died or been divorced.

To put the second wife down would be misrepresentation at best.

You said he was bringing his second wife to the US and representing themselves as being married, aka Polygamy.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 minutes ago, GermanGirlinNYC said:

What happens to his first wife? 

She will stay with my half-brothers back in Pakistan. She does not even want to come to USA even if my father wanted to but that is not the case.

Here is what I think. My father will have to disclose this at the embassy once we pass the NVC review and provide a "Non Objection Certificate" describing that my father's first wife is ok with him living  in US and that she will not and have no intention of moving to USA (because this would be, in my opinion, polygamy to have to two wives PRESENT in US.

Timeline

OK the wife in every Port argument.

That does not work.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, Gulbalo said:

That is what I would think that my biological mother and father are married and coming to usa as married not Single.

you need a good lawyer to ask all those questions. They know if your parents are eligible. I guess not, neither your mother, because she is practicing polygamy too. But I am not a lawyer. So only a lawyer will tell you how to fix it if it is not acceptable for the US immigration law. Please come back and share your experience here.

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

His wife is the one he married first and who has not died or been divorced.

To put the second wife down would be misrepresentation at best.

You said he was bringing his second wife to the US and representing themselves as being married, aka Polygamy.

I understand but here what we should be keeping in mind. I am sponsoring my parents and submitted applications for my mother (not stepmother) and father. Now as I said the intention was not to lie on the application at all rather there was no way to indicate that my father has current two spouses and that's why we are going to be disclosing this information at the embassy. Now if there is a potential for my mother and father to be denied visa, should my father go ahead here soon and divorce his first wife (even though this would not be the first choice to come clean at the embassy)? or what is the right course of action here to make sure every information is provided is legal and that we are not fraudulently invading immigration.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Gulbalo said:

She will stay with my half-brothers back in Pakistan. She does not even want to come to USA even if my father wanted to but that is not the case.

Here is what I think. My father will have to disclose this at the embassy once we pass the NVC review and provide a "Non Objection Certificate" describing that my father's first wife is ok with him living  in US and that she will not and have no intention of moving to USA (because this would be, in my opinion, polygamy to have to two wives PRESENT in US.

Doesn't the Qur’an prescribe that you must deal with both wives on basis of justice and fairness? Meaning treating them equally. So wouldn't him living with only one of them and his first wife being in another country breach that notion? The way I see it, it could result in USCIS assuming that your dad wants to bring his second wife as well and thus practice polygamy in the US. 

17 minutes ago, GermanGirlinNYC said:

Doesn't the Qur’an prescribe that you must deal with both wives on basis of justice and fairness? Meaning treating them equally. So wouldn't him living with only one of them and his first wife being in another country breach that notion? The way I see it, it could result in USCIS assuming that your dad wants to bring his second wife as well and thus practice polygamy in the US. 

You are right that both wives must be treated with justice and fairness and must treated equally but also Islam does not stop you to divorce for whatever reason. Islam gives you the right to divorce for whatever reason you want the divorce.

I am here finding immigration answers to my questions and not into religious debate, however, I don't oppose such debates that help us get know each others' views and beliefs resulting in a healthy society and country and ultimately peaceful co-existence.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Gulbalo said:

You are right that both wives must be treated with justice and fairness and must treated equally but also Islam does not stop you to divorce for whatever reason. Islam gives you the right to divorce for whatever reason you want the divorce.

I am here finding immigration answers to my questions and not into religious debate, however, I don't oppose such debates that help us get know each others' views and beliefs resulting in a healthy society and country and ultimately peaceful co-existence.

Love it. 

But just to clarify: I'm not trying to get into a religious debate either. I'm just trying to say that USCIS might assume there to be a need for your father to LIVE with his wives, which would obviously be a problem for them. So to be proactive you might want to explain how you see it. 

Best of luck.

Timeline

There is only one wife, No 1.

The second does not count.

You can sponsor your father, and your mother, they do not need to be married.

They can both come here, in fact I am pretty sure you can sponsor your step mother.

But they can not come here to practice polygamy.

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

There is only one wife, No 1.

The second does not count.

You can sponsor your father, and your mother, they do not need to be married.

They can both come here, in fact I am pretty sure you can sponsor your step mother.

But they can not come here to practice polygamy.

So you are saying that in accordance with US law, only the first wife is counted as wife NOT my biological mother.

So do you think that VISA for biological mother and father will be rejected and I will have to individual sponsor them again and indicate on their application that they are not married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.