43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 minutes ago, LilyZap said:

Do NOT pay them that extra $410. Send a copy of NOA1 for the I-485 together with the new form. Also send them a print out of the Special Instructions section for the I-485 on the USCIS website where it states about the joint fee. Also send them a print out of the page about the updated forms where it says that the old forms are accepted until Feb 21. 

It sucks when you are the unlucky one that gets a poorly trained IO who messes up like this. It sucks because now they just send you the rejection notice and you can't do anything about it. There is no one to complain to. I tried and they gave me a physical address to write to a supervisor of the Chicago lockbox. They sent my documents back all messed up, wrinkled, scribbled on, without order, stapled together... it was a mess, I cried for hours. So I understand your frustration right now, especially with the stuff that's missing. It could be that they just lost the rest of it. 

Yes I will try to file again to get it for free, second time's a charm? :D 

They sent me back a list of all fees and right next to i-765 it said that the fees are waived if you have successfully filed a i-485, so I will send that list back to them with that sentence highlighted. Will also send the part of the i-485 instructions where it says it should be free. That together with everything else as I didn't even get passport photos or anything back from them, only the "outdated" form and a letter where they request me to send everything including the fee again.. Grr..

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

11 hours ago, LilyZap said:

Do NOT pay them that extra $410. Send a copy of NOA1 for the I-485 together with the new form. Also send them a print out of the Special Instructions section for the I-485 on the USCIS website where it states about the joint fee. Also send them a print out of the page about the updated forms where it says that the old forms are accepted until Feb 21. 

It sucks when you are the unlucky one that gets a poorly trained IO who messes up like this. It sucks because now they just send you the rejection notice and you can't do anything about it. There is no one to complain to. I tried and they gave me a physical address to write to a supervisor of the Chicago lockbox. They sent my documents back all messed up, wrinkled, scribbled on, without order, stapled together... it was a mess, I cried for hours. So I understand your frustration right now, especially with the stuff that's missing. It could be that they just lost the rest of it. 

I know this is a little off topic but I just stumbled across this thread and read that you are talking about the old forms only being accepted until Feb 20th. I'll be submitting my AOS around that time and have already completed the forms so when we get the marriage certificate we just have to update the date on them and then they are good to print out. Are the forms that I've been using then outdated? Where can I find the new ones? 

Also, will be filing for the EAD and Advance of Parole together with the I-485 then still be for free? 

Edited by Californiansunset

Timeline
1 hour ago, Californiansunset said:

I know this is a little off topic but I just stumbled across this thread and read that you are talking about the old forms only being accepted until Feb 20th. I'll be submitting my AOS around that time and have already completed the forms so when we get the marriage certificate we just have to update the date on them and then they are good to print out. Are the forms that I've been using then outdated? Where can I find the new ones? 

Also, will be filing for the EAD and Advance of Parole together with the I-485 then still be for free? 

You should always use the form that is on USCIS webpage at time of filing, so whenever you decide to file you should use the form that is on USCIS webpage at the time. So yes, the form you've already filled in might be outdated by then, dowmload and fil, in a new one when the time comes.

EAD and AP shou,d apparently still be free when filing for AOS.

BUT there are no guarantees in any of this, like you can read from this thread. I filed for EAD at the same time as AOS and used the absolute newest vesion at the time and still had it rejected because of "wrong fee" and "outdated form". 

Hi everyone! Uscis office representative called me today and said that I got rejected since we paid insufficient fee!? We sent our case on December 14th and they received it on December 17th. We paid 1070$ and 420$. Plus they said that they sent us a letter about the rejection on December 29th but we never got that letter (as you can imagine I check our mailbox twice everyday) We went to usps main office today and they couldn't find our letter either. Did we pay the right amount? Because I know that they changed the fees on December 23th. I don't know what to do. I'm really upset and I don't even know how much I should pay since we never got that letter. Can anyone help?

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Fulya said:

Hi everyone! Uscis office representative called me today and said that I got rejected since we paid insufficient fee!? We sent our case on December 14th and they received it on December 17th. We paid 1070$ and 420$. Plus they said that they sent us a letter about the rejection on December 29th but we never got that letter (as you can imagine I check our mailbox twice everyday) We went to usps main office today and they couldn't find our letter either. Did we pay the right amount? Because I know that they changed the fees on December 23th. I don't know what to do. I'm really upset and I don't even know how much I should pay since we never got that letter. Can anyone help?

We can't know if you filed the right fee since you haven't told us what you applied for.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Fulya said:

You should not have had to pay the new fees, since your submission was postmarked and received before Dec. 23rd.

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/our-fees

This chart lists USCIS' fees effective December 23, 2016. Applications and petitions postmarked or filed on or after December 23, 2016, must include these new fees or USCIS will reject your submission. 

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Fulya said:

Sorry! I applied for AOS. So, I filed I-130, I-765, I-485, I-131.

Looks correct to me then. $420 for i-130, $985 for i-485 and $85 for biometrics. But I don't know the rules when you file for i-130, do you still get EAD and AP for free when you file for AOS then? I assume so?

Timeline
5 hours ago, Californiansunset said:

https://www.uscis.gov/fees

Filing fees increased for most forms, and we published updated versions of the forms at uscis.gov/forms. We strongly encourage customers to download and submit these new versions, which are updated with the new fees and have an edition date of 12/23/16. We will accept prior versions of forms, with the exception of Form N-400, until February 21, 2017. However, all filings postmarked December 23, 2016, or later must include the new fees or we will reject them.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Just now, KayDeeCee said:

You should not have had to pay the new fees, since your submission was postmarked and received before Dec. 23rd.

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/our-fees

This chart lists USCIS' fees effective December 23, 2016. Applications and petitions postmarked or filed on or after December 23, 2016, must include these new fees or USCIS will reject your submission. 

What should I do? I didn't even get that rejection notification, USPS doesn't have that letter. USCIS officer insistently said that they sent a letter. I'm really upset. 

Timeline
Just now, Scandi said:

Looks correct to me then. $420 for i-130, $985 for i-485 and $85 for biometrics. But I don't know the rules when you file for i-130, do you still get EAD and AP for free when you file for AOS then? I assume so?

I-130 has nothing to do with the fees being waived. It is about filing them with a pending I-485.

Timeline
Just now, KayDeeCee said:

I-130 has nothing to do with the fees being waived. It is about filing them with a pending I-485.

Yes, so she did send the correct fee, right?

1 minute ago, Scandi said:

Yes it should be free because I read the instructions million times. When you file these forms together, you get EAD and AP for free.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Fulya said:

What should I do? I didn't even get that rejection notification, USPS doesn't have that letter. USCIS officer insistently said that they sent a letter. I'm really upset. 

If it was rejected, then your whole submission should have been returned to you. Call and have your call escalated to a tier 2 immigration officer to discuss your case and situation.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Scandi said:

Yes, so she did send the correct fee, right?

Yes, and before the deadline for the fee increase. They only needed to be postmarked before the 23rd of Dec to avoid paying the new fees.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.