thegreatwm

Looking to get a divorce or annulment from k1 wife. How can I protect myself.

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Eric-Pris said:

So let her stay.  If she wants to be another illegal, why should you care?  You didn't sign a sponsorship form, so she can't get anything from you.  Avoid being with her as much as possible.  If you feel she is capable of false accusations, look at my previous suggestion about cameras.  Yu don't need her permission.  They are SECURITY cameras. 

About it being legal to record... Are we saying that some burglar may object in court of being recorded.  And if it happens to catch her false accusing you, that's just one of those lucky breaks.

Some states are two party consent, not many: California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington both parties must consent to a conversation being recorded

23 minutes ago, Eric-Pris said:

This might sound a bit much, but I would install some hidden cameras around the house with a DVR recording 24/7.  Hell, it's your future, freedom, criminal record, reputation, etc. at stake.

IMO, it's a another case of misaligned expectations.  She thought that she was coming to paradise with money trees, etc.  The reality of America didn't match her expectations.

She didn't scam you for immigration purposes.  She just realized that it's not what she expected.  If she wanted a divorce so she could stay here or she was pushing you to do her AOS right away, then you'd be suspicious.  But when they WANT to go home, it's not fraud.

I disagree. As I mentioned earlier, all of our plans changed the second she arrived. Things we discussed over the 2+ years of being together were null and void as soon as she arrived. We were supposed to be building our life but as soon as she arrived, she was only interesting in building her life. We discussed have kids before she came and she said she couldn't wait to get pregnant. As soon as she got here, she said she wanted to wait several years to get pregnant. She said she would take my name before she came. After we got married, she said she didn't want to take my name. We were intimate before she came. Since she's been here, we have not been intimate or had sex. She said she wanted to wait. Again, we were glorified roommates where I was paying all the bills. If this isn't fraud then I don't know what is.

35 minutes ago, Eric-Pris said:

So let her stay.  If she wants to be another illegal, why should you care?  You didn't sign a sponsorship form, so she can't get anything from you.  Avoid being with her as much as possible.  If you feel she is capable of false accusations, look at my previous suggestion about cameras.  Yu don't need her permission.  They are SECURITY cameras. 

About it being legal to record... Are we saying that some burglar may object in court of being recorded.  And if it happens to catch her false accusing you, that's just one of those lucky breaks.

I will get cameras installed although I don't have any intention of seeing her again. Also, I care because I was the one that was manipulated. I don't even think I could sleep at night knowing that the past 2 years of my life has been a lie. This isn't about revenge, it's about doing what's right.

Edited by Ban Hammer
profanity

39 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

State depending that may not be legal

The simple act of changing the door locks by the home owner is perfectly legal. What will vary by state is whether she has a right to re-enter the house and resume living there.

2 hours ago, thegreatwm said:

I've been reading the forum for the past couple hours and I am now almost 100% sure that she will try to still get AOS through VAWA. Would there be any benefit for me to call the ICE hotline and report fraud? Her visa expired but we got married within 90 days so I'm not sure how that works. Also, I think I can qualify for an annulment based on fraud. We didn't have sex and since she came, all of the household decisions have been to her benefit. Had I known these things before, I would have never married her. Therefore, I feel like I was manipulated and this is fraud. I have not contacted her on her phone since she left and I have no intentions of doing so either.

First, is she past 90 days from her entry? If so, and without AIS filed, she is out of status due to overstay. At which point, you could report it, but the fact that you are still married to her and it's not a significant amount of time that she has overstayed, I wouldn't expect them to take action. But having it on file is definitely to your benefit.

Sorry, but that's not evidence of fraud. I know you feel wronged, but you have not provided any evidence of fraud...only suspicion. Suspicion won't get the authorities involved, nor will it justify an annulment. I'm not saying she hasn't committed fraud - just that you have not provided any evidence of it. When it comes to both legal and immigration matters, evidence is key. In my opinion, it sounds like she either thought things were going to be a lot different in the US, so she's just disappointed and wants to go home, OR maybe she knew somebody else in the US to support her...? I money is on the former since I doubt she would have actually gotten married in the first place if she was there for another reason, but not stayed for at least AOS. If she was trying to defraud you, she really didn't pick a good way/time to doing it.

If she wants to claim DV and make up some story, she can. But without any proof, she honestly won't get far. I know the media makes it seem otherwise, but those types of matters are taken very seriously and false claims are investigated. Either way, it does help to protect yourself. The outdoor security cameras are a good, legal method to help. In-home cameras, in most states, would probably not be permissible and could even get you in trouble. If they were installed while she was there, that's one thing .If you install them in private spaces without her knowledge after she left, then nobody's going to believe it was for security. The public-facing cameras, however, doesn't really matter as she has no reasonable expectation of privacy.

As others stated, don't file AOS, file for divorce, and then do whatever you can to get her back home. Once she's out of the US, she won't be able to get back in without a new visa.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

VAWA is extremely well covered on VJ, plenty of examples where you may think it would not be approved, but it does.

Obviously you need to know how to play the game, and who knows if in this case she does.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Should you ever find yourself in the situation where you feel you want to petition someone else from a foreign country years

from now it is best to have documentation that you did inform USCIS or ICE that she left. Even though they won't do anything

to track her (that may or may not change in the future) you would be a bit less scrutinized with another petition, meaning in regards
to petitioners being payed for giving beneficiaries immigration benefits. You would have proof you informed them because she left.
Whether she committed fraud or just feels like she didn't fit in is not up to anyone to decide,  it is a possibility that she is just very unhappy

and withdrew from you.
That is a call only you can come to grips with.

Sorry that happened and I wish you well.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

5 hours ago, Russ&Caro said:

This would be pretty hard to do. They don't let people who don't have a ticket into the gate area at US airports and unless the departure airport is really small, you have no way to see if she gets on the plane. And, of course, if it's a small airport, chances are it doesn't have direct international flights.

The only conceivable way to do this is to buy yourself a cheapo ticket to somewhere that you don't intend to use to allow you into the gate area. Seems like a lot of hassle.

Technically, I believe most airports do allow a translator (is you) to go with someone with a low grasp of the English language. I've gone back with my husband and his mom and sister on several occasions - and a good thing, too, as it turned out. I just bring my id and ask permission to help out. It takes an extra 15 minutes near the baggage claim gate.

Edited by Daisy.Chain
Grammar

9 hours ago, thegreatwm said:

No I think she intends to stay or else she wouldn't have tried so hard to come. She said all the right things before just so she could be here and from the first week she arrived, everything changed. We've been living like glorified roommates. I don't think it's fair that she can manipulate the system to try to stay here but I feel that this is what will happen.

You should report her missing 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

One post above is rather harsh toward another poster.  Please ensure that posts deal with the OP's situation and aren't directed against another participant.

---

[Moderator hat off]

OP, collect whatever hard evidence you have, set an InfoPass appointment, and be sure to speak with the FDNS officer.  Get something on file, and retain the officer's name plus details of the visit in your permanent records.  Do this sooner rather than later.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

All Immigrants think that in the US the streets are paved with gold.  But they get here and quickly learn three things:  1.  The streets aren't paved with gold.  2.  The streets need paving.  3.  They're the ones that will be paving them.

I have a few questions:  If she just walked out on you, where did she go?  Does she know someone here?  Does she know someone she can live with?  Did you have the money necessary to survive on her own?  

I would be very suspicious of her real intentions.  Did she already have someone here and just used you for a Visa and plane fare?  Did she have the opportunity to meet someone else that quickly? 

I once did a K-1 for a Nigerian woman and she was nothing but trouble, but she wasn't as bad as this one sounds.  I ended up getting my ex-wife to join the Army.  That move worked out for us both.

Sorry about your troubles, try to work through the problem.  

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, thegreatwm said:

Well I guess the whole walking out thing was a bluff. She was just around the corner still with her bags packed. She's back home now with me because I can't just leave her out there like that. I'll see what happens.

Best of luck to you both

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.