DrEllaNJ

is it legal to ask for Alien registration number in job application?

34 posts in this topic

hi all, I'm working on a job application through an online system for a big employer. The standard form asks whether the applicant is eligible to work in the US, which I've seen countless times before. Then it also asks for A-registration number. I have a GC so I have this number, but I feel uncomfortable giving it out. Is it even legal to ask for this information? Mind you, it's just an application, I haven't even gotten an interview yet.

I don't want to have my app rejected outright, but I'm also reluctant to give out such personal numbers that go to who knows what people. You'd never see an application that asks for your SSN, either. Thoughts?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, DrEllaNJ said:

hi all, I'm working on a job application through an online system for a big employer. The standard form asks whether the applicant is eligible to work in the US, which I've seen countless times before. Then it also asks for A-registration number. I have a GC so I have this number, but I feel uncomfortable giving it out. Is it even legal to ask for this information? Mind you, it's just an application, I haven't even gotten an interview yet.

I don't want to have my app rejected outright, but I'm also reluctant to give out such personal numbers that go to who knows what people. You'd never see an application that asks for your SSN, either. Thoughts?

I'm unsure, but I've seen a great deal of applications that ask for an SSN.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Standard applications ask for SSN #'s, its just how it is.

If you provide the SSN, do not know if you need to even provide the A #.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

actually, someone told me recently that HR had informed them that certain candidates the department had interviewed should not be considered because of "bad credit". That surprised me, although I guess it makes some sense if the position involves money.

I've never seen a job app form that asks for SSN, could be dependent on field. I just wonder if that info stays in confidential files with HR or if it's in big bold numbers on every app forwarded to the hiring department...

Edited by DrEllaNJ

Timeline
Just now, DrEllaNJ said:

actually, someone told me recently that HR had informed them that certain candidates the department had interviewed should not be considered because of "bad credit". That surprised me, although I guess it makes some sense if the position involves actually, someone told me recently that HR had informed them that certain candidates the department had interviewed should not be considered because of "bad credit". That surprised me, although I guess it makes some sense if the position involves money that makes sense.

I've never seen a job app form that asks for SSN, could be dependent on field. I just wonder if that info stays in confidential files with HR or if it's in big bold numbers on every app forwarded to the hiring department...

From working previously in HR, this is standard too.  You'll find it often in retail, loss prevention, and management positions.  

Just now, Transborderwife said:

From working previously in HR, this is standard too.  You'll find it often in retail, loss prevention, and management positions.  

Could you shed some light on what happens with those numbers, from HR point of view? Who has access to these numbers? (concerns about identity theft, etc...)

Timeline
Just now, DrEllaNJ said:

Could you shed some light on what happens with those numbers, from HR point of view? Who has access to these numbers? (concerns about identity theft, etc...)

I was speaking about the credit issue.  However in regards to SSN's, if it's anything like SIN's in Canada, those fields are usually blacked out on standard forms.  However anyone who would see hose fields have signed iron clad confidentiality agreements and documents are password protected or Locked up in cabinets.

Just now, Transborderwife said:

I was speaking about the credit issue.  However in regards to SSN's, if it's anything like SIN's in Canada, those fields are usually blacked out on standard forms.  However anyone who would see hose fields have signed iron clad confidentiality agreements and documents are password protected or Locked up in cabinets.

I know but I want my A-number treated the same way!

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
5 minutes ago, DrEllaNJ said:

actually, someone told me recently that HR had informed them that certain candidates the department had interviewed should not be considered because of "bad credit". That surprised me, although I guess it makes some sense if the position involves money.

I've never seen a job application that didn't require you to enter your SSN--that's a standard request. And credit checks are pretty standard for a lot of jobs, even if you won't ever handle money, since they can go to your general reliability (fair or not).

My guess on the alien registration number is that you're being asked to provide it so that they can double-check that you are, in fact, authorized to work in the U.S.

Filed: Timeline
7 minutes ago, Will_and_Tu said:

My guess on the alien registration number is that you're being asked to provide it so that they can double-check that you are, in fact, authorized to work in the U.S.

That's an illegal practice. e-verification can only be performed when an offer of employment has been made (the I-9 form itself that HR will use to check employment eligibility specifically states this).

I wouldn't be telling a potential employer anything other than answering "yes" to "are you currently authorized to work in the US".

Edited by Brit1

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Brit1 said:

That's an illegal practice. e-verification can only be performed when an offer of employment has been made (the I-9 form itself that HR will use to check employment eligibility specifically states this).

I wouldn't be telling a potential employer anything other than answering "yes" to "are you currently authorized to work in the US".

The verification ahead of time is illegal. The gathering of different information in order to perform that verification is not. It's still my guess as to why that information is being sought.

Filed: Timeline
1 minute ago, Will_and_Tu said:

The verification ahead of time is illegal. The gathering of different information in order to perform that verification is not. It's still my guess as to why that information is being sought.

A seedy employer could also use this information to, for example, tailor a salary to a specific person (i.e. if they know someone is not a citizen, they might offer a lower starting salary). Either way, again, it's not information I'd be giving out!

Timeline
Just now, Brit1 said:

A seedy employer could also use this information to, for example, tailor a salary to a specific person (i.e. if they know someone is not a citizen, they might offer a lower starting salary). Either way, again, it's not information I'd be giving out!

I believe that you can just put 0s in to get past those fields

Yeah. I don't think my social has ever been run before hand, but they always ask for it on the applications. They probably pass over anyone who doesn't provide the required information or the "basic" stuff. But any time that I've been hired, I've had to sign a form allowing them to run my social. I'd imagine it's the same with the A# and why they ask for it before hand.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

I believe that you can just put 0s in to get past those fields

Probably.

But if you also distrust a potential employer to the degree that you aren't even comfortable filling out their applications, I'd reevaluate the act of applying altogether. And if you do enter something like that to get past a mandatory field, chances are it's going to result in your application being discarded during the initial review, in which case you (again) might as well just skip applying to that institution in the first place.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.