synthrian

Question on name in DS-260 form

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

We've just submitted our i-130, and I have started the process of having my national ID and passport updated with my married name.

Here in Singapore, the maiden name is not replaced, but rather the married name is inserted. So my name will appear as:

<maiden name>

Mrs <married name>

I was looking at the DS-260 form and it says in the Personal Information section that all data has to match my passport exactly. 

There is a blank for all surnames listed, another blank for all given names, and then a separate space for other names used.

My question is - in my case, since both names are listed on my passport, would I have to list both sets of surnames in the first blank, or could I get away with only listing my married surname there, and then having my maiden name in the designated "other names used" box? This question is really trivial, I know, but I would hate to trip up on a technicality like this!

Any insight would be appreciated, thank you!

let say my maiden name is ERVIE MENDEZ CO when I get Married it became ERVIE CO CHUA. I did list my name at i130 as to my married name. In the other names I put my entire maiden name.

Not sure if that;s the case for Singaporean or did u mean it would be like ERVIE MENDEZ CO CHUA. Then that I dont know how it should be then.

I didn't opt for a hyphenated surname, so there are literally 2 names on my ID. 

SARAH MAIDENSURNAME and MRS SARAH MARRIEDSURNAME

Yeah, i-130 wasn't a problem. I did the same as you, but I'm just wondering if the ds-260 will be any different since they want the info to match the ID exactly. Thanks for your input! :)

Visa comes in passport name, green card in visa name.  So however you want your name to look on the green card, if you can get your passport to look like you want your green card to look, thats ideal but may not happen.  

Thanks for replying. Yeah, I figured it would be like that, but wasn't quite sure what the requirement would be if a person has 2 names listed on their passport. I might have to just call the NVC/consulate and ask when the time comes!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.