jgschuck

K1 Visa I-129F Packet Concerns/Questions

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello,

My fiance and I are currently putting together our packet for the K1 I-129F petition. I am a USA citizen filing to bring him here from Brazil.

I just was wondering how in depth should the packet be? Should I only include what the government website asks? Or should I do more?

I have been looking at youtube examples and everyone that shows there "approved" package has a huge binder filled with tons of stuff with slip covers for each page.

IE: pages and pages of texts, pages of photos with detailed lengthy descriptions of every picture (they only ask for up to 5), itinerary for every single trip, and cover letters for every single section.

An example of a youtube example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2DqliPxd7E

These videos scare me because I was just planning on using a hard, cardboard backing with a 2 hole punch at the top and putting all my pages on that with an ACCO fastener holding it all together.

what I will use: (http://tinypic.com/r/5laqyv/9)

But it seems everyone I've seen is using binders with the plastic slip covers. We are also doing exactly what the governments website says, no more no less.

I'm very nervous we will mess this up. Can someone help calm me down and let me know if it is better to do more, or if I am fine. and what type of way should I put together these documents? Are we doing it correctly? I am really nervous it will be done wrong.

thank you all to help in advance!

Timeline

One other quick question:

after the sincerely on each page where I need to sign, I have it as Sincerly, *signature*, *printed name*

I did not type my name at all, its just a signature and then my name printed. will that be okay?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think USCIS cares exactly about how it's received as what's included in the documents.  I didn't put mine in any binder/etc.  I just had it all in a stack sorted as my cover letter had listed.  

And the singing/printing of your name should be fine :) 

Good luck! :)

K1 Visa
08/15/14 - Filed
08/25/14 - Acceptance email sent
08/26/14 - Alien Registration Number changed.
10/17/14 RFE was received
10/23/14 RFE/I-195F mailed back to USCIS
11/05/14 I-129F Petition Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!
12/10/14 U.S. Consulate received case in the mail!!
12/19/14 Submitted DS-160 online form.
01/15/15 Submitted Package 3 Checklist for a request for interview!
01/16/15 Consulate sent me packet to prepare for my interview/medical!
02/20/15 Physical
02/24/15 Visa Interview/APPROVED!!!!!!! (6 months!!)

AOS

05/16/15 - Filed for Adjustment of Status and Work Permit

05/22/15 - Acceptance email sent along with NOA’s mailed.

06/16/15 Biometrics Appointment
1/22/2016: INTERVIEW!!/APPROVED!!!
2/2016: Received GREEN CARD!!! (8 months)

I-751 - ROC

11/1/2016: Filed

11/3/2016: NOA

11/19/2016: NOA 2

12/06/2016 Biometrics Appointment

1/17/2018: Info Pass - Passport Stamped

5/31/2018: Emailed received that GC is being mailed. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Fancy colored binders don't help and are not required.

Just make sure to sign everything you send. Included 2 signed letters of intent to marry.

You can attach a tab for say (divorces), (Travel Visits), things of that nature just a simple tab so things don't get missed when they have to look for required documents.

I'm familiar with Rose from youtube and Facebook you don't have to be all fancy like she was. The content is more important.

Good luck.

Don't forget new fee and new form I-129F

Jim

10/29/16....I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX
10/31/16....Delivered at Dallas Lock Box - per USPS

11/02/16....NOA1 Date on Hard Copy Notice
11/03/16....NOA1 Text and Email. Case sent to CSC
11/07/16....NOA1 Hard Copy Received

xx/xx/xx....NOA2 Text and Email

Timeline
2 minutes ago, JimJesDuma said:

Fancy colored binders don't help and are not required.

Just make sure to sign everything you send. Included 2 signed letters of intent to marry.

You can attach a tab for say (divorces), (Travel Visits), things of that nature just a simple tab so things don't get missed when they have to look for required documents.

I'm familiar with Rose from youtube and Facebook you don't have to be all fancy like she was. The content is more important.

Good luck.

Don't forget new fee and new form I-129F

Jim

Awesome! thanks for your help. Just a few other very simple questions, if you are able to help out by any chance.

• do the passport pictures need to be signed on the back? Or just labeld "Photo of _*name*" ?
  • will we be looked down upon if we include more than say, 10 pictures?
  • are text screenshots important to include?
  • does my entire passport need to be scanned? meaning - every single page?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

All those fancy binders and folders will be tossed right in the garbage. Save your money. Simply stack all the papers and documents and slide them into a large envelope and mail.  Use paper clips if you need.  

I would print the name under the signature but that's me and my office background. 

Unless  you are working with a difficult embassy and/or there are red flags there's no need to go overboard with front loading. Lengthy descriptions on photos are not necessary simply put the names the date and the place.   Please remember that adjudicators look at hundreds of packets.  They are very busy. Bogging them down with a bunch of unnecessary life story does not ensure approval. In fact I very rarely see anyone not be successful in getting approved. As long as u give them all they need you'll be fine. Sometimes less is more

Edited by LionessDeon

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
7 minutes ago, jgschuck said:

Awesome! thanks for your help. Just a few other very simple questions, if you are able to help out by any chance.

• do the passport pictures need to be signed on the back? Or just labeld "Photo of _*name*" ?

No signature needed on back of passport pics. Just label a ziplock bag and drop it in. 

A few photos is fine. 10+ a bit much. We sent 4.  

They recommend keeping a copy of the packet for your own personal use you can choose to do that however you wish by scanning or photocopy.  Items you can easily reaccess you don't have to worry about keeping a copy for yourself. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 minutes ago, jgschuck said:

they want your name on the back in case they fall/flutter to the ground they can easily go back to your file.

You will not be looked down upon for giving more than 10 photos but that should be plenty. Key to photos. the more changes of close you are wearing shows you were in theory together for more than a day or two.

If you wear same shirt in every photo they may wonder how long you were actually together. There is no requirement other than 2 have meet in person in the last 2 years it does not say how long you actually had to be together but it doesn't hurt. Also at embassy level photos together with family members is nice to establish genuine relationship.

I've heard text and emails dont' help much as they can be forged even photos can for that matter but I still sent both.

Yes it says send every page even if blank

Good luck

Jim

10/29/16....I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX
10/31/16....Delivered at Dallas Lock Box - per USPS

11/02/16....NOA1 Date on Hard Copy Notice
11/03/16....NOA1 Text and Email. Case sent to CSC
11/07/16....NOA1 Hard Copy Received

xx/xx/xx....NOA2 Text and Email

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi jgschuck,

I just wanted to share that if your fiance is coming from a country that has a higher denial rate (you can look up statistics) and/or if you have any 'red flags' in your relationship such as age differences, differences in religion, few vacation time together or whatever the case may be, you may want to 'front load' your application with extra details that support the case for your relationship. This is not for USCIS, but for the embassy review.

I found one person online called the VisaCoach, or something similar, who talked about this issue of 'front-loading'.  You could look into and see if you want to go in that direction.  I feel it is better to over rather than under-document, to alleviate any questions prior to getting to the interview stage.

We 'front loaded' our application with lots of information, because my fiance is from a country with a higher denial rate, we've been solely long-distance with only 2 vacations together, etc. USCIS will look for what is required, and nothing more; however, the embassy will review this packet in full; so it is good to front load in certain cases, such as ours.

Best luck to you all!!

Here is what we provided (from our cover letter on the I-129F):

- Payment in the amount of $340.00 (check #XYZ)

- G-1145 (e-Notification of Application/Petition acceptance) – 1 Page

- I-129F (Petition for K-1 Fiancé Visa) – 6 Pages

o    I-129F Attachment, with explanations on the following questions – 9 Pages:

§  Part 1: XYZ

§  Part 2: 34.a Explanation of Meeting in Person

§  Proof of XYZ

- G-325A and passport-style photo (Petitioner) – 1 Page

- G-325A and passport-style photo (Beneficiary) – 1 Page

- Birth Certificate (Petitioner) – 3 Pages

- U.S. Passport with stamps to/from Vacation/Travel visa (Petitioner) – 8 Pages

- Letters of intent to marry (Petitioner & Beneficiary)

- Proof of having met in person in the past two years

o    23 vacation photos

o    Plane boarding passes, vacation receipts with photos, apartment rental (Airbnb) – 14 Pages

o    Travel itineraries (Petitioner and Beneficiary); Airbnb confirmation receipt – 6 Pages

o    Passport pages showing visa stamps (Beneficiary) – 4 Page

- Proof of wedding plans – 24 Pages

o    Evidence of wedding plans: wedding officiant contract/deposit/emails, emails with caterer, rental quotes, reception invitation sample

- Additional proof of relationship (including ongoing relationship)

o    Confirmed tickets for upcoming vacation together; invitation letter, receipt from visa service, visa stamp for vacation; engagement ring receipt, Proof of Income – 7 Pages

o    Correspondence samples (email, Skype, Facebook) – 62 Pages

o    17 Photos taken during Skype sessions, including family & friends

7/16/2015: First communication online                     1/23/2017: Visa Received
4/24/2016: Got Engaged! (L)                                      2/1/2017: Entry into USA           
6/10/2016: Filed I-129F petition                                   3/4/2017: Got Married! (L)

6/18/2016: I-129F NOA1                                                4/10/2017: Filed AOS (I-485), EAD, AP

8/18/2016: I-129F NOA2                                                8/4/2017: Approved EAD with AP received

9/5/2016: NVC Received                                               11/8/2017: AOS Approved

9/15/2016: Consulate Received                                   11/16/2017: Green Card Received

11/28/2016: Interview Date - Approved!!

Timeline
16 minutes ago, khtak716 said:

Hi jgschuck,

I just wanted to share that if your fiance is coming from a country that has a higher denial rate (you can look up statistics) and/or if you have any 'red flags' in your relationship such as age differences, differences in religion, few vacation time together or whatever the case may be, you may want to 'front load' your application with extra details that support the case for your relationship. This is not for USCIS, but for the embassy review.

I found one person online called the VisaCoach, or something similar, who talked about this issue of 'front-loading'.  You could look into and see if you want to go in that direction.  I feel it is better to over rather than under-document, to alleviate any questions prior to getting to the interview stage.

We 'front loaded' our application with lots of information, because my fiance is from a country with a higher denial rate, we've been solely long-distance with only 2 vacations together, etc. USCIS will look for what is required, and nothing more; however, the embassy will review this packet in full; so it is good to front load in certain cases, such as ours.

Best luck to you all!!

Here is what we provided (from our cover letter on the I-129F):

- Payment in the amount of $340.00 (check #XYZ)

- G-1145 (e-Notification of Application/Petition acceptance) – 1 Page

- I-129F (Petition for K-1 Fiancé Visa) – 6 Pages

o    I-129F Attachment, with explanations on the following questions – 9 Pages:

§  Part 1: XYZ

§  Part 2: 34.a Explanation of Meeting in Person

§  Proof of XYZ

- G-325A and passport-style photo (Petitioner) – 1 Page

- G-325A and passport-style photo (Beneficiary) – 1 Page

- Birth Certificate (Petitioner) – 3 Pages

- U.S. Passport with stamps to/from Vacation/Travel visa (Petitioner) – 8 Pages

- Letters of intent to marry (Petitioner & Beneficiary)

- Proof of having met in person in the past two years

o    23 vacation photos

o    Plane boarding passes, vacation receipts with photos, apartment rental (Airbnb) – 14 Pages

o    Travel itineraries (Petitioner and Beneficiary); Airbnb confirmation receipt – 6 Pages

o    Passport pages showing visa stamps (Beneficiary) – 4 Page

- Proof of wedding plans – 24 Pages

o    Evidence of wedding plans: wedding officiant contract/deposit/emails, emails with caterer, rental quotes, reception invitation sample

- Additional proof of relationship (including ongoing relationship)

o    Confirmed tickets for upcoming vacation together; invitation letter, receipt from visa service, visa stamp for vacation; engagement ring receipt, Proof of Income – 7 Pages

o    Correspondence samples (email, Skype, Facebook) – 62 Pages

o    17 Photos taken during Skype sessions, including family & friends

Thank you so much for this information!

Do you know of any sites that you could reccomend for the statistics on what yuo explained?

Also for your scanned passport from the petitioner, did it include all of the blank pages. my US passport is 28 pages, but I only have information on the first 8 pages. So i am not to sure what to do there.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi jgschuck,

I found a map of what the US considers high fraud countries for visas (K1/K3):  http://mypathtocitizenship.com/which-countries-are-on-the-uscis-high-fraud-list/

Pretty much if you aren't from Europe, Australia, Canada, etc... you're country may be on that list.  Check out the embassy's page for Brazil.  Ours had this lovely fraud warning on it:  https://algiers.usembassy.gov/marriage_fraud.html

Also, if your country is one with a high denial rate of travel visas or that require a visa at all to come to the US, you will be under greater scrutiny.

I did a lot of searching on YouTube and I found this one on front loading: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdsYFykFAo4.  To note, I did not use his services and am not promoting this particular person, because I fully believe we are all capable of putting these packages together ourselves.  But this was one that helped me realize that I needed to front load my packet.

You can do a Google search on 'front load K1 visa petition' to find lots of sites talking about it.  The main thing is the be very good at documenting, filling out the forms, signing them, explaining any details that need further explanation in Attachments.  You can get Requests for Evidence (RFEs) for missing things and not filling in things completely, which delay your case, so just taking the time on getting the petition completed to the best of your ability and proofreading it is most important.

I also was selective in what content I shared.  I copied screenshots, Skype shots of me with my fiance and his family/friends, with conversations about us that showed we were a real couple. I wrote details about each screenshot. I took several weekends to compile this.  I know I went overboard, but in my case, we wanted to circumvent any flags.  My fiance had a very successful interview as a result of that front-loading, I believe.  We also provided a ton more info in our 2nd packet, that he brought to the embassy, to show a continuing relationship and extra financial details that the minimum. 

As for your other question on the passport - scanned all pages, inserted them into a word file and decreased the size of the pages that were blank; only making the biometrics page and any pages with stamps from our vacations bigger (for readability).  This brought it down to 8 pages.  You want to show the whole thing so there is no doubt that all the pages come for the passport you are presenting.  If I'm remembering correctly, for the petition, you have to show the US Passport as a requirement, so make sure all pages can be read easily.  I also provided my fiance's passport, to show the stamps for our vacation in another country; so that one I got down to 4 pages (making blank pages smaller than on mine) - you can work with it.

You will need a LOT of ink for this process, especially if you front load and put pictures/screenshots in documents.  I also included physical photos.  If you don't have a home printer with a scanner, you might want to get one :)

Oh, and we did sign all the forms.  Be sure to use black, not blue, ink.  Also, I used to live in Colombia, and if Brazil is similar, it can be very costly to send mail; you must use FedEx/UPS/DHL or some other courier service to ensure mail arrives.  You will need 'wet' signatures on the Proof of Intent to Marry and the G-325A from your fiance.

For some of your other questions:

• I wrote in pencil on the back of mine my name, my fiance's name, anyone else's name in the photos (if you have many people you can say 'fiance's family, friends, etc.) and the location we were at (country, city, sometimes location like restaurant, airbnb, Vacation in Country, etc.).  I did this because of some research that said to do it or suggested it (sorry I don't remember).
    • Not at all.  The VisaCoach guy gives recommendations on the types of photos to take - happy, showing background scenery, family, places visited, wearing different clothing/taken on different days/different places - if you had the date embedded on the photo, that is good, but if not, be sure to add it to the back).  I also included many photos in the screenshots/posts from FB, IMs, etc.
    • Oh yes.  I think you want to ensure  you show a pattern of how much you communicate, how public your relationship is.  If you are front-loading a petition because your country is considered high fraud, I suggest showing things that indicate your fiance's friends and family (and yours) know about you two; how you communicate, how often, the quality of communications.
    • Yes; as above, scan and reduce the size to get each page into a Word file - make sure biometrics and passport stamps for travel are easy to read.

Best luck to you and if you have any questions, feel free to contact me.  I can only speak to what I've researched and done, but I'd be happy to let you know what I did, in our case. :)

7/16/2015: First communication online                     1/23/2017: Visa Received
4/24/2016: Got Engaged! (L)                                      2/1/2017: Entry into USA           
6/10/2016: Filed I-129F petition                                   3/4/2017: Got Married! (L)

6/18/2016: I-129F NOA1                                                4/10/2017: Filed AOS (I-485), EAD, AP

8/18/2016: I-129F NOA2                                                8/4/2017: Approved EAD with AP received

9/5/2016: NVC Received                                               11/8/2017: AOS Approved

9/15/2016: Consulate Received                                   11/16/2017: Green Card Received

11/28/2016: Interview Date - Approved!!

Timeline
11 hours ago, khtak716 said:

Hi jgschuck,

I found a map of what the US considers high fraud countries for visas (K1/K3):  http://mypathtocitizenship.com/which-countries-are-on-the-uscis-high-fraud-list/

Pretty much if you aren't from Europe, Australia, Canada, etc... you're country may be on that list.  Check out the embassy's page for Brazil.  Ours had this lovely fraud warning on it:  https://algiers.usembassy.gov/marriage_fraud.html

Also, if your country is one with a high denial rate of travel visas or that require a visa at all to come to the US, you will be under greater scrutiny.

I did a lot of searching on YouTube and I found this one on front loading: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdsYFykFAo4.  To note, I did not use his services and am not promoting this particular person, because I fully believe we are all capable of putting these packages together ourselves.  But this was one that helped me realize that I needed to front load my packet.

You can do a Google search on 'front load K1 visa petition' to find lots of sites talking about it.  The main thing is the be very good at documenting, filling out the forms, signing them, explaining any details that need further explanation in Attachments.  You can get Requests for Evidence (RFEs) for missing things and not filling in things completely, which delay your case, so just taking the time on getting the petition completed to the best of your ability and proofreading it is most important.

I also was selective in what content I shared.  I copied screenshots, Skype shots of me with my fiance and his family/friends, with conversations about us that showed we were a real couple. I wrote details about each screenshot. I took several weekends to compile this.  I know I went overboard, but in my case, we wanted to circumvent any flags.  My fiance had a very successful interview as a result of that front-loading, I believe.  We also provided a ton more info in our 2nd packet, that he brought to the embassy, to show a continuing relationship and extra financial details that the minimum. 

As for your other question on the passport - scanned all pages, inserted them into a word file and decreased the size of the pages that were blank; only making the biometrics page and any pages with stamps from our vacations bigger (for readability).  This brought it down to 8 pages.  You want to show the whole thing so there is no doubt that all the pages come for the passport you are presenting.  If I'm remembering correctly, for the petition, you have to show the US Passport as a requirement, so make sure all pages can be read easily.  I also provided my fiance's passport, to show the stamps for our vacation in another country; so that one I got down to 4 pages (making blank pages smaller than on mine) - you can work with it.

You will need a LOT of ink for this process, especially if you front load and put pictures/screenshots in documents.  I also included physical photos.  If you don't have a home printer with a scanner, you might want to get one :)

Oh, and we did sign all the forms.  Be sure to use black, not blue, ink.  Also, I used to live in Colombia, and if Brazil is similar, it can be very costly to send mail; you must use FedEx/UPS/DHL or some other courier service to ensure mail arrives.  You will need 'wet' signatures on the Proof of Intent to Marry and the G-325A from your fiance.

For some of your other questions:

• I wrote in pencil on the back of mine my name, my fiance's name, anyone else's name in the photos (if you have many people you can say 'fiance's family, friends, etc.) and the location we were at (country, city, sometimes location like restaurant, airbnb, Vacation in Country, etc.).  I did this because of some research that said to do it or suggested it (sorry I don't remember).
    • Not at all.  The VisaCoach guy gives recommendations on the types of photos to take - happy, showing background scenery, family, places visited, wearing different clothing/taken on different days/different places - if you had the date embedded on the photo, that is good, but if not, be sure to add it to the back).  I also included many photos in the screenshots/posts from FB, IMs, etc.
    • Oh yes.  I think you want to ensure  you show a pattern of how much you communicate, how public your relationship is.  If you are front-loading a petition because your country is considered high fraud, I suggest showing things that indicate your fiance's friends and family (and yours) know about you two; how you communicate, how often, the quality of communications.
    • Yes; as above, scan and reduce the size to get each page into a Word file - make sure biometrics and passport stamps for travel are easy to read.

Best luck to you and if you have any questions, feel free to contact me.  I can only speak to what I've researched and done, but I'd be happy to let you know what I did, in our case. :)

thank you very much!

One other quick question when including letters sent back and fourth, can i tamper with them? On one I feel it is a great letter! But there was a joke made that I feel is not appropriate for this serious time. Is it okay to cross it out? Or would you say leave it, or just not use it at all.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
30 minutes ago, jgschuck said:

thank you very much!

One other quick question when including letters sent back and fourth, can i tamper with them? On one I feel it is a great letter! But there was a joke made that I feel is not appropriate for this serious time. Is it okay to cross it out? Or would you say leave it, or just not use it at all.

In our packet, I included photos, e-mails, and text conversations. I redacted a few lines here and there that I felt were inappropriate (i.e., too personal) for the CO to see, and we had no issues. I think the whole point of these materials is really to establish the length and reality of the relationship, not to provide an uncensored peek into all of your private conversations. Removing some personal information will be fine.

1 hour ago, jgschuck said:

thank you very much!

Redacting (white-out/black-out) certain information should be fine within reason.

No, do not tamper with anything! That is a misrepresentation of the information. Misrepresentation is a very serious offense. You can't remove lines in the middle of a conversation, or change any lines anywhere...just redact them.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
34 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Redacting (white-out/black-out) certain information should be fine within reason.

No, do not tamper with anything! That is a misrepresentation of the information. Misrepresentation is a very serious offense. You can't remove lines in the middle of a conversation, or change any lines anywhere...just redact them.

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it,

one other question if you would be able to help. My fiance in Brazil is the one that proposed to me. But we are petitioning to bring him here. Does that look sketchy? Should I say that I proposed or should I be mutual and just say things such as "We became engaged"?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.