D&Wontheroad

I-751 - Travel abroad when Conditional Permanent Resident is Expired, I-751 is still processing

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi team!

Does anyone have any experience with traveling abroad while they are processing the removal of conditions and the current permanent resident card w/ conditions has (or will be) expired. Doing my research and bringing my current (expired) card + the letter notice of extension + a I-551 stamp should do the trick, but wondering if anyone has any experience .

I travel frequently outside the US - for work and leisure, but did get a little worried once I saw the processing times. Based on the information I find, as long as I take the expired card, stamp AND the letter I should be fine. But would love to hear any experiences from people who are/have been in the same boat.

My card expires end of January - and my next travel to Europe will be in March. I751 was sent in back in November, Bio taken in December, now just waiting :)

Any feedback/experiences will be appreciated :)

Thanks team!

K1

18th Nov 2013 - Mailed K-1 visa application

22th Nov 2013 - Received NOA1 (with official receipt date of 20th Nov 2013 on the petition) from TSC

3rd March 2014 - Received NOA2 through email notification (101 days after NOA1)

10th March 2014 - Received hardcopy NOA2

12th March 2014 - Case shipped from TSC to NVC, notification through email

21st March 2014 - Received Case number from NVC after calling them

24th March 2014 - Case shipped to Amsterdam Consulate "in transit"

26th March 2014 - Case status changed to arrived "Ready"

26th March 2014 - Received packet 3 through mail, after contacting them through email

27th March 2014 - Returned Packet 3

3rd of April2014 - Received Packet 4 via post with interview data ( they dont give this information through email)

11th of April 2014 - Medical appointment

24th of April 2014 - Interview date - APPROVED!

2nd of May 2014 - Received Passport back in the mail

19th of May 2014 - MOVED! POE Atlanta - Never been faster through customs, no lines and it took the officer about 10 minutes to process my papers. Very friendly.

June 10th 2014 - Applied for SSN - They could not find me in the system yet, but the lady was very friendly and said she would process it later and call me in case she needed any more information or would foresee any delay past 2 weeks she would call me.

June 16th 2014 - Received my SSN

June 16th 2014 - Got our marriage licence - Although they said I did not need a SSN in case I had not received it yet. We called ahead.

June 27th 2014- Got Married!

Adjustment of Status

July 23rd 2014 - Applied for Adjustment of Status (Inc EAD / AP)

August 8th 2014 - NOA1

August 11th 2014 - Requested Expedite processing on AP

August 18th 2014 - Received appointment letter Biometrics Appointment

August 19th 2014 - Expedite request completed - AP approved and produced

August 28th 2014 - Biometics appointment

October 2014 - AoS Approved

January 29th 2015 - Green Card Received

Lifting Conditions

November 4th - Applied for Removal of Conditions

November 16th - NOA1

December 6th - Biometrics Appointment

Waiting....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If the letter is still valid, you shouldn't even need the stamp.  

As I understand things, the stamp is what one gets when the I751 is still pending and the extension letter is about to expire.

Good luck!

Edited by SM & EF

07/31/05 First met in Ft Lauderdale

06/26/13 DOMA overturned

07/16/13 Married in Rockville, Maryland

08/22/13 Day 0 Mailed AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox (I-130, I-485, I-765)

11/20/13 Day 90 AOS Interview completed - Approved!

09/01/15 Day 740 I-751 Mailed ROC packet to California Service Center

04/08/16 Day 960 I-751 RFE received - need to provide more evidence of financial commingling

05/03/16 Day 985 RFE response sent

06/07/16 Day 1020 I-751 approval notice received

06/16/16 Day 1029 10-year greencard received

11/16/16 Day 1182 Mailed N-400 citizenship application

08/21/17 Day 1460 Received alert that naturalization interview was scheduled

09/28/17 Day 1498 N-400 interview completed - Approved!

10/20/17 Day 1520 Oath ceremony finished - now a US Citizen

I'm curious about the same thing, with a twist.  My I-751 includes a name change.  I'll take my letter and my marriage certificate of course.  While I'm not so worried about border crossings (I also travel to Canada a few times a year), I'm curious about re-entry after a cruise.  Would the agents there be familiar with the letters?

I traveled via Heathrow with an ROC extension letter. No problems at all although I had to point out the extension bit in the letter to the checkin person who had probably not seen one before. I also had my expired GC.

Edited by rjm_cmyk

Richard

event.png

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Conditional Green Card expires Jan 28, 2017.  We filed I-751 for my wife on December 6, 2016, it was received December 12, 2016.  Today January 13, 2017 had appointment for Biometrics.  When will USCIS send "Extension Letter" so we may travel out of the county?

On 1/13/2017 at 2:00 PM, ArroyM said:

Conditional Green Card expires Jan 28, 2017.  We filed I-751 for my wife on December 6, 2016, it was received December 12, 2016.  Today January 13, 2017 had appointment for Biometrics.  When will USCIS send "Extension Letter" so we may travel out of the county?

The first letter you get from them after you've submitted is the extension letter which will have a heading of I-797 Notice of Action. The one that tells you , you will be getting subsequent letter about the biometrics. That very first response is the extension letter. Hope you've still got it. If you never got it (and just got the biometrics appt letter) then you need to call them.

Richard

event.png

event.png

i will travel on march 15 2017 until april 1..but my extension letter in until May 2,2017.Do i need to get 1551 stamp before i leave the US.Pls i need your reply because i am worried.thank you

9 minutes ago, jolyn69 said:

i will travel on march 15 2017 until april 1..but my extension letter in until May 2,2017.Do i need to get 1551 stamp before i leave the US.Pls i need your reply because i am worried.thank you

No you do not need the stamp as your extension letter is valid for the entire length of your travel.

I have heard stories on here where people have had issues when they have arrived in the US with both valid extension letter and a stamp.

2 hours ago, TYorke1 said:

No you do not need the stamp as your extension letter is valid for the entire length of your travel.

I have heard stories on here where people have had issues when they have arrived in the US with both valid extension letter and a stamp.

thank you so much TYorke1 .now i relieved  because that is my worries that i get some issues when i get back here in US

hello .I will be flying to the philippines too in May with my expired green + letter of extension, I wonder if the airline/ check in counter staff are also familiar with dealing expired green card+ letter of extension. BEcause I know once you get to the US everything is on the system,so there should no problem finding our name on file. I am worried about airline.Hope anybody here could answer me ..Thanks  

• 7 months later...
Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Just wanted to share a update for all who are wondering. My wife is a Indian citizen, she has a expired green card and is awaiting her 10 year green card. They have given her form i-797 which allows for work and travel while she awaits her new green card. We are travelling to mexico in October 2017. For all whom are in the same situation, you do need a Mexican visa. Travelling with a expired GC and form i-797 will not be enough to enter mexico. The visa process is simple, some states require a appointment and others don't. Be sure to look at the general and tourist visa requirements. In addition to what is listed, if he/she is applying as your dependent you will need original and copy of marriage cert. As well as a copy of your American passport/ID. Still remember to bring your expired GC and i-797 on your trip as you will need it to re-enter the United States. 

I Have heard and read stories where the visa is not needed, and even speaking to USCIS they said we were fine without it. However, that doesn't mean the customs official in Mexico will feel the same way. It only cost us $36.00...small price to pay and easy process. Hope this helps!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 09/19/2017 at 1:20 PM, Nick jason said:

Just wanted to share a update for all who are wondering. My wife is a Indian citizen, she has a expired green card and is awaiting her 10 year green card. They have given her form i-797 which allows for work and travel while she awaits her new green card. We are travelling to mexico in October 2017. For all whom are in the same situation, you do need a Mexican visa. Travelling with a expired GC and form i-797 will not be enough to enter mexico. The visa process is simple, some states require a appointment and others don't. Be sure to look at the general and tourist visa requirements. In addition to what is listed, if he/she is applying as your dependent you will need original and copy of marriage cert. As well as a copy of your American passport/ID. Still remember to bring your expired GC and i-797 on your trip as you will need it to re-enter the United States. 

I Have heard and read stories where the visa is not needed, and even speaking to USCIS they said we were fine without it. However, that doesn't mean the customs official in Mexico will feel the same way. It only cost us $36.00...small price to pay and easy process. Hope this helps!

I agree..... If your passport is from a country which requires a Visa to travel most of the world,.  Then you may need to get a visit Visa, or even a transit Visa.... check the immigration web site of the country traveling and or transiting.....

------------------------

17 APRIL 2013 : NOA1 Priority date
27 NOV: TSC; Transfered from NBC

3 Feb : NOA2 ( 296 days)

4 March: Shipped to NVC

11 March : Received at NVC

11 April: Case # assigned

18 April: paid both fees

9May: mailed AOS & IV packages

8May: DS260 completed

16May: packets scanned in NVC system

13 June: check list : missing page 7 of i864.

25 June : scan date AOS checklist

7 Aug: Case Complete...... BIG ACCOMPLISHMENT

14 Aug: interview date assigned

16 Aug: Email interview appointment received

18 Aug: Medical completed

23 Aug: biometric done,DS260 stamped, fingerprints taken.

10 Sep: interview day; interview took 511 days from I-130 NOA1

====================================================

11. 9/17/2016: I-751 packet received by CSC

12.Check Cashed : 9/21/2016

13. NOA1: 9/23/2016

14. BIOMETRICS : 10/12/2016

---------------------------

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2017 at 12:20 PM, Nick jason said:

I saw your post the night before my husband and I flew to Cancun (9/28). Needless to say, I did not sleep, I was so worried! I have a Kenyan passport so I definitely would not have been able to enter visa free.

Luckily I was able to enter without a problem, they didn't even check my extension letter, just my expired green card and that's only because I offered it. My extension letter was examined on our return to the US and even that was relatively simple.

Complete: AOS
Married 06/12/2014
08/02/14: Concurrent filing of i130, i485 and i765.

07/20/15: Green card received!! 

Complete: ROC

Package Mailed: 05/11/17

Received: 05/12/17

Money Order cashed: 05/12/17

NOA Received: 05/22/17

Biometrics Notice (dated): 5/20/17

Appt date: 06/05/17 (complete)

Approval notice: 9/11/2018 (received 9/15/2018)

Card received: 9/18/2018

😍02/05/19: Welcomed baby girl into our family 😍

Current: Naturalization

03/13/2019 - submitted online N400 and paid fee

03/26/2019 - received biometrics notice scheduled for 4/5

04/05/2019 - completed biometrics

10/12/2019 - received interview noticed scheduled for 11/16

11/16/2019 - interview

11/21/2019 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.