permathought

Marriage Certificate: Certified copy or copy of the certified copy

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife and I were married in Venezuela in 2011. We are currently filling for our AOS from her B2 visitor visa.  We have one (1) certified copy of our marriage certificate from Venezuela and we can't go back there anytime soon nor is there anyway to get one sent to us.  I know on the instructions here it says to send a certified copy with the I-130 packet and and one certified copy with the I-485. Since we have only one certified copy which I'm very protective of, would it be possible to send copies of the certified copy with those packages and bring the certified copy to the interview? Would I need to explain this in the packages in order to avoid an RFE?

AOS from B1/B2

1/30/17    Packet (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131) sent in the mail to Chicago Lockbox via USPS

2/01/17    Packet arrives

2/02/17    USCIS received date

2/08/17    NOA1

2/09/17    Checks cashed

2/14/17    I-797C arrived in the mail

2/27/17    Biometrics appointment in San Antonio

2/28/17    RFIE for I-864 (2016 tax return and needed a joint sponsor)

5/1/17      RFIE evidence received

10/6/17   Interview scheduled for November 13th!!!

11/13/17 Interview and approved on the spot!

11/21/17 Greencard arrives in the mail.  Plan to start naturalization in 3 years....

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I just read the instructions of the I-130 from the USCIS website and it says

1. A spouse, submit the following documentation

A. A copy of the marriage certificate

So I take that as meaning just a copy of the certified copy should be sufficient.  Has anyone had any experience sending just a copy?

AOS from B1/B2

1/30/17    Packet (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131) sent in the mail to Chicago Lockbox via USPS

2/01/17    Packet arrives

2/02/17    USCIS received date

2/08/17    NOA1

2/09/17    Checks cashed

2/14/17    I-797C arrived in the mail

2/27/17    Biometrics appointment in San Antonio

2/28/17    RFIE for I-864 (2016 tax return and needed a joint sponsor)

5/1/17      RFIE evidence received

10/6/17   Interview scheduled for November 13th!!!

11/13/17 Interview and approved on the spot!

11/21/17 Greencard arrives in the mail.  Plan to start naturalization in 3 years....

Just ssnd a normal photocopy of your certificate.  Dont send the certified copy.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.