shiggins9

I-864 Income Question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

We all know you can use assets if income is not enough for I-864.  But I've been stumped on how to fill this out.  I freelance in China and have absolutely no proof of income - no paystubs, no W2s, no 1099s.  The thought of a proof of income RFE is scary because I got nothing.  I have previous 3 years of taxes and they say between 10-50K per year but I don't have any proof of income for those either.  I do have a house in the US paid in full and am in the process of getting an appraisal so I can use this in Part 7. 

I-864 Part 6:

But any recommendations on if I chose "Self-Employed" with a small income ex: $3000 and hope they won't RFE me on such a small amount?  Or maybe "Unemployed" as I'd rather them use my assets only?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Why not just put 0 for income, if you are comfortable over the threshold with assets?  That is what my husband did when sponsoring me.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

They will only RFE for proof of sufficient funds. Any funds. If you plan to live in the house, it can't be used as an asset.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Timeline
27 minutes ago, A'n'L said:

They will only RFE for proof of sufficient funds. Any funds. If you plan to live in the house, it can't be used as an asset.

1st off, thanks for the quick responses.

Yes I do plan to live in the house.  But I haven't read that information anywhere.  I know you need to have 2 cars to count one as an asset - if you need to have 2 houses, can you point to where that stipulation is?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
27 minutes ago, shiggins9 said:

1st off, thanks for the quick responses.

Yes I do plan to live in the house.  But I haven't read that information anywhere.  I know you need to have 2 cars to count one as an asset - if you need to have 2 houses, can you point to where that stipulation is?

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

doesn't specifically say that but it must be convertible to cash within one year.

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Update:

My wife had her IV interview today in Guangzhou. She got a 20 year old kid who was a real jerk. He was very taken aback that her English is so good as he wanted to show off speaking Chinese. 

He said "do you know your husband's current income is 0?" Right on cue, my wife responded with "yes, we are choosing to use assets instead of income." Our assets typed below the income field are over $300,000. Not knowing what to do he started typing on his computer and said "I'll be right back after I talk to my boss." He came back and told my wife that she will need a joint sponsor. 

It is very clear that assets can be used if unable to prove that income equals 125% of the poverty guidelines for your household size, and this is taken directly off of the USCIS website! How is it that I know the Consulate and immigration rules better than this hot-headed kid. I'm disgusted as now I have to go groveling to my family explaining why me as an independent self employed 35-year-old adult don't meet the poverty guidelines. Thanks Guangzhou Consulate for making me feel like a total loser even though I filed everything correctly %100 to the tee. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.