ramasam

Administrative Review for 6months

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am new here. Very frustrated and wondering on the internet trying to find answers or advice as what I could do in my situation. My husband and I got married in in April 2015 and got the marriage in the Municipal Assembly and registered our marriage with a valid and legal marriage certificate. I returned back to the US and petitioned a then non-immigrant visa for my husband which was approved by the USCIS Vermont Center. When my husband went to the embassy in Accra for his visa (that was already approved by VSC) he was denied on 221(g) and placed in Administrative review. It is now 6months that we have been waiting. We provided everything we had and the lady officer was so rude and treated us as if we were not humans. I have never been this disrespected by anyone. Does anyone know any success stories on AP cases in Ghana? All our inquiries to the embassy are being ignored and we are after 6months, still no word as to what is going on with his case. That visa is only valid for 3 more months and I am currently a green card holder. Any idea what I can do now? I am really frustrated at this point after a 6month wait.  

Edited by ramasam

Timeline

Hello Guys!

Please someone tell me how long it takes the US embassy in Accra, Ghana to complete their Administrative Review Process. We have been waiting for 6months now and still no word. My congressman has reached out to them with always the same the response. "case in administrative review". What can I do? Has anyone had to wait this long to hear from the consular on an AR case? What exactly are they doing to take this long time? This is very frustrating for anyone to handle. Beside the congressman, any advice what I can do? My inquires have not been responded to so that is out. What else can I do to get my here with me?

Thanks for your responses!

Timeline

thanks for your response. So if that country is on a high fraud list, they don't have a timeline within which they resolve problems? It is quite interesting that the people they suspect and spend so much time frustrating are the truly geniuine and peaceful people. They actual people they are so lenient with are the real danger. At least they must respond to inquiries and and communicate whatever stage they are at. All people are human beings not only some people from from countries. That is the hard part.

USCIS adjudicates petitions; they do not grant visas. So no, his visa has not been approved by USCIS or anyone else. 

If he's in AP then there is no way to tell how long it will take; AP is open ended and is finished when it's finished. 

Ghana is a high fraud embassy, so substantial AP time is not a rarity. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, ramasam said:

thanks for your response. So if that country is on a high fraud list, they don't have a timeline within which they resolve problems? It is quite interesting that the people they suspect and spend so much time frustrating are the truly geniuine and peaceful people. They actual people they are so lenient with are the real danger. At least they must respond to inquiries and and communicate whatever stage they are at. All people are human beings not only some people from from countries. That is the hard part.

Don't put the blame there.  Put it on your fellow countrymen who have committed marriage or immigration fraud time and time again.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Duplicate threads merged. Please only start one thread for the same or similar topic.~~

~~Moved to Waivers, from Introductions.~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

i guess they told you they will send you a letter in your mail have you received that and if yes i will prefer you make a lawyer respond to that letter 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
12 hours ago, ramasam said:

Hello everyone,

I am new here. Very frustrated and wondering on the internet trying to find answers or advice as what I could do in my situation. My husband and I got married in in April 2015 and got the marriage in the Municipal Assembly and registered our marriage with a valid and legal marriage certificate. I returned back to the US and petitioned a then non-immigrant visa for my husband which was approved by the USCIS Vermont Center. When my husband went to the embassy in Accra for his visa (that was already approved by VSC) he was denied on 221(g) and placed in Administrative review. It is now 6months that we have been waiting. We provided everything we had and the lady officer was so rude and treated us as if we were not humans. I have never been this disrespected by anyone. Does anyone know any success stories on AP cases in Ghana? All our inquiries to the embassy are being ignored and we are after 6months, still no word as to what is going on with his case. That visa is only valid for 3 more months and I am currently a green card holder. Any idea what I can do now? I am really frustrated at this point after a 6month wait.  

APs have no timeline to them... you'll just have to wait.

So you are a greencard holder and applied for a non-immigrant visa for the spouse??? definitely that visa would be denied because there is the "intent to immigrate" there... just my 2 cents

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Auds said:

I think you applied for a wrong visa!  Can you clarify exactly what you applied for.

Thats what I'm wondering also.... but yet said they received a 221g for AP...  need a little more detail with this story.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

You just have to wait it out...there's not really anything you can do while it's pending AP. That said, the spouse of a LPR trying to get a tourist visa from a high fraud country probably raised a number of flags. It's highly likely they believe your spouse is just trying to get into America and then try to stay. If he just wants to visit, he will have a hard time proving ties to his home country. AP could last any amount of time and is not guaranteed to be approved.

If he does intend to immigrate to the US, filing for an FB-2 is probably the way to approach it. Or after you become a USC, you can file for a IR-1 (I'm assuming you will be married over 2 years by that point).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

4 hours ago, 684117 said:

why did you apply for a non immigrant if you guys are married? non immigrant is a k1 while is you are married you should apply for a cr1. 

OP is an LPR, not USC. Therefore they don't qualify for a K-1 or CR-1.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

Thanks guys, for all the response! Sorry I didn't clarify in my post that at the time I applied for him, I was not yet an LPR. At that time, I was on a non-immigrant visa and applied for him as my dependent. At the time, I was on U NIV and I petitioned a U-2 for him as my dependent which was approved by the Vermont Center. He then had to go to the embassy for an interview for the official visa which the consular officer denied with a 221(g) although we provided everything he requested and informed him that the approved U-2 will be sent back to VSC. After contacting them several times, we find out that his case is "...in administrative review". Now during the course of waiting, I became LPR (green card holder). This means that the U-2 for which he was placed on AR is no longer even needed (and will soon expire) since I am no longer on U and now with a green card. For the last 6months, we have been waiting for nothing. The hard part is that, When I adjusted my status to PR, I filed the form I-192 for him so that when mine is approved his PR will be approved too. But because he is still in Administrative review at the Accra embassy for the almost expired U-2, no decision has been made on his I-192 either.

What happens, if during an administrative review process, that visa expire and is no longer needed? I'm sure they know the expiration date on the approval from VSC. Should they wait till it is expired before making any decision on that particular NIV? If they will not approve it for him, they should deny it so that we can think about what next steps we can take.  Right now, we do not know how long this process will take but that visa expires in about 2months.  and may not be valid anyway for him to use it. Don't know what to do now. 

Edited by ramasam

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.