Ayla_b628

Starting process for CR-1 and CR-2

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sure this has been asked a number of times over, but I got married in December. He is american and myself Canadian. 

I have my son, whom isn't his, but obviously we're going ahead with life in America as opposed to Canada. Aside from custody order papers saying I can leave with my son and sending that in....what paperwork do we do?
I had an understanding of doing:

$420 2x - for I-130

$120 1 affidavit of support

$325 -2x payments of visa application

$165 for green card

total of near 2000 and that's not with the medical visits and such.

Now questions, can his faither also be an affidavit of support? If yes, do we submit it at the same time to save time?
Also with these forms all submitted at once do we still have to adjust status once we move there? Or does the green card come to our Canadian residence and everything will be ready? 

Do we know process times if I say submitted in the next couple of months? (I do not understand the charts that were on this website)

Thank you!!!!

I Love You Baby, Always & Forever

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hey Ayla_b628,

You should really take a look at at the Guides available on the VisaJourney website --

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

It lists the various steps and what exactly needs to be sent at each step. If you still have any questions after reading through this, feel free to post again.

Now questions, can his faither also be an affidavit of support? If yes, do we submit it at the same time to save time?

Yes, his father can submit an affidavit of support. This step, however, comes later in the process. You don't do this right away; please see the guide I referenced above.

Also with these forms all submitted at once do we still have to adjust status once we move there? Or does the green card come to our Canadian residence and everything will be ready? 

Please see the guide above regarding information on which forms get submitted at what step. But in general what happens is you first submit the I-130 application along with fees, proof of petitioner's US citizenship, and evidence of a bonafide marriage. This gets submitted to USCIS. Next, you submit information regarding the applicant  - police certificate, birth certificate, along with financial information (affidavit of support) to the NVC. After this, you then have an interview at the Canadian consulate and once approved enter the US. You're green card is then mailed to your US residence.

Do we know process times if I say submitted in the next couple of months? (I do not understand the charts that were on this website)

The entire process takes around 1 year.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Ayla_b628 said:

I'm sure this has been asked a number of times over, but I got married in December. He is american and myself Canadian. 

I have my son, whom isn't his, but obviously we're going ahead with life in America as opposed to Canada. Aside from custody order papers saying I can leave with my son and sending that in....what paperwork do we do?

$420 2x - for I-130

$165 for green card

Thank you!!!!

You may want to double check those fees. I was just on the USICS website looking at the fees for something else and a number of fees have changed effective December 23, 2016. :( The fee I was looking at for something else almost doubled.

Timeline
1 hour ago, agripa said:

Hey Ayla_b628,

You should really take a look at at the Guides available on the VisaJourney website --

It lists the various steps and what exactly needs to be sent at each step. If you still have any questions after reading through this, feel free to post again.

Yes, his father can submit an affidavit of support. This step, however, comes later in the process. You don't do this right away; please see the guide I referenced above.

Please see the guide above regarding information on which forms get submitted at what step. But in general what happens is you first submit the I-130 application along with fees, proof of petitioner's US citizenship, and evidence of a bonafide marriage. This gets submitted to USCIS. Next, you submit information regarding the applicant  - police certificate, birth certificate, along with financial information (affidavit of support) to the NVC. After this, you then have an interview at the Canadian consulate and once approved enter the US. You're green card is then mailed to your US residence.

The entire process takes around 1 year.

Thank you I will check the guide again, but from my understanding doing a cr-1 visa, I-130 first for myself and my son (can it go in the same packet?) then that's mailed off. However do I need to adjust my status at any point going this route? Because I haven't seen that mentioned at all. 

Timeline

I've already read this form, however I do want to verify some information I have read. 

First of all, I once lived in the states before on a conditional visa and left before removing those conditions. That was years ago, I've since been married and am going to be moving back this time with my son who is a step son to my husband. 

From my understanding I submit a form I-130 for myself and then another for my son. Can these both go in the same folder? Two seperate checks? Can i Just submit G-325A for myself? 

Then I understand I have to wait for an appointment and processing. 

At any point doing the CR-1 am I able to travel into the states with my son? Also, do I have to adjust status for myself and my son once we're accepted and move? Or is the CR-1 visa and G-325 and later forms just that? 

Do I submit anything else with the I-130 for myself and son the first time? I want this to go right. I did it myself the first time. 

Thank you!!!!!!!

The benefit to the CR1 visa is you won't have to do an adjust status once you are in. If you are approved you are approved for a two year green card,that you then turn into a 10 year. You then do an adjust for full citizenship.

You are able to visit but! It is a risk as if they see you have a pending visa or that you are visiting your husband they might decline you entry. There is a sticky fourm for this you can look at for info. I do not have any experience for this question.

You can put them both in one package with two different checks if you choose to do so.

You need to send everything in the checklist.

Edited by MrChamploo

Met 6/21/15 Online

Married since February 29th 2016 In the Netherlands (Where she is from)

6/12/16 - Preparing to send packet to USCIS

6/27/16 - Sent Package to Chicago lock-box via UPS

7/5/16 - NOA1 Text/Email / sent to Potomac (Hardcopy 7/10/16)

8/3/16 - NOA 2 I-130 Approved! Case sent to NVC! (Hardcopy 8/6/16)

8/19/16 to 9/4/16 - Visited wife for two weeks in NL. =}

9/1/16 - NVC Case and invoice # received. (Email) Finished DS260 and Paid AOS Fee.

9/8/16 - IV Fee Paid!

9/16/16 - DS260 Finished!

9/27/16 - Sent Documents to NVC.

11/21/16 - Called NVC. Case reviewed and accepted on 11/18. Waiting for email/mail.

11/28/16 - Got Email stating we are now waiting for an interview spot!

12/11/16 - Got the interview date! 1/12/17!

1/12/17 - ...ACCEPTED SHE IS NOW WAITING FOR HER PASSPORT IN THE MAIL! =]

1/18/17 - Passport and visa in her hands! We now wait till 2/24 for her to fly to me! (Has to finish work contract)

2/24/17 - She is now here with me! POE was simple,she only took 10 minutes with them checking her visa! "Welcome to America,missus"

3/15/17 - SSN Card Received.

4/10/17 - Greencard Received.

Preparing I-751 (ROC)

11/26/18 - I-751 Prepared and mailed out.

11/27/18 - UPS Confirmed Delivery at 10:30AM

12/3/18 - Checks cashed and got Email/Text With Receipt #

01/3/19 - Extension letter received.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Similar topics merged.~~~

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

On 1/11/2017 at 1:27 PM, Ayla_b628 said:

$420 2x - for I-130

$165 for green card

Thank you!!!!

Please take a look at our guides.  There are new fees for the I-130 and not everything is submitted at the same time.  The whole process takes about 1 year.  

The beneficiaries (the Canadians) will be able to interview and immigrate at the same time.  Montreal is a strict consulate, however, about domicile for the petitioner (the USC) so it is best if they are already living in the USA by the interview.

Beyond sole custody paperwork, you will need a notarized letter from the child's father stating they are aware of the move.  Not every embassy or consulate requires this but Montreal typically has. You take this to interview.  It's best to also have a copy of these when you enter to immigrate as well so the CBP can see the child is allowed and is not being kidnapped. 

The child's biological father cannot submit an affidavit of support as a joint  sponsor they are not a USC or LPR domiciled in the USA.   

With the IR1/CR1 and subsequent IR2/CR2 visas, you will become US legal permanent residents upon entering and activating the visas and will have green cards for 2 or 10 years depending on how long you have been married. There will be no need to adjust your status, and with successful new immigrant fee payments, the hard copy of the green cards will be mailed to you in the USA.  

Please take a look at this guide, Ive made sure the new fees are on it.  

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/EZGuideSpouse

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

A quick question, is the child's father a USC? I ask since you mentioned you were an LPR previously. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.