AP16

SSN needed for health ins? (split)

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I got here in October. My wife started a federal job this week with good health insurance, but they insist I need a SSN to be included and in spite of them saying that the SSO has no right to deny me a SSN, that's what the SSO did when I tried to get one months ago. Now I have less than 2 weeks before my I-94 expires and even though I applied for AOS already, almost 3 weeks later and we have absolutely nothing from USCIS regarding my application. 

In short, the US government does it's best to condemn legal immigrants to a limbo in society, to turn them into undocumented people, only to later advertise to the world that they need to close the borders because people are taking advantage of the country and that legal immigrants are welcomed with open arms (something that most Americans seem to believe).

I'm very happy with my marriage. I love my wife. But this immigration process just can't stop getting frustrating. AOS is nothing but the same process we did for K-1 plus a marriage certificate. It's just stupid having to prove the same things all over again.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
1 hour ago, AP16 said:

I got here in October. My wife started a federal job this week with good health insurance, but they insist I need a SSN to be included and in spite of them saying that the SSO has no right to deny me a SSN, that's what the SSO did when I tried to get one months ago. Now I have less than 2 weeks before my I-94 expires and even though I applied for AOS already, almost 3 weeks later and we have absolutely nothing from USCIS regarding my application. 

In short, the US government does it's best to condemn legal immigrants to a limbo in society, to turn them into undocumented people, only to later advertise to the world that they need to close the borders because people are taking advantage of the country and that legal immigrants are welcomed with open arms (something that most Americans seem to believe).

I'm very happy with my marriage. I love my wife. But this immigration process just can't stop getting frustrating. AOS is nothing but the same process we did for K-1 plus a marriage certificate. It's just stupid having to prove the same things all over again.

This is interesting as I also am a government employee and they did not deny me the right to add my spouse and stepson without however they wrote me a letter explaining that he needed either a social or ITIN for tax purposes. The insurer has to mail you a 1095-b to file with your tax return as proof of insurance other wise you will have to pay the penalty. 

Pkg Sent:9/13/16

Received at Chicago Lock box: 9/16/16

Received Texts: 9/30/16

NOA1 Received: 10/4/16 : Receipt Date of 9/19/16

Bio Appt letter Received: 10/12/16

Bio Appt completed: 10/24/16

Card in production: 11/17/16

Combo Card received 11/25/16

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Chardon Ne' said:

This is interesting as I also am a government employee and they did not deny me the right to add my spouse and stepson without however they wrote me a letter explaining that he needed either a social or ITIN for tax purposes. The insurer has to mail you a 1095-b to file with your tax return as proof of insurance other wise you will have to pay the penalty. 

I don't have tax returns, I can't work. I'm the immigrant. 

My wife was told that I can't be put on health insurance because I don't have a SSN. And one puts the blame on the other. SSO told me I don't need SSN as long as I'm not working and therefore they couldn't issue me one, health insurance says I do need it and they had no right to refuse issuing me a SSN. Doesn't matter who's right. What matters is that all efforts are being applied on turning legal immigrants into undocumented people. The system is contradictory, not efficient and confusing, since no one seems to know what to do.

Edited by AP16

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.