greyson.rizo

1 year ban for admission to pass marijuana use (merged)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

My husband did not test positive but did admit to pass marijuana use. He had a waiver but was given a 1 year ban as well. The only thing they told him was that for a better future for him and his family that he should return after March 2017 for a new physical. They kept all his paper work and he left. We have exhausted all funds and I'm living with family while I work and raise our 4 year old daughter. I was wondering what was the next step and how long it took. Not sure if I will be contacted by them what to do next or file for or if I will need to contact them. Our lawyer got very sick and then lost her husband so we are without a lawyer currently. I have heard so many horror stories like a 6 month ban that turned into 2 years. He is not staying near jaurez as the little family he has in Mexico requires him to stay a 2 hour flight away. Thanks for help or light you can shed on the matter. 

Edited by Penguin_ie

Filed: Country:
Timeline

He's not "banned." He was found ineligible for a visa for medical reasons - in this case, drug abuse. He has to show remission for a year, generally through clean drug tests. When the panel physician is satisfied they will give him a clean medical exam and at that point he can be issued his visa. Nothing to do but follow the doctor's instructions. 

Timeline

He was never told he had to do any drug testing during the 1 year period. I was wondering too if the waiver they kept is still good after a year. And about how long after the 1 year has passed it will be before he returns home. Was not sure if there was any paper work that went along with this as well so I could prepare for that as well. 

• 1 month later...
Timeline

My husband's 1 year ban is up in March 2017. I have not heard anything. I see a lot of post with people calling or emailing  embassy to open case. His interview was in Jaurez. No one we have called has helped. Can anyone give me the number or email to call and reopen his case. Also what will he need to take with him this time or what needs to be updated? Thanks 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** two threads on the same issue merged.  Please do not post more than once on a question; if you have follow-on questions or an update, post them as a reply to this thread *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
9 hours ago, greyson.rizo said:

My husband's 1 year ban is up in March 2017. I have not heard anything. I see a lot of post with people calling or emailing  embassy to open case. His interview was in Jaurez. No one we have called has helped. Can anyone give me the number or email to call and reopen his case. Also what will he need to take with him this time or what needs to be updated? Thanks 

When you contact the embassy you can ask for instructions on what updated documents they need.  Usually new police record, medical exam, and sponsor income info is needed. You can use the VJ search tool to find embassy info:

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Mexico&cty=Juarez

Timeline

I just went through this nightmare! Alright, this only applies if he didn't submit a I-601 or I-601A waiver because in my case I didn't need one. That being said he needs to log on to the following website: https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-mx/iv and under current status it should say send documents. Next to that is should say "print instructions" click on it and it should say "close" or "view courier-in receipt". Click on the view courier-in receipt. Print that document and retake the medical exam at the same clinic after the allowed date. Also call the Ciudad Juarez number: +52 656 344 3003 and tell them that you need to send in your medical and they will send you instructions to your email. After receiving the sealed black medical envelope, send in the medical along with the instructions page emailed to you and take the courier-in receipt with you to your local DHL location, I suggest using the Lopez Rayon location. IMPORTANT mail in your PASSPORT along with your medical/instruction, because they will end up asking for it anyways and to save some time, send it in!

During the medical it is important that he tells the truth and repeats exactly the same responses as last time. Have you ever used any illegal/controlled substances (marijuana... etc.)? WHEN? FOR HOW LONG? WHY? WITH WHO? WAS YOUR SPOUSE AWARE? WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT DRUGS/ALCOHOL? Answer the same thing and use the same dates that he admitted to last time. Important to say he hasn't used it since then. In my case the psychologist told me when and how long I used it and asked me to very the information again.

Please tell the truth and stay consistent with your previous answers. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Timeline

If for some reason you don't have the login information to https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-mx/iv call the Cuidad Juarez number and inform them that you no longer have the same lawyer and that you need to reset the email to one that you have access to. Have your passport number ready along with the case number.

Best of luck, prayers are with you!

• 1 month later...
Timeline

He did submit a I601 waiver and was approved. He landed in Jaurez today. His appointment for new physical is tomorrow. We were told for weeks by USCIS that they had submitted a request for an information letter and it would take 10 days. I had to do this twice to only be told a few days ago that we would not get any response until the new physical had been submitted. They said we did not have to submit anything with it or got to any other appointments. All he needed to do was go too the new physical send it in and they would send us an information letter after then. Has anyone else been had a similar situation please shed some light. I am still confused and not sure cause everyone else with similar cases is saying different things. Like the information letter comes first, asking for permission to resubmit new physical, fyi he has the letter that says to return after March 2017 for a new physical, also things like do we mail in with passport or any other form new or updated. Thank for any help.

• 6 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Alcon,

I'm freaking out right now.  Is it certain, if one admits to past marijuana use and still passes the drug test, there is a great chance of being banned for a year?  Understand different embassies may handle it differently, at least I'm hoping so.  Does anyone know?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If you admit it, and the doctor writes it in his/ her notes, you will almost certainly get held back for a year.  I think I know of two cases on hre in all my years where they were not banned for one year, both was with very minimal use many years ago/ as a minor.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.