Voice of Reason

Dylann Roof Sentenced To Death

44 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
3 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

There are appealable cases and cases that are clear.  

I believe the clear ones with a grinning confession and multiple witnesses and a smoking murder weapon all wrapped up in the same time and place in a neat and complete package can be streamlined.  This is one of those cases.

I could give you a really long list of cases where it was so "clear" that it only took 20 years to figure out they were innocent. Law should apply equally to everyone and everyone deserves an appeal. 

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
2 hours ago, 8bit_Theatre said:

He should instead have received life with some sort of community service requirement....in a predominantly black community.

That would probably be a whole lot more beneficial for all parties.

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

My problem with this is I find death too lenient. I think being forced to live life can be far more severe. I realize it costs money to keep those people alive, but still. I imagine most people who go a shooting rampage at least considered the possibility that they would be killed at the scene, and were okay with that (especially the ones that aren't technically "insane" and are just messed up, like this person seems to be). So in the end just killing him months later is just a delay of what he had probably "accepted" at the beginning. 

So I have nothing wrong with the death penalty per say, I just wish we had an affordable way to keep these people alive and let them suffer for 60 years by having no/limited human contact and in isolate. Feed him gruel, maybe a little torture. I have an evil side when it comes to mass murderers I guess.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, 8bit_Theatre said:

He should instead have received life with some sort of community service requirement....in a predominantly black community.

I see where you are going with that, but I don't think it would be a good idea. Since we currently have the death penalty, that is the appropriate punishment under the law for a case like this. If we didn't have the death penalty life without parole would be appropriate.

The history of crime and punishment should have shown us to leave it at that. Trying to get creative with punishment often has less than desirable results at any level.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Timeline
52 minutes ago, bcking said:

My problem with this is I find death too lenient. I think being forced to live life can be far more severe. I realize it costs money to keep those people alive, but still. I imagine most people who go a shooting rampage at least considered the possibility that they would be killed at the scene, and were okay with that (especially the ones that aren't technically "insane" and are just messed up, like this person seems to be). So in the end just killing him months later is just a delay of what he had probably "accepted" at the beginning. 

So I have nothing wrong with the death penalty per say, I just wish we had an affordable way to keep these people alive and let them suffer for 60 years by having no/limited human contact and in isolate. Feed him gruel, maybe a little torture. I have an evil side when it comes to mass murderers I guess.

I can see your point, and it has merit.  Death entails no suffering, therefore the accused isn't really "paying a debt to society".  Some countries have sentences such as cutting off hands (for stealing) or private parts (rape), and they are probably effective, but far too barbaric for our civilized society.  Though like you, I would be all for it, but again, as Oriz pointed out, what about the innocents that are caught up improperly?  It wasn't unheard of for women who were having orgasms to be convicted of witchcraft and burned at the stake.  So we can't go back THAT far.  But a little bit, I am good with.  Trouble is... who decides how much torture is ok?

OTOH, not so many years past, it was a hanging offense to steal a horse.  If you were caught with another man's horse, you were hung pretty much on the spot.  Guess what?  Stealing horses wasn't a huge issue.  The deterrent was well known.

It would take a few years for the death penalty to come back and have that kind of effect in our society, and I don't see it ever happening really.

does it matter to anyone here who supports the death penalty that the victims' families do not want him put to death? 

Filed: Timeline
21 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

does it matter to anyone here who supports the death penalty that the victims' families do not want him put to death? 

Pretty sure the law doesn't take this into consideration, but you raise an interesting point: Should the plaintiffs have a say in the matter?  If so, how to handle a split vote?  I mean, if it's one mom and one dad who lost a child, and one voted for the death sentence, but the other said no, and the jury recommended death, how to handle that?

Definitley a slippery slope, and would probably open the door for more emotion to come into the verdict than there currently is.  

2 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

Pretty sure the law doesn't take this into consideration, but you raise an interesting point: Should the plaintiffs have a say in the matter?  If so, how to handle a split vote?  I mean, if it's one mom and one dad who lost a child, and one voted for the death sentence, but the other said no, and the jury recommended death, how to handle that?

Definitley a slippery slope, and would probably open the door for more emotion to come into the verdict than there currently is.  

no need to go down a 'slippery slope' concerning the law, just wondering how/what death penalty supporters feel/think about it.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:52 PM, OriZ said:

Well, the problem is cases with death penalty actually end up costing more than those without.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

Not true, it's something that the anti-death penalty bleeding hearts came up with.  A death penalty case requires a lot more time in the court (with hearings, appeals and more appeals) and they claim that it costs the government more money.  But it doesn't.  The judges, prosecutors, court staff are still going to be working and getting paid whether or not the death penalty case is there.  So where's the extra expense?  A bunch of hokum...

Edited by Eric-Pris

How many people have been freed from death row?
Since 1976, we have executed over 1,397 individuals in this country. As of January 2015, 150 individuals have been exonerated--that is, found to be innocent and set free. In other words, for every 10 people who have been executed since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976, one person has been set free.
How many people have been wrongly executed?
Since 1973, 144 people on death row have been exonerated. As a percentage of all death sentences, that's just 1.6 percent. But if the innocence rate is 4.1 percent, more than twice the rate of exoneration, the study suggests what most people assumed but dreaded: An untold number of innocent people have been executed.

One in 25 Sentenced to Death in the U.S. Is Innocent, Study Claims

www.newsweek.com/one-25-executed-us-innocent-study-claims-248889

4 minutes ago, Eric-Pris said:

Not true, it's something that the anti-death penalty bleeding hearts came up with.  A death penalty case requires a lot more time in the court (with hearings, appeals and more appeals) and they claim that it costs the government more money.  But it doesn't.  The judges, prosecutors, court staff are still going to be working and getting paid whether or not the death penalty case is there.  So where's the extra expense?  A bunch of hokum...

:huh:

The alternative to the death penalty is work camps.  I'm against life in prison because it's too easy.  TV's, pool tables, workout equipment, computers, etc. etc.  Some of these are things that righteous people don't have on the "outside" because they can't afford them and these animals get it for free.  I'd support abolishing the death penalty in exchange for work camps for everybody, not just capital cases.  You do hard labor to pay your debt to society.  And not for pay like they do now (even though prisons make very little, it's still too much, they don't deserve it.).