Kathryn Baer

Having a Private Ceremony Before K-1 is Approved & Nexus Card

65 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance & I submitted our K-1 Fiance Visa package in November, 2016 and received our NOA1 on November 28, 2016. We have been talking about having a small private ceremony with our parents here in Canada where I live (potentially in March or April) before the forms go through and then I would live there (in the USA) with him until the forms go through (or until my 6 months are up). Since my dad is not permitted to enter the USA at this time (they say he was arrested recently but hasn't been arrested since his last impaired in 1984) he can't come to Boise or Portland for the official, legal wedding ceremony, which is why we want to do a small, private ceremony here in Canada so that my parents can be involved, too. No signing of any forms, just a private ceremony with our vows and me in a pretty dress. Once the forms go through we would do the "Official" legal marriage. We were just wondering if anyone has done this before and what their experience was? 

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew if since I recently obtained my Nexus/Global Entry Card (my fingerprints & background check for the USA were done in October, 2016) if that could potentially help make obtaining the K-1 faster? I am in the USA system already, and pretty recently at that, so I have hope that it will somehow make things go faster. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Met in Nashville, TN: October 12, 2014

I went to see him: March 27 - March 31, 2016

He came to see me:  August 7 - August 15, 2016

We went to Victoria, BC together: October 14 - October 24, 2016

He proposed: October 18, 2016! :wub:

Sent K-1 Package: November 21, 2016

NOA1 Received: November 28, 2016

Went to see him: December 10 - December 19, 2016

Went to see him: December 31, 2016 - January 3, 2017

Went to see him: February 5 - February 19, 2017

*Customs Agents never asked for my duration of stay. Only asked my purpose of travel. Told them I was going to see my fiance. No issues. 

NOA2 Received: March 2, 2017

He's coming to see me: April 7 - 18, 2017

Decided to get married in Canada & sponsor him to move to Canada.

He came here, one way ticket: May 22, 2017

Got married!: June 11, 2017

Went to San Francisco for our honeymoon: June 13 - 19, 2017* 

*Customs Agent asked for proof of return ticket, no other issues when entering the US

Went to visit family for Thanksgiving & reception: November 19 - 26, 2017

Currently waiting on finalizing paperwork to submit Spousal Sponsorship application for Canada.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Nexus and all probably won't make it go much quicker. Maybe a little bit with the background check but the overall process will stay the same time frame.

As to the ceremony.... do no, do not sign any forms, and do not share any photos from that ceremony with anyone or the embassy. People who have done these 'little ceremonies' have been denied K-1's in the past because the embassy then views you as "Too married for the K-1" even if you aren't legally married. So proceed with caution on this.

For myself, I would say don't do it...  but again do it cautiously if you must.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Regarding ceremony in Canada: Should be totally fine, but make sure your SO brings proof of ties to the US (i.e. the NOA you got, proving that it's actually YOU who is then moving down, not vice-versa). HOWEVER SIGN NOTHING AND DO NOT ACTUALLY GET MARRIED (You probably know this already).

As a NEXUS cardholder myself, it did absolutely nothing to speed anything up. I obtained my NEXUS card I believe shortly after the NOA2. It was handy to use to fly to Montreal to skip security, however...

Edited by zilchfox

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

People who have done these 'little ceremonies' have been denied K-1's in the past because the embassy then views you as "Too married for the K-1" even if you aren't legally married. So proceed with caution on this.

That's so weird. It's basically a common law marriage and basically just word of mouth. Why would it be an issue if they aren't married on paper? They wouldn't qualify for the CR1/IR1 either.

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, zilchfox said:

That's so weird. It's basically a common law marriage and basically just word of mouth. Why would it be an issue if they aren't married on paper? They wouldn't qualify for the CR1/IR1 either.

It has happened in a lot of different cultures on here. The embassy sees these photos and again considers them "Too married for a K-1" but yes you're right, "Not married enough for a CR-1", its just a gray area.

People then tend to have to go actually get married and file a CR-1. It's just best to avoid these situations.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

This is just my opinion based on being a member here. I would personally avoid any ceremony that 'could' suggest that you are married, it is more difficult for you to prove that you aren't than you being married. Even though you wouldn't be married, it's not worth the potential problems you could face if they decide to flag it up, saying nothing won't mean that it won't get out somehow or somewhere (Facebook can be the devil with things like this, so that would be a no no), so just my opinion.... avoid doing it, it's just not worth it. Do the ceremony with family and friends after you're approved AP, I'm sure they'll understand.

I will not look back on this journey with fond memories, but I will look back knowing that every step was worth it, whatever the outcome.

K-1

Spoiler

I-129f sent - December 30 2015
NOA1 received - January 4 2016
Hard copy received - January 11 2016
RFE notice - February 29 2016 (56 days)
Hard copy received - March 4 2016
RFE receipt - March 09 2016 (9 days)

NOA2 received - March 16 2016 (72 days from NOA1)

NVC received - April 06 2016 (21 days from NOA2)

Medical - April 15 2016

Packet 3 received - April 16 2016

Interview - June 01 2016 (wedding postponed) - APPROVED!!

Visa in hand - June 09 2016

Flying home - June 17 2016 - POE JFK - check out my POE review for details

Wedding - July 14 2016

AOS

I-485 - 08/24/16

NOA1 - 09/01/16 Biometrics - 09/26/16

EAD - 11/04/16

AP - 11/05/16

Card delivered - 11/19/16

Driving license - 11/30/16

New job - 12/01/16

I-485 approved - 02/10/17 - Interview waived

ROC

I-751 - 11/30/18

NOA1 - 01/25/19

Biometrics - 07/01/19

Timeline

Huh, today I learned something new.

Probably best to get married legitimately first in the U.S. on paper, and then once you have your Adjustment of Status filed and Advance Parole granted, go to Canada for the actual ceremony so your father can attend.

Technically, you can do the ceremony and not get married. However, USCIS tends to view this with a lot of scrutiny in areas where it's not the custom to have such a ceremony (i.e. in Vietnam, an engagement ceremony is customary). Their concern, and unfortunately it's warranted, is that people get married anyway and still use the K-1 process to enter the US. It's generally better to just forego any such pre-wedding ceremony as to not raise any such concerns, even though you aren't doing anything wrong. Better safe than sorry.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for all your responses you guys. I understand that there could definitely be some major issues that could come up from having any kind of ceremony before the visa is approved and we get married in the USA. It just really saddens me that I'd have to get married without my dad there, which is why we had thought of doing the private ceremony first. I've always liked the whole symbolism behind the father walking his daughter down the aisle and "giving her away" to the groom. My dad would love to be there, but he does understand that it may simply just not work. He's in the process of obtaining a pardon (for who knows what cause he's done literally nothing) so maybe that will go through by the time our forms go through as well.

Met in Nashville, TN: October 12, 2014

I went to see him: March 27 - March 31, 2016

He came to see me:  August 7 - August 15, 2016

We went to Victoria, BC together: October 14 - October 24, 2016

He proposed: October 18, 2016! :wub:

Sent K-1 Package: November 21, 2016

NOA1 Received: November 28, 2016

Went to see him: December 10 - December 19, 2016

Went to see him: December 31, 2016 - January 3, 2017

Went to see him: February 5 - February 19, 2017

*Customs Agents never asked for my duration of stay. Only asked my purpose of travel. Told them I was going to see my fiance. No issues. 

NOA2 Received: March 2, 2017

He's coming to see me: April 7 - 18, 2017

Decided to get married in Canada & sponsor him to move to Canada.

He came here, one way ticket: May 22, 2017

Got married!: June 11, 2017

Went to San Francisco for our honeymoon: June 13 - 19, 2017* 

*Customs Agent asked for proof of return ticket, no other issues when entering the US

Went to visit family for Thanksgiving & reception: November 19 - 26, 2017

Currently waiting on finalizing paperwork to submit Spousal Sponsorship application for Canada.

Filed: Timeline

A "common law marriage" actually has legal weight in some states.

States That Recognize Common Law Marriage

Only a few states recognize common law marriages, and each has specific stipulations as to what relationships are included:

• Alabama
  • Colorado
  • District of Columbia
  • Georgia (if created before 1/1/97)
  • Idaho (if created before 1/1/96)
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Montana
  • New Hampshire (for inheritance purposes only)
  • Ohio (if created before 10/10/91)
  • Oklahoma (possibly only if created before 11/1/98. Oklahoma’s laws and court decisions may be in conflict about whether common law marriages formed in that state after 11/1/98 will be recognized.)
  • Pennsylvania (if created before 1/1/05)
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • Texas
  • Utah

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
3 hours ago, Kathryn Banman said:

Thanks for all your responses you guys. I understand that there could definitely be some major issues that could come up from having any kind of ceremony before the visa is approved and we get married in the USA. It just really saddens me that I'd have to get married without my dad there, which is why we had thought of doing the private ceremony first. I've always liked the whole symbolism behind the father walking his daughter down the aisle and "giving her away" to the groom. My dad would love to be there, but he does understand that it may simply just not work. He's in the process of obtaining a pardon (for who knows what cause he's done literally nothing) so maybe that will go through by the time our forms go through as well.

Incredibly bad idea to do it beforehand.

But I'm confused--why can't you have a private ceremony and have your father walk you after the fact? If the private ceremony wasn't a real wedding, anyway, what difference does it make?

here at VJ there are a lot of couples that have been rejected from K1 because for this kinds of ceremony they were considered married couples. so better don't take any pic or share any pic through internet keep it to yourself

5 hours ago, Kathryn Banman said:

My fiance & I submitted our K-1 Fiance Visa package in November, 2016 and received our NOA1 on November 28, 2016. We have been talking about having a small private ceremony with our parents here in Canada where I live (potentially in March or April) before the forms go through and then I would live there (in the USA) with him until the forms go through (or until my 6 months are up). Since my dad is not permitted to enter the USA at this time (they say he was arrested recently but hasn't been arrested since his last impaired in 1984) he can't come to Boise or Portland for the official, legal wedding ceremony, which is why we want to do a small, private ceremony here in Canada so that my parents can be involved, too. No signing of any forms, just a private ceremony with our vows and me in a pretty dress. Once the forms go through we would do the "Official" legal marriage. We were just wondering if anyone has done this before and what their experience was? 

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew if since I recently obtained my Nexus/Global Entry Card (my fingerprints & background check for the USA were done in October, 2016) if that could potentially help make obtaining the K-1 faster? I am in the USA system already, and pretty recently at that, so I have hope that it will somehow make things go faster. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated! :)

DO NOT have any ceremonies at all.  Just get married after the K-1 is issued.  You can always go back to Canada and have another wedding for your family there.  You are asking for trouble.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.