zilchfox

GA Drivers License Renewal BEFORE EAD/Green Card Review

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Figured I'd post a review about renewing my drivers license with the Department of Driver Services (DDS) in Georgia. Normally they will only give you a license that's valid until the last day of your I-94 or other documents that prove your status. This is my experience of getting a renewal BEFORE I receive an EAD/AP or Green Card, but AFTER marriage and filing for AOS.

Showed up, brought the following documents with me:
- Passport with K-1 Visa

- Existing drivers license, which expiring Jan 11th 2017

- Original I-94, last date also for Jan 11th 2017

- All four I-797C's for AOS/EAD/AP/Biometrics Appointment

- Social Security Number Card

I get up to the counter, let the lady know that I'd like to renew my license with the one-time extension (listed at the bottom of this page) as I met the criteria for all three bullet points and I'll definitely require my vehicle to drive myself to the biometrics appointment on the 20th. I figured it'd be a piece of cake, however like life itself, of course it's not. At first, she looks at my license and she's said that I already got my one-time extension and that I can't do it again. I question her about it, as I entered on October 14th, got my initial license in November and said it makes no sense, I haven't even been in the U.S. for even 90 days yet, let alone 120. She then grabs some colleagues and they discuss among themselves for a few minutes, shuffling through my I-797C's and looking at the visa in my passport, deciding what to do. After a few minutes of that, eventually the colleagues said to my officer "just do it, look he's got an appointment in Atlanta on the 20th and he needs to drive to that, and he's got ample evidence that it wasn't extended before. Override the system, scan all the documents to cover yourself, and just charge him the $50 for renewal". Ouch, $50 for a one-time renewal! Oh well.

My license is now valid until May 10th. I guess there was some sort of system error where it said I had already extended it in the past. The officer was really friendly, just confused.

Edited by zilchfox

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

• 8 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

I was in the exact same situation as above.

I had taken the tests to get my driver's license before I got married on my K1. The driver's license was valid until the i-94. We married a month ago, and I filed for AOS, EAD, AP. I got back the notices of actions.

Yesterday, my driver's license expired. I went back today to ask for a renewal based on the document above.

The lady at the DMV wasn't sure that was valid but she was kind and called people who knew more about this without any attitude. They guided her through the process on the phone.

She needed my NOA1 for my i-485, but also checked the others. She needed my passport to scan, and my SSN (no card needed).

They had to take another picture. She explained it was valid another 4 months. That seems to be enough for the average EAD to arrive, I think.

I also had to pay 50 dollars. She did check with me first.

If anyone else does this, take into consideration the 4 months start from application, not the end of your driver's license. So if you can easily wait and not drive a week or two, then you might want to wait a while.

I can't go a day without my car, as I do the grocery shopping, and I go to the gym etc.

So good news for K1s in Georgia who want to drive!!

Thank you zilchfox, for the link you gave me. She based herself on that to call someone.

Edited by moosy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.