tru123go

Applying AOS (I130/I485) for Wife and Stepdaughter

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello everyone,

I was looking at the guides on how to fill out the I130/I485 (for AOS) and I am confused on how to do that for a wife and our daughter (stepdaughter to me).

Do I submit a single I130/I485 for both of them, do I submit a single I130 and two I485's, one for wife and one for stepdaughter, or do I do two completely full I130's and I485's, for each the wife and stepdaughter?

Both of them are here in the US.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

We, me and my two kids submitted a separate i-130 and I-485 for each one of us.

My husband who is the US citizen filed three I-130's and  me and my kids filed three I-485's.

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Just now, Dutchie2016 said:

We, me and my two kids submitted a separate i-130 and I-485 for each one of us.

My husband who is the US citizen filed three I-130's and  me and my kids filed three I-485's.

Okay, basically, a I130/I485 per individual who is here.

Man, lots of duplicate information. In your case, three bona-fide marriage packages that are exactly the same.

Was this all submitted in the same parcel of mail or as separate packages?

Timeline

In every application package we included a copy of our marriage certificate.

In the kids we added copies of school forms that listed my husband as their stepfather.

I made three different packages and send them as one package at once.

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

6 minutes ago, Dutchie2016 said:

In every application package we included a copy of our marriage certificate.

In the kids we added copies of school forms that listed my husband as their stepfather.

I made three different packages and send them as one package at once.

Wow. How did you have school forms with your husband as their stepfather? Did they go to school here or was this for school overseas?

That would basically be impossible for us.

Thank you for the information. That basically tells me what I needed, I130/I485 for each individual, wife and stepdaughter, all submitted as one big package, separated inside as specific packages for each individual.

Timeline

Its the school here, when we enrolled them at school we filled out all the paperwork and we listed him as the parent. But since they aren't official adopted by him yet, the best they could do is list him as stepfather on the forms. I assume your stepdaughter is going to school here? Maybe you can do the same.

Good luck and you will find a lot of helpful information on this wonderful website.

Edited by Dutchie2016

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

No she is not. She has only recently been here but she has visited here several times. She goes back to her home country for school. Her mother goes to school here.

That is why I say this would be impossible in our situation.

Timeline

I would assume she doesn't need a criminal history report since she is a minor. My kids are the same age and they don't need to do the bio metrics since they are under the age of 14.

But i don't know if there is any difference when the child is still living abroad.

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

4 minutes ago, Dutchie2016 said:

I would assume she doesn't need a criminal history report since she is a minor. My kids are the same age and they don't need to do the bio metrics since they are under the age of 14.

But i don't know if there is any difference when the child is still living abroad.

I think the difference is if you apply an I130 while abroad, the FBI can't run a background check so instead they ask for police reports from the country. Doing the I130 while in the US, the FBI can do a background check.

For the I485, you only submit documents if you have any criminal history at all, within the US, as far as I understand it.

Thank you for the reply.

Edited by Zyllos

Timeline

I found this

How many “police certificates” must the foreign spouse submit?

Applicants are required to obtain and submit police certificates that cover the entire period of their residence in certain localities. These certificates reflect whatever information the police authorities in that area have about them in their records. Generally, the applicant must obtain police certificates from any locality in their home country that they resided in for more than 6 months after reaching 16 years of age. They must also submit police certificates from any locality in a country other than their country of nationality in which they resided for more than 12 months after reaching 16 years of age. Finally, they must submit police certificates from any locality in in any country in which they have been arrested, regardless of their age at the time or the duration of their presence in that area. The State Department’s website has more information about police certificates, including how to request certificates from authorities in particular countries. Note that no police certificates are required to cover any time periods spent living in the United States.

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.