Jump to content
ShanghaiSurfer

Medical - Disease Found

23 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I've looked through many threads trying to find out the process if you fail the medical exam. I haven't been able to find an answer to my question. If they find a problem during the medical exam does the Doctor inform you or just put the results in the sealed brown envelope and you get a "nice" surprise during the interview.

 

I find it hard to believe they would let you walk around with a disease or medical issue without informing you. And if so does it make sense to get a physical done before you even go through the official medical process?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The medical is really not thorough enough to be valid as a physical exam for your own purposes. Most conditions you'll have to disclose yourself. They only look for signs of mental health issues, drug use and test for the most important communicable diseases (tuberculosis, syphilis, gonorhea). You will be informed if you "fail" the test, but it depends on the country what the procedure for that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, A'n'L said:

The medical is really not thorough enough to be valid as a physical exam for your own purposes. Most conditions you'll have to disclose yourself. They only look for signs of mental health issues, drug use and test for the most important communicable diseases (tuberculosis, syphilis, gonorhea). You will be informed if you "fail" the test, but it depends on the country what the procedure for that is.

That's good to know. Especially if it's the two latter communicable diseases you could just get a shot/meds and then retake the physical again a few weeks later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh god...I would hope that if you were examined then they would tell you if they found something. haha It would be unethical in my eyes to withhold that information about my own health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Oh god...I would hope that if you were examined then they would tell you if they found something. haha It would be unethical in my eyes to withhold that information about my own health.

+1 Exactly my thoughts as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cheezees said:

When I did the medical, the doctor gave me one sealed copy for USCIS and one for me. But this is a non-issue as all you have to do is ask for a copy of your medical records.

So presumably if there was a problem you could just throw those results away in sealed copy and then cure issue. Then schedule another exam at a later time. USCIS or Consulate would only get the most recent results since you are responsible for giving it to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ShanghaiSurfer said:

So presumably if there was a problem you could just throw those results away in sealed copy and then cure issue. Then schedule another exam at a later time. USCIS or Consulate would only get the most recent results since you are responsible for giving it to them.

In many countries the panel physician forwards the results directly to the consulate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, A'n'L said:

In many countries the panel physician forwards the results directly to the consulate.

That may be the case but find it hard to believe any physician would allow a patient to be walking around with a communicable disease. Would think ethically if not legally the doctor would have to inform you of the results if any medical issue since most get their test done a few weeks before the interview. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ShanghaiSurfer said:

That may be the case but find it hard to believe any physician would allow a patient to be walking around with a communicable disease. Would think ethically if not legally the doctor would have to inform you of the results if any medical issue since most get their test done a few weeks before the interview. 

Sure, but you wouldn't be able to "throw away" the report without the consulate seeing it (as suggested).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, A'n'L said:

Sure, but you wouldn't be able to "throw away" the report without the consulate seeing it (as suggested).

True. I guess in that case I would recommend rescheduling interview for a later date after treatment and retake the physical. Then when you do interview the second results should supersede the previous one. Assume you can do this in most consulates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They can if they see something that can be treated / a spot on the lungs of my husband was seen and needed 2 weeks of treatment before medical was passed

since he is from a country where the TB is high they look for any thing that may incicate a problem such as this.  HIs, forunately, was an infection and treatment took care of the problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×