LilaKappe

Medical Exam in UK, History of Depression/Self-Harm

3 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone, 

I am posting on behalf of my fianceé who will be undergoing her medical exam in London soon. She has a concluded history of depression and self-harm. What I mean by concluded is that no longer suffers from depression and has not self harmed in any manner for about ~3 years. She is currently getting a statement from the practice manager of her old counselors practice, certifying that they believe her to no longer to be a danger to herself and to have a dramatically improved mood. She is always getting a similar statement from her GP later this month. Is there anything more that she can do to prepare for the medical exam? And how rigorous is the mental health section of the exam? I think we've taken the right steps. Just trying to alleviate some pre-exam/interview anxiety.

Thank you all for your time.

Edited by LilaKappe

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I found this on VisaJourney regarding medical exams:  http://www.visajourney.com/content/medical.  I think it is a good idea to have this evidence, as it looks like it would satisfy any questions regarding past mental health issues. If questioned on forms or by the doctor, just note that this is a past, resolved condition and provide the doctors' notes.  

The page, above, contains a link to the medical forms, including this:  https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-693.pdf. I believe this form is actually for when an Adjustment of Status is done, and the initial screening may not go into this level of detail. (From what my fiance reported, the medical exam focused on physical tests, though they may have asked about other history; I'm not certain).  See page 7 of this form to see how they classify whether an issue is current or likely to recur and what information you can provide to show that the condition is resolved. 

I think as long as you are able to answer the questions with medical notes/evidence, you will be fine.  Good luck to you all!

7/16/2015: First communication online                     1/23/2017: Visa Received
4/24/2016: Got Engaged! (L)                                      2/1/2017: Entry into USA           
6/10/2016: Filed I-129F petition                                   3/4/2017: Got Married! (L)

6/18/2016: I-129F NOA1                                                4/10/2017: Filed AOS (I-485), EAD, AP

8/18/2016: I-129F NOA2                                                8/4/2017: Approved EAD with AP received

9/5/2016: NVC Received                                               11/8/2017: AOS Approved

9/15/2016: Consulate Received                                   11/16/2017: Green Card Received

11/28/2016: Interview Date - Approved!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Does she have any scars from the self-harm? I had scars from over 10 years before and the doctor saw it on the physical examination. I had to have a separate assessment with a psychologist and she turned in a report saying I was doing well at present. This was in Argentina though, different countries may differ. Wasn't an issue at all during the interview. 

Edited by lfl

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.