Jump to content

Taxes, ITIN and my wife's AOS

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Well, taxes are coming up which I know we all enjoy. My wife's and stepson's AOS was sent in June, an RFE came back and answered in August.  Been waiting since then to hear back from the Baltimore office.  

My wife has an SS number, but they would not give my step son a number and told my wife to come back with their lawful permanent resident for his.  I am hoping this would happen before the end of filing, but I also know I can file an ITIN for my stepson.  The concern I have is the IRS wants the passport for the ITIN. It is supposed to take 6 weeks to process.  If my wife needs to go to an interview for this, I am concerned they will want his passport as well and it may be still at the IRS.  


Should I:

A) Wait until the AOS is approved. If needed I know I can extend my tax filing time.

B) Send in the ITIN form and hope it comes back within the time period they have stated?  

C) Was the person at the SS administration incorrect, and my stepson should have received a SS number as well?


Any info is welcome.   I love our system in the US.  Not.







Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Kevin,


You do have a couple options...


1. If not received by the 4/18/17 deadline, you can file an extension and hope you are able to get the SSN for your stepson by Oct 2017.

2. You don't have an updated timeline so I'm not sure if you've applied for the EAD for both of them. The EAD is supposed to be approved within 90 days and with that in hand you can get a SSN for your stepson.

3. Find a local IRS office that accepts W-7 ITIN applications (submitted along with your tax return); these offices usually do identity document verification in-person and you can show his passport and have it returned back to you after they make a copy.


Good luck! :thumbs:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Klepley said:


My wife has her EAD but my step son is only 12. Will they give him a SS number with my wife showing her EAD?


Your stepson needs to present his own EAD card and does need to be present as well in the SSA office.

Edited by MariaR323

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.