Hakkenouw

Going abroad after K1 wedding and before AOS

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

First of all, I want to express my gratitude for all the valuable information on this website it has helped us a lot!

I still have one question, for which I did not manage to find the answer. I know that I have to marry within 90 days of arriving on a K1 and that I can not leave the states once I start the AOS till I receive that magic grass colored card (please correct me if I am wrong). However, once we are married can we still leave the country for a honeymoon and, upon arrival back in the states, enter the country on the ESTA/I-94?

Nope.

You will either need the AP (advanced Parole which allows you to travel if you haven;t received the GC yet) or the actual GC itself. The AP takes up to 90 days to receive after filing. The GC can take up to 6 months.

Do not make any plans that can't be changed until you have either of these documents.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

if you want to have your fiance back to her/his country and start the process all over again i would advise u wait till you get AP or GC , the usa has 50 states just do a honeymoon here

The topic was discussed many times.

Sure you can leave the States, no one holds you prisoner. But you will not be able to come back. You would have to go through the CR1 spouse visa, which takes about a year.

Apply for AoS before you leave, get your AP. Then you can travel.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Or...you could delay your honeymoon. Have an overnight in a nice city, pick a nice hotel...then plan your big getaway honeymoon for later. Good luck!

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

There are plenty of beautiful places in the USA to honeymoon! From snow to beach, surely you'll find the perfect place within the US states and territories. :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.