Jump to content

What happens after you enter?

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts



I've been granted a visa, my flights are booked for the end of this month and I've paid the ELIS fee. I know there will be a delay for my physical green card but I understand I can work using my stamped visa in my passport. What do I do to get a social security number? Do I need to do anything else?




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you ticked the form to get a SSN, it should arrive in the mail in a few weeks; if you want it quicker, wait about 10 days - 2 weeks from entry, then go to your local social security office and they should be able to give you your number.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your I-551 in your passport is your temporary "green card". You can start working with just that but can't get paid until you have your SSN. 


If you ticked the box for SSN in the ds-260 then it usually comes within two weeks

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.